Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Res delet?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 10:35 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammer1
Do NOT delete the resonator with a Tanabe axle back!! I did it and hated it (can send you a pic of the factory mid pipe hanging on my wall with the patch pipe in it if you like). Here's the problem I had, I put the Tanabe on and liked the sound but felt like I had to be really getting into the throttle to hear it as much as I wanted to. After dropping $700 on the Tanabe, I really didn't want to spend another $300 on mid pipes and thought that the delete would be a cost effective alternative ($40 at my local muffler shop).

The good:
The exhaust note is more noticeable and it really gave it a nice tone when accelerating, even lightly. There was a bit more of a purr at idle, whereas the Tanabe by itself really sounded stock.

The bad:
I got a really bad drone at highway speeds! When cruising 45-55 mph and only lightly applying the gas to maintain speed, there was a drone that echoed through the cabin and drove me nuts. I don't mean a typical exhaust drone either. I am talking about what you would expect to hear from an old truck with a bad muffler. It really was terrible and I couldn't stand it for more than a month.

Rather than have the resonator put back (I keep all of my old parts), I decided to just save the $40 and apply it to a mid pipe. The muffler shop offered to delete the cats for $80 but I didn't want to do that and still not like it. I ordered the Invidia mid pipes and have never looked back. The car sounds great like it is, and 10x better than it did with the res delete. Oh, and the drone went away completely when I installed the Invidias..... Hope this helps.
Hey thanks man...yeah drone would be big issue, the gf already complains about the Tanabe even though it's so quiet! lol...

Too bad I can't do midpipe though...might just get an EVO3 and swap it out then
Old 12-05-12, 04:26 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sucks you can't do the mid pipes.... I'm not familiar with the EVO3, but know that the Tanabe is widely regarded to be one of the quietest axle backs on the market. I originally wanted the HKS HI-Power when I started shopping for one but they were on back order everywhere I looked. Lots of people here seem to feel like the F Sport exhaust is comparable. Why can't you use the mid pipes?
Old 12-05-12, 07:38 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammer1
Sucks you can't do the mid pipes.... I'm not familiar with the EVO3, but know that the Tanabe is widely regarded to be one of the quietest axle backs on the market. I originally wanted the HKS HI-Power when I started shopping for one but they were on back order everywhere I looked. Lots of people here seem to feel like the F Sport exhaust is comparable. Why can't you use the mid pipes?
ya too quiet now. hks is too aggressive for my taste and lots drone. fsport is too expensive. evo3 is new and from looks of it the level aggressiveness is right between tanabe and hks. awd models dont have aftermarket midpipes