Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

weapon r intake with apexi universal filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 12:59 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weapon r intake with apexi universal filter

I finally installed weapon r intake with apexi universal filter.
It wasn't easy but not too hard either to make adaptor for universal filter to weapon r intake pipe. I can feel it that it pulls little harder than weapon r dragon filter. I really don't like weapon r foam filter, just my opinion but it seems cheap. Apexi filter on the other hand is very high quality and I believe it's best filter out there. I will s-afc tune tomorrow and will post pics and my dyno results. I hope to have better numbers than my srt intake and s-afc combo.
Old 11-15-02, 02:01 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Default Apexi filter and weapon r intake is not a good combo.

I had my car s-afc tuned with weapon r intake today and the result surprised me. I thought that with apexi filter I would have better gain than weapon r intake filter. Not so, I lost more power with apexi filter. So I finally tuned with s-afc with weapon r intake with weapon r dragon filter and I had gained more than what I had with srt intake with s-afc. Maybe it's just my case but for me the result speaks for itself. When I had srt intake with s-afc, best dyno numbers I got when the engine was cool was peak hp of 169hp with 174ft-lb of tq. Now I live in denver with elevation loss of approx. 20 horses. So now with my weapon r intake with s-afc when my engine was hot. I got peak hp of 172 and 178ft-lb of tq. I presume to get little more when the engine is cooler. I got tired of waiting at the shop and didn't want to wait 30 mins or more to cool the engine down.
Now the thing is that its not just peak hp and tq gain matters, its way it does. I had erratic dyno numbers with srt intake, with weapon r I have more consistant graph, especially around 5100 rpm I had gain more than 20 horses from srt intake with s-afc.!!
Also my fuel graph is more stable. I gained consistant gain thru out the whole rpm range. Overall I am very happy with weapon r with s-afc, better result than srt intake. I guess srt is made to be used their ecu for best results. Now I am thinking about adding cold air ram kit for weapon r intake which should direct colder air to intake. I will let you know of results when I do.
My number should be around 175 horses when my engine is cold.
with consideration of elevation loss, I think my peak hp at sea level should be around 195 to 197.
Old 11-15-02, 09:26 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Great post kapdori! Couple of questions...
- When you had the SRT, did you not have their ECU?
- You have a GS300, correct?
Old 11-15-02, 12:19 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

mumbles,
I did have srt ecu with intake first then I got s-afc.
so when I had srt ecu with srt intake my best number was around 165hp. When I tuned intake with s-afc and removed ecu, the number increased to 169hp. Now with weapon r intake with s-afc, I am getting around 172.