Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installing Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 09:16 PM
FinsIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Intake question

Im debating whether installing the intake myself to my IS250 with friends or at the dealership. the thing is that the dealer told me they needed to reset or do some configuration with the computer in the engine, and I am not sure how to do that or what they mean?
my friends say all you have to do is disconnect the battery or remove a fuse. any advice would be appreciated!

thank you
Old 08-30-12, 09:24 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it's an easy 20min DIY job...........so do that and you can also learn your own car better

the dealer just means to tune to intake since your air fuel ratio and everything is messed up now that you're intaking more air........but it's just an intake, it doesn't really matter at all......you might get a slight drop in mileage without tuning it, but this won't matter either bc for first couple weeks your mileage is gonna drop drastically anyway from you constantly flooring it to hear the beautiful new stereo system
Old 08-30-12, 09:25 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install it yourself it's so easy and save yourself the money...
Old 08-30-12, 10:20 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search on this forum and you'll find plenty of information on how you can install the intake by yourself and reset the ECU without disconnecting the battery. I thought I was gonna need help installing it when I got my intake, but I'm glad I learned to do it myself.
Old 08-30-12, 10:24 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just disconnect the battery, install the intake (very easy) and then reconnect the battery again.
You should be able to do it all yourself within 30 minutes! Save yourself the $$
Old 08-30-12, 10:40 PM
FinsIS250
Driver School Candidate

Default tune the intake

HOW do you tune the intake

Originally Posted by reyoasian
it's an easy 20min DIY job...........so do that and you can also learn your own car better

the dealer just means to tune to intake since your air fuel ratio and everything is messed up now that you're intaking more air........but it's just an intake, it doesn't really matter at all......you might get a slight drop in mileage without tuning it, but this won't matter either bc for first couple weeks your mileage is gonna drop drastically anyway from you constantly flooring it to hear the beautiful new stereo system
Old 08-30-12, 10:44 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All you really have to do is disconnect the battery and reconnect it later. This will reset the ECU. There is also a way you can do this without removing the battery, just by removing a fuse and putting it in again. That's all you have to do, the car will automatically adjust itself afterwards.
Old 08-30-12, 10:51 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it took me 45mins to install mines a few week back and im a 100% newb in this but got the job done easily..

disconnect neg battery and install easyyyy
Old 08-30-12, 11:01 PM
gerill2p
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was thinking the same question. So just disconnect the battery, install intake, then reconnect battery? im guess im ordering something new this payday:P
Old 08-30-12, 11:09 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gerill2p
i was thinking the same question. So just disconnect the battery, install intake, then reconnect battery? im guess im ordering something new this payday:P
Yea, either disconnect the battery or more easily, just disconnect the fuse of the ECU and reconnect.
Old 08-31-12, 06:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The ECU is constantly learning, so it'll learn any needed changes as you drive it, even if you leave the battery connected during install.

Disconnecting the battery isn't an awful idea just in case you screw something up and short the MAF connector or something I guess... but there's no "tuning" reason it needs to be done.

But I've installed enough intakes I didn't bother to touch the battery when I put my F-sport on, there's really no need to if you do everything right.
Old 08-31-12, 06:55 AM
FinsIS250
Driver School Candidate

Default Installing Intake question

Thank you all,

I guess Ill locate the fuse remove it and put it back on after its installed. I need to look at a DIY guide for installing it, this would be my first time.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The ECU is constantly learning, so it'll learn any needed changes as you drive it, even if you leave the battery connected during install.

Disconnecting the battery isn't an awful idea just in case you screw something up and short the MAF connector or something I guess... but there's no "tuning" reason it needs to be done.

But I've installed enough intakes I didn't bother to touch the battery when I put my F-sport on, there's really no need to if you do everything right.
Old 08-31-12, 01:13 PM
diablo1714
Driver

Install Guide

Good Luck !
Old 08-31-12, 01:57 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I installed my intank with the battery connected. The ECU soon learns (within minutes of normal driving) that you are sucking in more air, and the ECU conpensates for it. Just be careful with the MAF sensor!!!
Old 08-31-12, 01:58 PM
SouthernSS
Former Sponsor

Like Kurtz said, the ecu will learn over time anyway. If you reset your ecu, it will just learn a little faster.

Honestly though, we're talking about power gains of MAYBE 5whp, which you wont necessarily notice. Just install it yourself and dont worry bout it.

Quick Reply: Installing Intake question