Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JoeZ intake, is it just a gimmick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 09:04 PM
snaggle
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JoeZ intake, is it just a gimmick?

Hey guys. So we all know about that JoeZ's intake is just a pipe, and they claim it gives 5 extra HP.

But if we all think about it, is it even possible that a replacement pipe that ALMOST has the exact same shape and diameter (I beleive it is like 0.25" thicker only!!) would make any difference at all??

I could only find 1 vid on youtube with a dyno, but they dont show the dyno, nor could I beleive it.
Most of the time id imagine its the JoeZ company itself claiming it makes 5hp just for marketing...

But nobody ever proved it makes 5whp, right?

It looks to be a good deal for an easy 5hp, and id definitely buy it if it made any difference at all, but can anyone confirm??

For the record I bought a K&N drop in air filter, and planning to make some holes in my stock airbox, just not sure to get the JoeZ pipe or not...
The following users liked this post:
chouavue10 (11-06-20)
Old 08-27-12, 02:28 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JoeZ intake has been Dyno proven
Old 08-27-12, 06:08 AM
snaggle
Driver

Originally Posted by A_Grasso
The JoeZ intake has been Dyno proven
That is completely not true though. That is honestly what is making everyone beleive it works.

First of all, that video on youtube does not show you the computer screen and show you the dyno results. The guy who made the vid simply said it gives +5hp on the comments...

Second of all, that video could easily be from the makers of JoeZ, or maybe they paid the guy to put it.

Im not saying its fake/rigged for sure, but there is a chance. If I knew for sure it give 5hp I would surely buy it, but there is no solid proof or evidence at all.
Old 08-27-12, 06:59 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

JoeZ himself is a member of this forum, and an asset to the Lexus community. The parts he produces are dyno proven and very high quality. He in no ways boosts his dyno numbers just to make his product look better. He even comes out to car meets to mingle and make himself a known member of the community, to show he isnt just out to make money, he enjoys helping everyone make their car a little more aggressive. Saw him at the Pursuit III last fall when i drove to Cali.

His intake may look similar to a stock intake, but the internal smooth walls of the JoeZ pipe are where they differ from the stock pipe which has ridges inside it. This causes a more laminar flow of air which in turn creates more HP, to be very basic here (and also causes it to give a little more "roar" where the ridges help negate noise, i believe).

Skepticism isnt a bad thing to have, but he does not lie about his products.
Old 08-27-12, 08:46 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The material, internal of the pipe makes a difference, as well as the deletion of this part:
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-12, 08:58 AM
snaggle
Driver

Originally Posted by reyoasian
The material, internal of the pipe makes a difference, as well as the deletion of this part:
So when installing the JoeZ pipe, where do those things connected to the stock intake pipe go? Do they just dangle around near the engine? What are they anyway?

From what I last remember when i looked at my stock intake pipe, there was 3 things attached to it. So i assuming with the JoeZ, all of those 3 things are removed?
Old 08-27-12, 09:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by snaggle
That is completely not true though.
Except for the part about it being true.

http://my.is/forums/f155/faq-joe-z-d...t-pics-283691/

With dyno charts even.

IS 250 White
6speed Manual - 4,401 miles

Base Run
Max Power 173.3 Max Torque 162.5

w/Joe Z Intake Installed
Max Power 179.3 Max Torque 168.1

Gains
Max Power = 6 RWHP* (rear wheel horse power)
Max Torque = 5.6

IS 350 Black
6 Speed Auto - 4,959 miles
THIS IS THE SAME IS350 WE USED IN THE FIRST DYNO TESTING DONE ON 3/9/2006

Base Run
Max Power 265.8 Max Torque 241.7

w/ Joe Z Intake Pipe Installed
Max Power 269.7 Max Torque 245.4

Gains
Max Power = 4 RWHP* (rear wheel horse power)
Max Torque = 3.7

(the * is to mention they used 4th gear, which is what you'd expect em to use, it being 1:1)

The '5 hp' often quoted splits the difference found in the two above dynos.
Old 08-27-12, 09:21 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
(the * is to mention they used 4th gear, which is what you'd expect em to use, it being 1:1)
Since it was done on an IS250 M/T, 4th is 1.185:1, 5th is 1:1.

