Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS 250 AWD exhaust leaks and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 04:38 PM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default IS 250 AWD exhaust leaks and replacement

On my 06 AWD with 100K ,I developed four leaks.Mid pipes(both sides) where heat shield starts around clamps.Bad design.Where can I get cheap,loud or not whole exhaust for AWD?! A lot of www show only 2WD.Anyone?
Old 10-05-12, 06:07 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

AWD and 2WD exhaust systems are all the same.
Old 10-05-12, 10:00 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrotang
AWD and 2WD axle back systems are all the same.
fixed
10char
Old 10-05-12, 11:07 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

^ that's what I meant, haha
Old 10-08-12, 03:34 PM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-question.html What about this link which by the way I posted to a wrong subject before.
Old 01-03-13, 10:34 AM
blackgpgt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car has less than 80,000 Lexus will replace the midpipe for free at any dealership..Invidia midpipe will not work with the awd model unless you do some modification...All axle-backs for the 250 and 350 are the same
Old 01-04-13, 03:54 PM
adamdmc13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmk720
On my 06 AWD with 100K ,I developed four leaks.Mid pipes(both sides) where heat shield starts around clamps.Bad design.Where can I get cheap,loud or not whole exhaust for AWD?! A lot of www show only 2WD.Anyone?
I just got mine fixed. Got 144k miles. Took the heat shields off and welded the holes up. Temporary fix but its a lot quieter now! I'm looking for a new exhaust system too ... any recommendations???
Old 01-07-13, 03:26 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't understand why the stock ones aren't stainless steel
Old 03-08-13, 06:59 AM
TJR
Driver School Candidate

Im still very confused as to why nobody makes a freaking mid-pipe for an AWD IS250.
Old 03-10-13, 09:46 AM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a common problem? If so I'm gonna go have mine checked lol
Old 05-13-17, 09:04 AM
08LexusIS2
Driver School Candidate

Is that true that they will replace the mid pipe for free. My car is a 08 with 72,000 miles...
Old 05-14-17, 07:22 AM
Arrta
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine failed inspection because of leaks around the heat shield. Dealer wanted $900+ for the parts alone never mind labor. Took it to a exhaust shop, they took off the heatshield (****ty design as it captures salt and promotes corrosion) cut out the affected section and welded in about 12-14 inches of new pipe, cost $240.
Oh, and this had to be done on both sides because there were microleaks on both sides.
Old 05-15-17, 09:01 AM
08LexusIS2
Driver School Candidate

Default IS 250 AWD exhaust leaks and replacement

Originally Posted by Arrta
Mine failed inspection because of leaks around the heat shield. Dealer wanted $900+ for the parts alone never mind labor. Took it to a exhaust shop, they took off the heatshield (****ty design as it captures salt and promotes corrosion) cut out the affected section and welded in about 12-14 inches of new pipe, cost $240.
Oh, and this had to be done on both sides because there were microleaks on both sides.
I went to my favorite mechanic and he said that OEM parts would cost me like $3,000 to replace the whole system. He cut the affected part and patched it for $50. But, unfortunately it was a band aid and the leak moved to a different section of the pipe. I went to a moonlighting Midas guy and he offered to do it for $200 cash. I'm coming up on inspection so I need to get it done soon, but if Lexus will do it for free then I would rather go to Lexus and get the factory replacement. I'm gonna call Lexus.
Old 05-16-17, 07:15 AM
08LexusIS2
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy IS 250 AWD exhaust leaks and replacement

Originally Posted by 08LexusIS2
Is that true that they will replace the mid pipe for free. My car is a 08 with 72,000 miles...
Didn't hear a response here so I went directly to Lexus and unfortunately the Warranty that someone mentioned here is not unlimited.

