Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Res delet?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 03:06 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Res delet?????

I have Tanabe exhaust......I love the oem look and the shape of the axleback part (it hangs lower than most others in a V shape) however it's too quiet for me

I really don't want to go through the hassle of changing to another exhaust, and financially it wouldn't be very smart either (definitely a loss), so been wondering of doing a res delet

I've done some searching and haven't found anyone with res delet on Tanabe exhaust, so I'm just wondering if anybody have experience (or Greddy SE/SP,,,,since it's very similar to Tanabe)

I want to know how much louder will it make my Tanabe (low and high rpm), as well any power effects (positive or negative even)

Thx

P.S. No midpipe...AWD

EDIT:

SO....found these 2 for comparison.........not that bad considering Tanabe isn't a loud exhaust...

Tanabe Exhaust w/o Res Delet

Tanabe Exhaust w/ Res Delet

Last edited by reyoasian; 01-03-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 05:27 PM
NinjaSocks
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I dont know about any power effects, I suspect that will remain the same
I did a resonator delete on a v6 Acura TL-S and it just made the car sound more like a 350z during acceleration. I had an axle back setup also and the local exhaust shop did this mod for $40

I have an IS250 now with Tanabe and at times I am satisfied with the exhaust note but other times wish it was louder. I have plans for an fsport intake or Joe Z pipe and invidia mid pipe which should def make the exhaust louder.
Old 12-03-12, 05:42 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NinjaSocks
I dont know about any power effects, I suspect that will remain the same
I did a resonator delete on a v6 Acura TL-S and it just made the car sound more like a 350z during acceleration. I had an axle back setup also and the local exhaust shop did this mod for $40

I have an IS250 now with Tanabe and at times I am satisfied with the exhaust note but other times wish it was louder. I have plans for an fsport intake or Joe Z pipe and invidia mid pipe which should def make the exhaust louder.
I remember reading somewhere that res delet can actually decrease some power so that's why I asked...

Intake won't change much exhaust note I don't think...my intake now is louder than the Tanabe....Lucky you can add midpipe, I can't! Not sure how a res delete will affect my setup though..
Old 12-03-12, 06:35 PM
azndriver
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the deeper tone comes from the resonator, I wouldnt delete that

another idea...how about secondary cat delete....
Old 12-03-12, 06:45 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont do it

Check out my thread with a few vids of a resonator delete

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ia-takeda.html
Old 12-03-12, 09:09 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

I found this, and sounds pretty good....

The guy made a video of after-axleback but before-res-delet video, and notice quite a big of difference from his 2 videos...Since Tanabe is softer compared to FSport to begin with, would it have less rasp??

Old 12-04-12, 05:31 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Its hard to say because the Fsport is the quietest exhaust that Ive had. Ive heard other cars with res deletes and they sound farty IMO
Old 12-04-12, 10:28 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got my resonator deleted with an M2 exhaust (similar to the Tanabe) and it sounds really nice. There's no rasp or farty-ness to it at all.
Old 12-04-12, 02:13 PM
Madtastic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about changing it to a high flow resonator?
Old 12-04-12, 02:39 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bob4256
Its hard to say because the Fsport is the quietest exhaust that Ive had. Ive heard other cars with res deletes and they sound farty IMO
dang all your exhausts are pretty loud then! fsport, hks, what else have you had...evo3?

Originally Posted by nitrotang
I've got my resonator deleted with an M2 exhaust (similar to the Tanabe) and it sounds really nice. There's no rasp or farty-ness to it at all.
The M2 is actually tad louder than Tanabe....you have video of yours?
Old 12-04-12, 02:44 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

My friend had a IS250 AWD on Tanabe...and he did a "custom" midpipe. Not sure if his resonator was removed though. His car definitely was louder than mine now.
Old 12-04-12, 03:34 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reyoasian
dang all your exhausts are pretty loud then! fsport, hks, what else have you had...evo3?
Nah, just those 2. The HKS is louder than the Evo3 so I decided not to get it. Besides, HKS + Invidia = loudest/deepest setup out of the box
Old 12-04-12, 03:43 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do NOT delete the resonator with a Tanabe axle back!! I did it and hated it (can send you a pic of the factory mid pipe hanging on my wall with the patch pipe in it if you like). Here's the problem I had, I put the Tanabe on and liked the sound but felt like I had to be really getting into the throttle to hear it as much as I wanted to. After dropping $700 on the Tanabe, I really didn't want to spend another $300 on mid pipes and thought that the delete would be a cost effective alternative ($40 at my local muffler shop).

The good:
The exhaust note is more noticeable and it really gave it a nice tone when accelerating, even lightly. There was a bit more of a purr at idle, whereas the Tanabe by itself really sounded stock.

The bad:
I got a really bad drone at highway speeds! When cruising 45-55 mph and only lightly applying the gas to maintain speed, there was a drone that echoed through the cabin and drove me nuts. I don't mean a typical exhaust drone either. I am talking about what you would expect to hear from an old truck with a bad muffler. It really was terrible and I couldn't stand it for more than a month.

Rather than have the resonator put back (I keep all of my old parts), I decided to just save the $40 and apply it to a mid pipe. The muffler shop offered to delete the cats for $80 but I didn't want to do that and still not like it. I ordered the Invidia mid pipes and have never looked back. The car sounds great like it is, and 10x better than it did with the res delete. Oh, and the drone went away completely when I installed the Invidias..... Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-12, 03:50 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't resist...... LOL

Old 12-05-12, 09:54 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
The M2 is actually tad louder than Tanabe....you have video of yours?
Haven't had time to make a video yet, but I'll try to make one soon.

Quick Reply: Res delet?????