Jeff
Old 08-27-12, 01:33 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snaggle
So when installing the JoeZ pipe, where do those things connected to the stock intake pipe go? Do they just dangle around near the engine? What are they anyway?

From what I last remember when i looked at my stock intake pipe, there was 3 things attached to it. So i assuming with the JoeZ, all of those 3 things are removed?
I mean't the only circle the square thingie, not the little tube lol
Old 08-27-12, 06:35 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

The square thingie doesn't connect to anything but the intake pipe itself. It is just a sealed box wiht one open end connected to the intake pipe to silence the induction sound.
Old 08-27-12, 10:36 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Do those dyno tests prove that the air filters weren't changed? How do we know an F-Sport drop-in filter was installed along with the intake tube? Or maybe the base run was with a really dirty filter and a new one was installed along with the intake tube?
Old 08-28-12, 06:05 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by topspeed55
Do those dyno tests prove that the air filters weren't changed? How do we know an F-Sport drop-in filter was installed along with the intake tube? Or maybe the base run was with a really dirty filter and a new one was installed along with the intake tube?
Uh... what?

The Joe Z doesn't replace the filter. At all. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the air filter.

Your question would be like asking "how can we trust the dyno result of these headers? for all we know they changed the spark plugs between tests????"

And FYI it has been on the market, and dynoed, since a couple years before the F-sport intake (or filter) even existed.
Old 08-28-12, 09:45 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Uh... what?

The Joe Z doesn't replace the filter. At all. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the air filter.

Your question would be like asking "how can we trust the dyno result of these headers? for all we know they changed the spark plugs between tests????"

And FYI it has been on the market, and dynoed, since a couple years before the F-sport intake (or filter) even existed.
You really need to read my post more carefully. Yes I see those dyno tests average a 5 whp gain. It is ASSUMED they just swapped the Joe-Z tube in, BUT maybe what they DIDN'T tell you was they also put a fresh air filter in the STOCK AIR BOX when they took out the black rubber intake tube in place of the Joe-Z. How do YOU know they didn't do that? Get it now?

Yes it would be like saying how do we know if they didn't perform a tune-up on the car with the run using the performance header. Headers alone would give some gain but doing a full tune-up and going for a run would yield more horsepower gains when the car really needed a tune-up, and it is also considered lying with numbers.
Old 08-28-12, 11:59 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Why are you so skeptical? This intake is made by a fellow CL member and IS dyno proven. All it replaces is your stock intake TUBE and NOT the filter. The dynos performed were with cars having around 5k miles. Even if you add an aftermarket air filter, your gains will be 0-1 hp. It would make no sense to replace your air filter at only 5K miles. Even if they did, that 0-1 hp wouldn't even show up. Just saying
Old 08-29-12, 12:38 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by topspeed55
You really need to read my post more carefully. Yes I see those dyno tests average a 5 whp gain. It is ASSUMED they just swapped the Joe-Z tube in, BUT maybe what they DIDN'T tell you was they also put a fresh air filter in the STOCK AIR BOX when they took out the black rubber intake tube in place of the Joe-Z. How do YOU know they didn't do that? Get it now?

Yes it would be like saying how do we know if they didn't perform a tune-up on the car with the run using the performance header. Headers alone would give some gain but doing a full tune-up and going for a run would yield more horsepower gains when the car really needed a tune-up, and it is also considered lying with numbers.
How do WE know that you drive a 2011 ISF and not an is250? You could of easily type in 2011 isf on your info but really you drive an is250. How do WE know huh?

Quick Reply: JoeZ intake, is it just a gimmick?