Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hi Flow Cats for 01 GS430 (NEED DETAILS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 07:19 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hi Flow Cats for 01 GS430 (NEED DETAILS)

Hi all, i've been on the forums for about almost a year now and from than to now, all ive done to my car was pointing in looks direction. Now i am interested in a bit more power from our 4.3 v8's

Im thinking about working from the inside out, meaning exhaust first, thinking about doing some headers and some hi flow cats. I was wondering if any other members has removed factory cats and replaced them with hi flow cats? any perticular brands that are good to buy from. im thinking about using PPE headers so..

ANY input would be much appreciated guys. thank you all for your time.
Old 07-23-12, 07:53 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Im also interested in this, I stumbled on Megan making a test pipe + down pipe for SC430, and Ive been wondering if it will also work for GS430 considering its the same engine.

http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...=1101&catid=11

http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...=1040&catid=10
Old 07-24-12, 07:24 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Yeah i've heard about Megans too. But im not sure if it the manifold is the same thing from the headers down.
Old 07-24-12, 12:15 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search on JBrady.

There is Little to no gain from hi-flow cats on our cars. He has done tons of research and testing and has come to this conclusion. It seems like Lexus has done a great job on our factory unit with fine balance between back pressure and regular flow.

You best bet is to get a set of PPE headers and a good axle back or even 3rd cat back exhaust for the sound factor.

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-24-12, 06:25 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the tips gsjake.

But yeah the reason I'm looking into doing the hi flow cats is because I'm worried that the oem ones are clogged. If they are then I need to replace them. I might as well upgrading to hi flow cats if I'm in there replace it.

I'm actually thinking about pulling the trigger and getting the ppe headers. As of now I'm on stock headers stock cats deleted third cat deleted resonators. Sounds ok I guess. I want oumph! LOLOLOL
Old 07-24-12, 07:14 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

I did a part number check with the 02 sc430 and 01 gs430 and both of them have the same part numbers for cats and down pipe.
Old 07-25-12, 01:50 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Ohh really?! nice so I can just buy those and hookin up with the PPE headers LOL
Old 07-25-12, 02:31 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

yep I think so, post a review of ppe headers if you get them. I'm interested in them but I'm worried about them cracking.
Old 07-29-12, 09:26 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i read the several other post of the PPE headers cracking. i would love the extended power but not sure if the headers problem were addressed.
Old 07-30-12, 05:44 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Well from what i know is that from PPE, I think they coat the headers with some type of solution. and ive seen other members heat wrap the crap outta them.
Old 07-30-12, 11:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by maxx430
i read the several other post of the PPE headers cracking. i would love the extended power but not sure if the headers problem were addressed.
no you didnt. please get your facts straight if you gonna post. the S&S headers were prone to crack the only issue the PPE ones have had was the drivers side didnt fit correctly and they were supposed to have fixed this on the current batches. i had to have my drivers header remade a few times as it was coming in contact with the steering shaft but no issues anymore

Originally Posted by neegroy
Well from what i know is that from PPE, I think they coat the headers with some type of solution. and ive seen other members heat wrap the crap outta them.
they use jethot to coat their headers, dont wrap them.....the wrap absorbs moisture and will cause rusting/cracking more quickly

ALSO just cause the part #'s are shared doesnt mean these will bolt in with no issues.....you may have to modify or rehang the down pipe/cats for clearance issues if their are any but as jbrady has always said and dyno proven their is no power gains to using aftermarket parts. the OEM is proven for N/A applications
Old 08-02-12, 07:49 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the input and useful knowledge sakataj

Yeah ive seen his write up about the hi flow cats and how they dont have any proven gains.

but what happens if you find that your cats are clogged? buy the new oem ones or go with aftermarket ones?
Old 08-02-12, 08:21 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,342 Posts

So much misinformation here

First off as sakataj has pointed out PPE headers don't crack.

Second - My quote from another thread:

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
PPE is the header of choice for the ISF crowd, me included, and really the only choice for other Lexus applications. I know PPE and their technicians and shop equipment are first rate. IMHO, their workmanship is second to none.
Third concerning HiFlow cats. I have them in my installation. I have a fabricated dual exhaust on my ISF utilizing modified stock mufflers. I'm not a fan of a lot of noise. I don't know how much power I got from the Cats, I never dynod just the cats. But, they do flow better than stock cats. My system with PPE headers and modified exhaust eliminated stock cats so I went with Magnaflow HiFlows.

Fourth, the only incident I've ever seen concerning workmanship of a PPE header was from a fellow who owned an SC430. After installation he claimed one of them was warped and therefore leaked, and he complained about it in a thread. PPE reached out to him, but he never reached back. Why he never contacted contacted PPE, I don't know.

For info, a pict of my system is attached showing the headers, cats, resonators, modified mufflers and the piping.

And - BTW, there is a GB going on right now for headers for the GS:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...design-gb.html

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Hi Flow Cats for 01 GS430 (NEED DETAILS)-exhaust7s.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 08-02-12 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 09:06 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

So lowrideraz are you saying that PPE headers DO crack?

thanks for the updates UPDATELOL

yeah im just mostly worried that the cats are clogged.

its just like a guy running a marathon normally, breathing through his mouth, taking big gasps of air (hi flow cats). or another guy running the same marathon breathing through a tinny tinnny straw. (clogged cats)

not that great of an analogy lol, but whatever works.

thanks for the info on the GB to lowrideraz

I spoke to PAUL from PPE. A couple of weeks ago when i checked the price for 01 gs430 it was $649.99 + shipping. I looked 2 days ago, and the price changed to $699.99 + shipping.
i was really REALLY close on pullin the trigger and buying it for $699.99 + shipping
Old 08-06-12, 09:33 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

So much misinformation here
thats what happens when the uninformed lead the uninformed

Fourth, the only incident I've ever seen concerning workmanship of a PPE header was from a fellow who owned an SC430. After installation he claimed one of them was warped and therefore leaked, and he complained about it in a thread. PPE reached out to him, but he never reached back. Why he never contacted contacted PPE, I don't know.
well, this is Indeed a odd scenario, i just read that post and i have dealt with the OP of this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-with-ppe.html

im curious why Moe, (OP) has been back online and hasnt answered any ?'s as to why he didnt get back in touch with Paul.i have said this in almost every post ever,when i refer to PPE, Paul has some of the best customer service in the industry. Also dude paid 1500 to install these? WOW im glad in installed my own!

dont take this offensively but just cause you haven't heard about the issues, doesn't mean they arent there....

they are well documented in these threads

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-gs-ls-sc.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...group-buy.html

most if not all have issues have been corrected but they ranged from.....

tiny unwelded areas of the flange
O2 bung welded on the on the top
drivers side not fitting (interference on the steering shaft) redesigned headers and some people were trimming the steering shaft covers off. i personally have had 2 drivers side headers remade. there are a few small other things and some things that need to be done but nothing major

from what i understand Paul had a few guys working for him who were "tards" and they are gone and the issues were said to be fixed. mine are so i cant speak about any others.

Originally Posted by neegroy
So lowrideraz are you saying that PPE headers DO crack?
no, he was reiterating the fact that i said they dont crack,hence the word DON'T that he also typed. Not ONE person has reported them cracking....now only time will tell if this holds true. if you new guys would slow down and read everything has been laid out before you, atleast one person on here has done the same mods you wanna do or done and yada yada yada

Last edited by sakataj; 08-06-12 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Hi Flow Cats for 01 GS430 (NEED DETAILS)