Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 09:33 AM
LaVaism
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Intake Questions

Okay so just to start this off; I am a Network/Systems Engineer. Meaning I know computers very well. I know very little about cars except I like to drive them fast and I like the mean growl.

I know everyone here really likes the JoeZ intake; so I was thinking of getting that (and it comes in blue so it fits the theme). But it is also functional.

I noticed the car has a ram air type intake which I like because I would assume that it brings in more cold air (I know cold air = better)

So I was thinking doing the Joez Intake with F-Sport lower box and high flow filter.

I also want that mean growl when I hit the gas. So what makes that? I noticed people saying the Joez is pretty quiet, but the Takebe is really loud. What is the difference? I thought most of the performance came fromt he smooth pipe which made the air flow better.

Also if I went with another system does it still use the intake (I think you guys refer to it as a snorkle) or does it pull in more hot air from the engine bay? Also i want to key the bay covers installed so something that will still work with those as well. Loving popping the hood and it just looks so clean.

I plan on getting an exhaust in the near future too, I was thinking F-Sport as I really don't want the ricer cans on the back, I like that stock look with just a mean growl.

I am not looking for insane performance gains, I'll get those from the PPE Headers I am adding to my list.

I have been searching the forums and reading and reading so sorry if it's a Noob question but I figure some of you know a whole lot more than me so can't hurt to ask.
Old 09-20-12, 10:05 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

None of the intakes for the 2IS are cold air, since that would require drilling thourgh the metal in the engine bay.

The JoeZ/Fsport intakes are on the quiet side because they use an oem type of filter.

All other short rams are louder because they have cone air filters so they suck in more hot air which may actually make you lose power. The loudest SRIs are the Takeda or K&N.
Old 09-20-12, 02:04 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some are claimed CAI but are SRI in reality

If you want sound go for K&N
Old 09-20-12, 02:19 PM
LaVaism
Pole Position

With the K&N does it still use the air intake scoop in the front of the car?

I am more interested in performance gains (even if slight) I guess I can always get the mean growl from the exhaust.

With the JoeZ what type filter would be recommended? I was also thinking getting the Fsport intake box but don't know if that would really help, I know it has the hole to take in extra air if I remember correctly
Old 09-20-12, 02:59 PM
supralative
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaVaism

I am more interested in performance gains (even if slight) I guess I can always get the mean growl from the exhaust.

With the JoeZ what type filter would be recommended? I was also thinking getting the Fsport intake box but don't know if that would really help, I know it has the hole to take in extra air if I remember correctly
The intake I used on the wife's car uses the intake scoop. Overall it was a good system.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...xperience.html
Old 09-20-12, 03:38 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You wont feel 5hp so its basically pointless. If you want gains, trade your car in for a 350 or F.

The JoeZ keeps the stock air intake box, it only replaces the intake pipe
Old 09-20-12, 04:58 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The hole in the F-sport lower box is just for more noise, not more air. The OEM intake box is capable of sucking in more than enough air for your car. I have the Joe-Z intake, original intake box, and bought the F-sport reusable filter so I don't have to buy a new one every time it gets dirty.
Old 09-20-12, 05:45 PM
LaVaism
Pole Position

Well I have to admit everyone on here has nothing but good things to say about the Joez intake (well except for one person but we won't go there) so I think I am going to get that along with a reuseable filter. Even if it does not give me the perfect growl that I am looking for, I'll leave that up to the exhaust. I am sure the PPE Headers will help out too.

Once again though, thank you everyone for your opinions. Really helps in making a sound decision.
Old 09-20-12, 08:42 PM
supralative
Pole Position

Well I have to admit everyone on here has nothing but good things to say about the Joez intake (well except for one person but we won't go there) so I think I am going to get that along with a reuseable filter.

me?
if it was what do you mean by we wont go there?
Old 09-20-12, 08:49 PM
LaVaism
Pole Position

Originally Posted by supralative
me?
if it was what do you mean by we wont go there?
No not you, referring to an old post I saw on here a while back ago.
Old 09-20-12, 08:58 PM
supralative
Pole Position

gotcha
i wasnt sure thats why i asked
good luck with your car
Old 09-21-12, 04:51 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really there are no differences between the JoeZ intake and the F-Sport intake tube. The real difference comes in with the filter and lower box. The whole setup has a nice OEM look to it.

For sound, just look at the SRIs. Check with your state regarding emissions. Like here in CA, you need a CARB sticker for it. (There are plenty of threads on this, and a whole section on set ups that will pass smog testing)
Old 09-22-12, 10:33 AM
es808
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the K&N intake, all of the stock intake components will be removed including the air intake scoop. The filter will sit in the space where the stock air box now sits and the intake tube will go from there to your throttle body.

No CAI available for the IS on the market. There was a member who made his own but he has a tubing bender in his garage.