Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS400 Twin Turbo 1/4 mi. performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-02, 11:09 AM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile GS400 Twin Turbo 1/4 mi. performance

Hey everyone,

Did my first 1/4 mi. run last nite. in 78 degree weather in S. Fla.(not the best temp. for great times!)

E.T. - 13.4
Speed - 107 m.p.h.

I know this seems a little slow, but remember I still need to go Dual exhaust(+30 RWHP), I/ve got 285 series 18's-tires on my car
(which eats up another .2 or .3 tenths) and I'm still waiting for a larger intercooler. I spun a little, hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd gear so my times in the future w/more mods(tranny computer/firmer shifts- f/SRT) will easily be in the 12's. The Blitz controller listed the pass @ 474 HP. I also walked away from an M5 the other afternoon so the future looks good!!! I'll keep everyone posted!
Old 12-07-02, 11:31 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're having fun!!!
Old 12-08-02, 03:34 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Default Re: GS400 Twin Turbo 1/4 mi. performance

Originally posted by kensttgs400
Hey everyone,

Did my first 1/4 mi. run last nite. in 78 degree weather in S. Fla.(not the best temp. for great times!)

E.T. - 13.4
Speed - 107 m.p.h.

I know this seems a little slow, but remember I still need to go Dual exhaust(+30 RWHP), I/ve got 285 series 18's-tires on my car
(which eats up another .2 or .3 tenths) and I'm still waiting for a larger intercooler. I spun a little, hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd gear so my times in the future w/more mods(tranny computer/firmer shifts- f/SRT) will easily be in the 12's. The Blitz controller listed the pass @ 474 HP. I also walked away from an M5 the other afternoon so the future looks good!!! I'll keep everyone posted!

Glad you're getting the tunning in and having fun. Please post your 60' times and how much boost you ran. Have you had a chance to weigh your ride? That MPH seems a bit low and I'm pretty sure you should easily be in the low 12's with a proper launch and everything up to date.
Old 12-08-02, 11:40 PM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Hey Mariusz,

My boost is set @ 8.5 pounds and the car weighs in at 4325 lbs. (w/me in it) Most of the added weight is my stereo system and alot of added jute, and sound dampening matr'l. to cut down the road/tire noise. To believe the car will ever get in the low 12's I feel is a little unrealistic down here in hot Fla. Put me in 30 - 50 degree weather with the other little tweaks that I still have to do, and then maybe, yes it would!! Not here in Hot Fla. though. Too much heat and too much weight. Again when I'm done I should be mid-to-high 12's @ somewhere in the 110-114 mph. That is plenty respectable for me & I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 12-08-02, 11:43 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Hey Mariusz,

My boost is set @ 8.5 pounds and the car weighs in at 4325 lbs. (w/me in it) Most of the added weight is my stereo system and alot of added jute, and sound dampening matr'l. to cut down the road/tire noise. To believe the car will ever get in the low 12's I feel is a little unrealistic down here in hot Fla. Put me in 30 - 50 degree weather with the other little tweaks that I still have to do, and then maybe, yes it would!! Not here in Hot Fla. though. Too much heat and too much weight. Again when I'm done I should be mid-to-high 12's @ somewhere in the 110-114 mph. That is plenty respectable for me & I'll keep you guys posted.
I know exactly what you are saying. If you happen to dig up those 60' foot times, I would really like to see it. You have a very nice and a very fast car. Take care and I hope you have fun
Old 12-09-02, 10:18 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

The thing about Ken's car is that it is really a sleeper!

Ken - yes, you are going to have to open up that exhaust system, and get that larger intercooler, so that your TT setup can perform more efficiently. You are probably holding back at least 40rwhp with your exhaust setup.
Old 12-09-02, 10:40 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Hey Mariusz,

First, a big thanks for taking your car to the track and sharing facts instead of street racing "myth" with us.

Second, I admire your "realistic" expectations from this car.

Third, mid to high 12's@110+mph performance (I agree - this is where the car should be after tuning, tweaking) from a fully loaded, two ton luxury sedan is more than enough speed on the street. I give this opinion based on experience; both 11 second daily drivers I've owned were a handful on the street due to traction issues.

Enjoy your awesome ride!
Old 12-10-02, 12:20 AM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Hi tomtnc,

noticed your looking for a 2000 silver GS400. If you have an opportunity, consider trying to find a "Platinum Edition" 2000.
I have one myself (you can see it in the photo member gallery) and the combination of the lighter colored "bird's eye maple wood trim" along with all the int. leather being "perforated" leather and the pewter ext. badging, truly helps the car to stand out.!! Just my .02 in case you weren't aware of the subtle upgrades in the "platinum" edition. Unfortunately, all these little upgrades don't help my 1/4 mi. times!!! oh well!!
Old 12-10-02, 11:07 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Thanks for the info, Ken. My goal is to find a millenium silver ext / charcoal / black int car with every available option at this point; the Platinum package would definitely be desirable.

As much as I would like to go out and buy the first silver GS4 I find (I can thank DaveGS4 and Dex for that), I have managed to restrain myself from historical impulse buying practices and search with patience for the car that meets the exact color, options, and price goals I laid out when I decided to purchase this vehicle. The search has been very limited thus far due to time constraints from work projects that must be completed by the close of the year. The search will definitely heat up after these projects are behind me (and/or in direct proportion to the frequency I get together with Dave or Scott and ride around in their GS4's...lol).