Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JoeZ intake, is it just a gimmick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 05:10 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by topspeed55
You really need to read my post more carefully. Yes I see those dyno tests average a 5 whp gain. It is ASSUMED they just swapped the Joe-Z tube in, BUT maybe what they DIDN'T tell you was they also put a fresh air filter in the STOCK AIR BOX when they took out the black rubber intake tube in place of the Joe-Z. How do YOU know they didn't do that? Get it now?

Yes it would be like saying how do we know if they didn't perform a tune-up on the car with the run using the performance header. Headers alone would give some gain but doing a full tune-up and going for a run would yield more horsepower gains when the car really needed a tune-up, and it is also considered lying with numbers.
No filter will give you anything more than maybe 1hp, and thats only if your previous filter was really dirty.

Im sure your not the only person who has questioned it, but JoeZ has been a long time member on the forums and has been active on here for a few years. If his intake didnt produce gains of 5whp, then you would see several people complaining about it.
Old 08-29-12, 06:56 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You really need to read my post more carefully.
Not really. You were asking how we know they didn't swap in a part that didn't even exist at the time.

Yes I see those dyno tests average a 5 whp gain. It is ASSUMED they just swapped the Joe-Z tube in
Yes, because that's what they said they did. And the cars tested were owned by other forum members who confirmed that's what they did.

, BUT maybe what they DIDN'T tell you was they also put a fresh air filter in the STOCK AIR BOX when they took out the black rubber intake tube in place of the Joe-Z. How do YOU know they didn't do that? Get it now?

yes, I get it. It's a pretty silly question though.

How do we know they didn't dyno a totally different car that made 5 more hp and renamed the car on the dyno sheet?

How do we know they even tested it? maybe they photoshoped the entire thing?

I mean, at some point you begin to sound like the folks who don't believe we landed on the moon... and you are rapidly approaching that point.

For that matter, when the original post was made, the 2IS hadn't even existed for more than about 8-10 months.

So it wouldn't have been possible for there to be "old dirty" filter in there since the car hadn't been on the road very long from new.

The intake has been for sale for many years now, many forum members have used it, including the two who were part of the original dyno testing and many others.

All of them seem to agree with the validity of the results.

You have presented nothing, at all, to cause anyone to question them other than "Well, how do we know that they're not ALL just lying...for... no... apparent reason...with 0 people who've actually used the intake disagreeing with them... but they COULD be all making it up!!!"

The only things you did present were two notions that would've required a time machine.

if Joe Z had a time machine he'd probably have better things to do to make money than fake dyno results.

Last edited by Kurtz; 08-29-12 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-29-12, 02:28 PM
slownlow07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pwnt! Anyways, good info.
Old 08-31-12, 12:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I guess I didn't miss much in here...

Thanks for ALL THE KIND words guys..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 09-03-12, 08:02 PM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

JoeZ is a stand up guy with an excellent product.

Give credit where credit is due. He innovated the 2IS aftermarket scene from scratch when the car first came out.
Old 09-03-12, 11:43 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Maybe another future vendor trying to mark his territory
Old 09-04-12, 12:49 PM
snaggle
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, having read all of this, I got convinced and bought a Joe Z intake... should be here soon...

Im curious to see if I can feel any HP gains... ( I am usually very good at even feeling the slightest gains)...
Old 09-05-12, 08:27 AM
Stavros
Rookie

Same here, bought one too and waiting for the delivery in the UK
Old 09-06-12, 12:55 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Who cares about the HP....It looks better and is NOT EXPENSIVE.
Old 09-08-12, 06:20 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

even if it has 0 gains its cheap and cleans up the look under the hood. People spend a lot more for less..... Just saying.... I personally have one and the quality it excellent.
Old 09-09-12, 02:08 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

Don't forget the noise! Makes the engine sound a little meaner from the cabin at higher RPMs even with stock airbox
Old 09-09-12, 02:55 PM
snaggle
Driver

Originally Posted by tedward88
Don't forget the noise! Makes the engine sound a little meaner from the cabin at higher RPMs even with stock airbox
MMM... So I got my Joe Z intake.

Got it installed, I let the "ecu brake in" as requested for 200 miles, which is unrealistic because the ecu would learn it in about 10 miles. They just say that because after 200 miles of driving, even if you did get a power increase, you wouldn't be able to tell. This way it has people believing it actually does gain 5hp, because most people will notice no power increase within the first day of installation which wont change after 200 miles, 400 miles, or 40 miles.... Its all marketing.

Anyways, couldn't feel any gains in power, and honestly could not hear any sound difference at all.

Overall I am not happy, but at the same time not angry. If you look at it in a different perspective... its a cosmetic mod for $140 (incl shipping)...
Old 09-09-12, 04:06 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by snaggle
MMM... So I got my Joe Z intake.

Got it installed, I let the "ecu brake in" as requested for 200 miles, which is unrealistic because the ecu would learn it in about 10 miles. They just say that because after 200 miles of driving, even if you did get a power increase, you wouldn't be able to tell. This way it has people believing it actually does gain 5hp, because most people will notice no power increase within the first day of installation which wont change after 200 miles, 400 miles, or 40 miles.... Its all marketing.

Anyways, couldn't feel any gains in power, and honestly could not hear any sound difference at all.

Overall I am not happy, but at the same time not angry. If you look at it in a different perspective... its a cosmetic mod for $140 (incl shipping)...
No one can feel 5whp.... still seems like you're out to make JoeZ products have a bad rep, which we have told and proved to you quite a few times that his products are excellent.
Old 09-09-12, 06:31 PM
gstuiep
Driver School Candidate

going to get a bag of popcorn...
Old 09-09-12, 07:56 PM
snaggle
Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
No one can feel 5whp.... still seems like you're out to make JoeZ products have a bad rep, which we have told and proved to you quite a few times that his products are excellent.
First of all, it has never been proved. And this is why I started this discussion.

Im honestly not trying to bash or down-talk JoeZ. I mean, I bought the product...

Im just giving my full and honest opinion.

To be honest I noticed a lot of the people here are just gullible on what they hear or see. I am just giving some light and heads up that not everything you hear or see is true.

Everyone keeps saying Joe Z is a great guy and an enthusiast himself. Well I am 100% sure that is true, but it has no relation to the products. Plus, any businessman who is trying to sell their products is going to be nice and friendly and join the "community" its also part of marketing, very common thing most businesses do.

Again, I am not bashing anybody or any company, I don't have any sort of business or anything to compete against ANYTHING.

ALL I am doing is giving my honest opinion and reviewing the product I bought. I could be completely wrong on the horsepower feel of course taking into consideration it is only 5whp.

But sound wise I honestly heard no difference with the stock airbox.

Again, these are all my opinions, dont mean to insult or bash anyone. Overall, I am "satisfied" with my JoeZ intake and plan to keep it on my car as it seems to be a better alternative to a short ram which most of the time would likely decreases horsepower due to very hot air....

Quick Reply: JoeZ intake, is it just a gimmick?