BASIC WARRANTY

The Basic Warranty coverage is for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Wheel alignment and balancing are covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus, except in the following situations:
  • Fire, accidents or theft.
  • Abuse or negligence.
  • Misuse—for example, racing or overloading.
  • Improper repairs.
  • Alteration or tampering.
  • Lack of or improper maintenance, including use of fluids other than those specified in the Warranty and Services Guide.
  • Airborne chemicals, tree sap, road debris (including stone chips), rail dust, salt, hail, floods, windstorms, lightning and other environmental conditions.
  • Water contamination.
  • Noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear.
  • Odometer tampering so actual vehicle mileage cannot be determined.
  • Inability to determine the original factory-assigned vehicle identification number.
  • Any vehicle that has been issued a "salvage" title or similar title under any state’s law. This also includes cars that have been declared a "total loss" or equivalent by a financial institution or insurer, such as by payment for a claim in lieu of repairs because the cost of repairs exceeded the cash value of the vehicle. This exclusion does not apply to the emission control warranties with later usage.
  • Incidental or consequential damage associated with vehicle failure. Such damages include but are not limited to inconvenience; the cost of transportation, telephone calls and lodging; the loss of personal or commercial property; and the loss of pay or revenue.
  • Normal maintenance services, such as engine tune-ups; replacement of fluids and filters; lubrication; cleaning and polishing; replacement of spark plugs and fuses; and replacement of worn wiper blades, brake pads/linings and clutch linings.
  • Tires, which are covered by a separate warranty provided by the tire manufacturer.
  • The Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS)7* Program is a one-time, complimentary offer for new vehicles for the first 12 months from the date the vehicle is sold. LS, ES and RX models with Navigation System allow the driver to change settings. Please see your Lexus dealer for more information.

POWERTRAIN WARRANTY

The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:

ENGINE

Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets;

TRANSMISSION AND TRANSAXLE

Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets;

FRONT-WHEEL-DRIVE SYSTEM

Driveshaft, axle, hub, bearings, seals and gaskets:

REAR-WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM

Differential carrier assembly, driveshaft, axle carrier, axle case, axle bearing, axle shaft, seals and gaskets:

HYBRID VEHICLE SYSTEM

Hybrid System Warranty coverage is for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and covers the following components: hybrid control module, hybrid battery control module, hybrid battery and inverter with converter. See your Lexus dealer for complete details on the Lexus Powertrain Warranty.

CORROSION PERFORATION WARRANTY

This warranty covers repair or replacement of any original body panel that develops perforation from corrosion (rust-through), subject to the exceptions listed in the Basic Warranty page. The Corrosion Perforation Warranty coverage is for 72 months, regardless of mileage.

See your Lexus dealer for complete details on the Lexus Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

PARTS WARRANTY

The Lexus Service Part Warranty is in effect for 12 months, regardless of mileage, from the date the part(s) was installed on the vehicle, or the remainder of any applicable new vehicle warranty, whichever provides greater coverage, with the exception of batteries. For details on service part warranty coverage for batteries, please see your Lexus dealer.

Any repair or replacement that becomes necessary because of a defect in the service part is warrantable, with the exception of the items listed under "What is not covered."

Any part for which proof of original installation or purchase date cannot be provided is not warranted.

Parts that are considered normal maintenance items, which are replaced as part of the normal maintenance service, are not warranted unless a defect in materials or workmanship is found to exist.

Labor is not warranted for over-the-counter service part replacements.
Old 11-19-17, 02:21 PM
pritchardt
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Leak: Removed Heat Shields. is250 2008 AWD

I removed the heat shields on both sides of my exhaust after it developed large cracks in a perfect ring where the heat shields end. The shape must retain moisture or something. I applied some exhaust tape over the cracks and after 1 day, so far so good. I am wondering if removing the heat shield is okay, or if I'm going to hurt my car.

Is the heat shield to block heat from the undercarriage of the car? It seems like it's engineered more to retain heat on the exhaust pipes. I feel like with the heat shield gone the air passing underneath the car would remove heat faster than with the heat shield.

I read that it is to warm up the exhaust and cats faster, but I've also read it's to stop your car from melting in sensitive areas. Does anyone have a definitive answer? From a heat transfer perspective it would make sense that it is engineered to heat up the exhaust faster.

Above the heat shield that is on the exhaust is more heat shield material that I assume is sufficient for stopping the exhaust heat from harming the bottom of the car.

Quick Reply: IS 250 AWD exhaust leaks and replacement