Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anodizing or ceramic powder coat for intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 05:03 PM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anodizing or ceramic powder coat for intake?

Hey guys,

We've been working our tails off to get this development off the ground and need some advice from the members on this. On this new hood sealed intake system, should we do anodizing or ceramic powder coating?

I'm of the opinion that ceramic powder coating would be best for heat blocking but it will also increase price, whereas anodizing is relatively cheap and easy, could be done in house, and you can get some awesome custom colors dyed into the aluminum.

Currently the prototype only has a layer of heat resistent paint, which does little to nothing for staving off heat soak. It still produces great power, but I like things to be the best they can. I've seen some nice real world results with the ceramic powder coat but then again it could be a lot of work for little improvement.

What do you guys think? For reference, check out the vendor marketplace forum here.
Old 07-17-12, 06:25 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

How about powder coating? Could be done in-house with the right equipment, but I'm unsure of the start-up cots, per unit cost, thermo properties, and any advantages/disadvantages. Oh, what about wrinkle finishes? I almost did a DIY wrinkle coat on my SRI; supposedly the increased surface area from the wrinkles help disperse heat before.

But to answer your actual question...personally I'd like the ceramic coat.
Old 07-19-12, 08:34 AM
azndriver
Driver

I would vote for ceramic coating.....

oh and curious what is the diameter size of your intake pipe for this intake?
Old 07-19-12, 09:04 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

The diameter of the hood sealed intake is 3 inches, because anything larger is simply not necessary, produces no benefit, and would require recalibration of the maf sensor to accommodate.

Through our calculations of plenum/intake length, it was found that the Lexus engineers designed the stock intake to be more than sufficient at 3 (2.87 ID to be exact) inches as well. The 2GR-FSE motor,specifically, can produce its maximum torque at 4800 rpms with only a 2.25 inch diameter intake. Even the drop in filter was increased in size more than necessary by nearly 33% as well.

I assume the Lexus engineers over compensated because of the normal tendency of customers to NOT change their air filter. This would allow sufficient air to reach the engine even in some of the worst filtration conditions.

Our design allows for a simple installation, without having to "trick" the maf sensor. This is simply not necessary, allows for more error in system and provides virtually NO benefit, other than "look what we can do" marketing.

As far as the ceramic powder coating goes, I am currently research the viability to produce in house as well outsourcing to a local vendor, who has done excellent work for me in the past.