Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Testing: Cold Air Intake design, not a short ram hot air or enclosed filter setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 11:08 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Get your stuff on the market, man!!
10whp for an intake is def. a huge WIN on these cars. The ability to drop temp by more then 10, 20 or even 30 degrees = awesome!

Are you saying I should keep my water/meth kit?

I started reading up on NA Meth kits that run off of maf voltage....Not really seeing a down side to using this unless our ECU completely freaks out under certain loop maps. I :heart: water/meth

Originally Posted by SouthernSS
You are definitely right about the stop and go traffic and being unable to escape the heat soak. Even the OEM system builds heat significantly in that type of environment.

During the prototyping/testing phase of our intake, our average IATs during constant velocity averaged 5-6 degrees warmer than ambient, which was on par with OEM. The fact that you are showing slightly better intake temps isnt surprising, but probably wont register with much benefit either. You'd need to drop temperature by at least 11 degrees(all other things equal) to even see a less than 1% increase in horsepower output.

I do commend you efforts though! THis is the type of ingenuity and work ethic necessary to advance the aftermarket platform for this very capable engine. Bravo!

We do have some plans drawn up to address this heat soak problem for racing applications. MMMmmmm....a shot of cold air to reduce IATs by 40 degrees sure sounds nice. Doesnt it? And no, it isnt nitrous

Last edited by mikellucci; 08-31-12 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-31-12, 01:48 PM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, I'd keep your meth injection kit. If you could just wire it in under WOT I think that'd be the best use. The ecu is the smartest I've seen. I think it can handle the meth injection just fine.

Last edited by SouthernSS; 08-31-12 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 06:22 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by SouthernSS
yes, I'd keep your meth injection kit. If you could just wire it in under WOT I think that'd be the best use. The ecu is the smartest I've seen. I think it can handle the meth injection just fine.
Agree, I absolutely luv working "with" the stock ecu!
When my CMGS coolingmist kit arrives I'll be messing with the min/max spray looking to target -4 hg thru -1 hg to spray. I think the sweet spot will be WOT but there should be room to get the most bang for buck having it come on just a bit sooner under load.

Do you think utilizing a larger diameter piping for the intake will help or hinder performance in terms of A/F? I want to lean this thing out a bit w/ the stock ecu..
Old 09-04-12, 08:29 AM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Honestly, I'm not sure what'll happen if you use a larger diameter pipe without altering the maf signal. Keep in mind that the throttle body will still be the bottleneck and you'll also be reducing the velocity of the air over the maf sensor.

My first guess is it'll throw a too lean code. My second guess is that'll adjust fuel to get it back to stock until it runs out of room....then maybe throw a code.

I'm really not sure.
Old 09-04-12, 11:20 AM
whitecel
Pole Position

Any updates on the intake? Mainly an eta
Old 09-04-12, 07:50 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't drive in the rain. I don't want to see another owner lose their engine due to hydrolock. My friend is one of them.
Old 09-05-12, 05:06 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by SCWB
Please don't drive in the rain. I don't want to see another owner lose their engine due to hydrolock. My friend is one of them.
Hydrolocking is sooo JDM 2002.
If anything I'll freak the ecu out dumping too much water/meth pre-WOT.
Old 09-05-12, 06:21 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Hydrolocking is sooo JDM 2002.
If anything I'll freak the ecu out dumping too much water/meth pre-WOT.
It's timeless truth.... No matter 2002 or 2012 That low-hanging intake design is susceptible to ingesting water during rain. It doesn't have anything to do with ECU. It's up to the physical design and location of the intake openning.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I overlook that you have any system to prevent water from ingesting into the intake during the heavy rain??
Old 09-06-12, 02:16 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

With a proper intake air filter, it will repel water on the surface of the element. But of course if you submerge the thing, all that goes out the window.
Old 09-07-12, 06:58 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I performed this MOD back in 2006 when the car was @ 2 weeks old.

I dont remember much data but I do have some dyno number floating around CL that prove the CAI gained @ 2-3WHP over the short ram type. The power band moved down to @4000 rpm which made the car alot more snappy. And I did lose power up top until I added the Blitz Stainless Filter.

From what I remember my final dyno numbers were
281 WHP
265 WTQ

With my mods being:
Custom CAI with Blitz Stainless mesh
Apexi SAFC
Custom 2.5 inch midpipe to HKS Axle back exhaust

A/F ratio tuned to 14.0 WOT with the Apexi SACF

Last edited by HKS350; 09-07-12 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-07-12, 07:02 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by HKS350
I performed this MOD back in 2006 when the car was @ 2 weeks old.

LOL, should have known you toyed with this in your early days with the car!

I'm going to make a 3.25" inner diameter pipe and see what happens here shortly...want leaner!
Old 09-07-12, 07:18 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea I think I have performed almost every "ricer mod" to this IS.
I can say it has held up very well.

I have screwed with the motor from day one and it has always liked it.

The pipe I used was a K&N 3.5 inch upper to a Honda Civic/Autozone 3 inch lower.
I could never get the A/F ratio up above 11.5 - 12.0 with just the intake.

You should really try the Apexi SAFC. The power band smooths out so nicely at 14.0 AFR.
Old 09-07-12, 07:35 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by HKS350

You should really try the Apexi SAFC. The power band smooths out so nicely at 14.0 AFR.
One of these things? I dont think I used one of these since like 2002 on a Honda.

Old 09-07-12, 09:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Doesn't the ECU just tune the AFC changes back out via O2 feedback after a bit? that's what Gernby found way back, hence why he had to make a more advanced piggyback system to work around it...

Or are you talking just for WOT/track/dyno use, rather than everyday use?
Old 09-07-12, 09:31 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Personally, I'm talking everyday use. Thats why I'm trying larger intake piping to see what the stock ecu will lean out to (doesnt sound like much).

Quick Reply: Testing: Cold Air Intake design, not a short ram hot air or enclosed filter setup