Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lexus is350 ECU tuning. Finally possible??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 07:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Joss350
Hey guys, as we all know our ECU was almost imposible to modify. A friend of my got his cars ECU tuned (c32 amg) from Eurocharged performance, so i decided to email them just by curiosity and they responde me this:

Can it be possible?? i am strongly thinking about triying it. What do you think about it??

PD: English is my second language, sorry if i made some mistakes.
Honestly - no. It isn't possible. If wishes could make it happen, well, life would be different, but no, it can't be done.
Old 10-31-12, 01:15 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe we are just SOL with our ECU's, I am thinking if there was something out there, it would have happened long ago since our 2IS's came out 6 years ago. But I am reassuring that Eurocharged won't scam you out of a stock ISx50 ECU if that is indeed Jerry Thorton you are talking to....maybe someone in SoCal should give it a shot?
Old 10-31-12, 10:07 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy415
Maybe we are just SOL with our ECU's, I am thinking if there was something out there, it would have happened long ago since our 2IS's came out 6 years ago. But I am reassuring that Eurocharged won't scam you out of a stock ISx50 ECU if that is indeed Jerry Thorton you are talking to....maybe someone in SoCal should give it a shot?
sure, they won't scam you out of a stock ISx50 ECU. but since they won't be able to do anything w/ a stock ISx50 ECU, your money is as good as gone.

good luck trying to get a refund from them when they send back your ISx50 ECU and come to find out nothing's been done.

I wouldn't be so quick to "reassure" anything.
Old 10-31-12, 10:49 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, you'll definitely want to perform a checksum before and after to determine if anything was actually changed
Old 10-31-12, 12:37 PM
2010Lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People said the same exact things about the dodge neon SRT4's ecu it took 5 or 6 years but finally they came out with a ecu flasher. As soon as a company sees a profit in it, one may actually become available. As far as the ecu trade in, back in the day the company would send you the reflashed ecu first and when they got yours in they would refund the core charge.....
Old 10-31-12, 05:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 2010Lex
People said the same exact things about the dodge neon SRT4's ecu it took 5 or 6 years but finally they came out with a ecu flasher. As soon as a company sees a profit in it, one may actually become available. As far as the ecu trade in, back in the day the company would send you the reflashed ecu first and when they got yours in they would refund the core charge.....
So, following this logic, would it not make sense someone would have cracked the MkIV Supra's ECM by now? No one has, and no one will for a number of technical reasons, and the way Toyota architects their ECMs, it's not going to happen unless someone figures out how to get the development platform out of Toyota's hands and into their own with the crypto keys intact.

There is a rumor Novel can revise the maps in Toyota products in Japan, and iCode seems to be able to do this for the IS-F. It is still unknown if it can be done to a US market ECM. The one thing that won't happen - no one is going to "crack" Toyota's ECM.
Old 10-31-12, 05:48 PM
Joss350
Driver School Candidate

Soo!! what do you think about using an Apexi Neo?? does it works well?? has somebody use it?
Old 10-31-12, 06:01 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say about eurocharged is that they are a VERY VERY VERY VERY reputable tuner.

Being a part of the mercedes world for a couple years, they are to mercedes what sewell lexus is to us.

Other than that, I know jack squat
Old 10-31-12, 06:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
All I can say about eurocharged is that they are a VERY VERY VERY VERY reputable tuner.

Being a part of the mercedes world for a couple years, they are to mercedes what sewell lexus is to us.

Other than that, I know jack squat
And cracking Mercedes or BMW or any of the euro engine management wasn't that difficult until very recently. Now it is practically impossible, just like Toyota.

We're going to see the aftermarket in ECM tuning dry up for new model vehicles very shortly. The measures the OEMs are taking will make cracking an ECM not cost effective on late model vehicles. It's already started, and it's just a matter of time for the industry as the tuners lose the ability to modify newer platforms.

Every time I run into someone from the OEM world I ask them why they don't sell a motorsports only ECM with parameters any tuner can adjust. I keep getting blank stares in response. It's really frustrating.
Old 11-01-12, 01:23 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
sure, they won't scam you out of a stock ISx50 ECU. but since they won't be able to do anything w/ a stock ISx50 ECU, your money is as good as gone.

good luck trying to get a refund from them when they send back your ISx50 ECU and come to find out nothing's been done.

I wouldn't be so quick to "reassure" anything.
I'm not sure what kind of shops you deal with but usually what happens when a person is lending there car or parts for further development or research, is that they usually get the product for free or if not a VERY generous discount is given. I don't think any company (any reputable company that is) would take your car & time to develop performance parts for it & then not compensate you at the very least, if so then yeah SCAM & the person who brought there car in would be a idiot. & yes I do reassure you that Eurocharged is a legit company Jesus Christ, look them up. I would go as far as calling them the "Joe Z" of the MB world. My friend is looking to have his E55 tuned personally by Jerry Thorton himself very soon in the future.

Last edited by ImportISF; 11-01-12 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-01-12, 10:06 AM
TrueStreet
Driver

What happen to the Apexi piggy back unit that someone was running?
Old 11-01-12, 12:30 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueStreet
What happen to the Apexi piggy back unit that someone was running?
Only one I'm aware of was a couple folks have run basic Apexi SAFC type things- the ECU tunes the changes back out after 50-100 miles, so it's useful for some 1/4 mile runs at the track, but not much else.

Only "tuning" that does anything useful long term are the more advanced (and expensive) piggyback units like the MAPECU3 or F-con Pro... even then they don't add enough to nearly justify the costs for an NA vehicle though (talking like 5-10 hp)
Old 11-01-12, 12:58 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepy415
I'm not sure what kind of shops you deal with but usually what happens when a person is lending there car or parts for further development or research, is that they usually get the product for free or if not a VERY generous discount is given. I don't think any company (any reputable company that is) would take your car & time to develop performance parts for it & then not compensate you at the very least, if so then yeah SCAM & the person who brought there car in would be a idiot. & yes I do reassure you that Eurocharged is a legit company Jesus Christ, look them up. I would go as far as calling them the "Joe Z" of the MB world. My friend is looking to have his E55 tuned personally by Jerry Thorton himself very soon in the future.
if you've failed to understand anything else that's been reiterated and beaten to death in this thread, let this be your one and only takeaway.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
the way Toyota architects their ECMs, it's not going to happen unless someone figures out how to get the development platform out of Toyota's hands and into their own with the crypto keys intact.
(rough translation: no one outside of toyota can crack/tune the ECU.)

having said that, if i charged you a certain amount of money and "borrowed" your ECU to do some "tuning" (when it's documented several times in this thread AND in the forums in general that it's impossible), then returned your ECU back to you without having done anything to it... you know what that's called?

yep; a "scam".

now, all of the sudden Eurotuned is offering something that simply can't be done, and it's not a "scam"? or are you so brainwashed that you can't see the writing that's been on the wall ever since the 2is was released back in 2006? just because they can do it with an ECU from an later-model AMG car doesn't mean they can do it for an ISx50 ECU. again, "no one outside of toyota can crack/tune the ECU."

while i have no real opinion of Eurotuned as a MB/BMW tuning company, try asking the owner of the CLS55 AMG that, after sending his car to Eurotuned, came back with a blown engine and other maladies. i'm sure he's got an opinion or two about Eurotuned. (google is your best friend if you want to read up about it.)

/exit.
Old 11-05-12, 09:04 AM
jtorres27
Driver School Candidate

Smile Jet V-Force Plus power control module

After a bit of searching, I just came across the Jet V-Force Plus Power Control Module. Just pulled the trigger on it. I need to go get a dyno baseline, and then another one after I install this piggy back. Engine wise, all i have on it is a M2 catback exhaust and the F-Sport intake. If I get it early this week, Ill be going to the dyno later this week.
Old 11-05-12, 09:34 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jtorres27
After a bit of searching, I just came across the Jet V-Force Plus Power Control Module. Just pulled the trigger on it. I need to go get a dyno baseline, and then another one after I install this piggy back. Engine wise, all i have on it is a M2 catback exhaust and the F-Sport intake. If I get it early this week, Ill be going to the dyno later this week.
Congrats on wasting some money

Quick Reply: Lexus is350 ECU tuning. Finally possible??