Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need some exhaust EXPERT advise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-02 | 09:02 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Default Need some exhaust EXPERT advise.

Would some of you mechanical gurus out there please give me some theoretical advice here. Maybe put together some *flow numbers.

Greddy PE 115mm Tips/70mm piping

JIC Bullet (Full Stainless Steel) 115mm Tips/ 65mm piping

First, did I get the correct sizes? I was told that one of the "figures" for the JIC exhaust lists 100mm. What would that 100mm be referring to? I would assume the tips, but I'm not 100% sure. This will go on a TT GS. On paper it looks like the Greddy PE will give me HP advantage becasue of the extra 5mm piping. How significant is this? I am thinking about going with JIC becasue of availability, however, HP will be a factor here, so it might swing either way.
Old 12-13-02 | 09:14 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

3 weeks to go and you dont have your exhaust figured out? are these catbacks?
Old 12-13-02 | 09:34 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DrRick
3 weeks to go and you dont have your exhaust figured out? are these catbacks?
Both of these are catbacks. The exhaust doesn't matter in this case as the 500RWHP will be made on the LSportline I have. These are "little tweaks" as I would like to call them that might give me a few more HP here and there or help mi optimize that dyno curve to my liking later down the road.

Last edited by Mariusz; 12-13-02 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-14-02 | 01:25 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I think you better off with the JIC. I now Mo can answer this one for you ..RIGHT!!!
Old 12-14-02 | 03:19 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
I think you better off with the JIC. I now Mo can answer this one for you ..RIGHT!!!

Well, I know he can, but I also wanted to hear what some of you have to say.
Old 12-14-02 | 05:07 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Here's a link.

http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=440
Old 12-14-02 | 05:27 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Mariusz

Well, I know he can, but I also wanted to hear what some of you have to say.
Well In that case , the JIC
Old 12-15-02 | 02:57 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER

Well In that case , the JIC
Hey, why not. Your guess is as good as mine. Lol.
Old 12-15-02 | 03:27 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Mariusz

Hey, why not. Your guess is as good as mine. Lol.
Old 12-17-02 | 08:18 PM
Aristo V300VE
Driver

If you have a turbo engine then I would go a little larger than 65mm. I had muffler shop just weld a 80mm complete straight pipe so there is no sub mufflers or silencers. Just the tail tips are Blitz Nul-R. Then I had a front pipe to remove the stock cat and it added a huge amount HP. With turbo engines a free flowing exhaust is the best. It is no that loud either, and the total cost was around 300 bucks. I had my vehicle inspection and just put the front cat back on and it pass emmissions no problem.
Old 12-18-02 | 10:00 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Aristo V300VE
If you have a turbo engine then I would go a little larger than 65mm. I had muffler shop just weld a 80mm complete straight pipe so there is no sub mufflers or silencers. Just the tail tips are Blitz Nul-R. Then I had a front pipe to remove the stock cat and it added a huge amount HP. With turbo engines a free flowing exhaust is the best. It is no that loud either, and the total cost was around 300 bucks. I had my vehicle inspection and just put the front cat back on and it pass emmissions no problem.

Cool. the 80mm straight pipe was all the way from the beginning to end right? Even the Y section, correct? It removed all 3 cats? If done like this, I could basically choose the tips I want, right? Finally, are you sure that is the best option (meaning the 80mm pipe) for a V8 TT. What happens when the pipe is too wide or narrow? Sorry for all these questions, but I am just curious and don't want to sound like a moron when I go to the muffler shop to do this. Thanks ARISO V300.
Old 12-18-02 | 07:17 PM
Aristo V300VE
Driver

Yes that is the best performance choice is to go straight. You can add the silencers to decrease the noise if you prefer but it is just a restricition. The most important is the off road down pipe which removes the first cat. Just remember removing the first cat is not legal so if you have emission test you will need to put it back on. I went with plain steel and it was really cheap so when it corrodes I might get stainless, but I have had mine for 2 years and it is still fine. 300 bucks versus over 1500 is a no brainer. As long as the tips are nice no one ever looks all the way under the car. My pipe starts after the first cat and breaks in the v and splits to meet the 2 tips. It will definitely save you money and most Aristo books recommend hand mades. Please remember this only works on turbo engines, not the N/A cars due to back pressure issues. I have seen some go up to 95mm, but 65mm seems to be really narrow. I had my stock muffler put back on 2 months ago with the front cat and I was amazed how much the difference is. I am sure any basic muffler shop can do this for you at minimal cost. Look at most GT cars the muffler usually comes out of the side near the front wheel and it just a set of pipes.
Old 12-19-02 | 12:31 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Aristo V300VE
Yes that is the best performance choice is to go straight. You can add the silencers to decrease the noise if you prefer but it is just a restricition. The most important is the off road down pipe which removes the first cat. Just remember removing the first cat is not legal so if you have emission test you will need to put it back on. I went with plain steel and it was really cheap so when it corrodes I might get stainless, but I have had mine for 2 years and it is still fine. 300 bucks versus over 1500 is a no brainer. As long as the tips are nice no one ever looks all the way under the car. My pipe starts after the first cat and breaks in the v and splits to meet the 2 tips. It will definitely save you money and most Aristo books recommend hand mades. Please remember this only works on turbo engines, not the N/A cars due to back pressure issues. I have seen some go up to 95mm, but 65mm seems to be really narrow. I had my stock muffler put back on 2 months ago with the front cat and I was amazed how much the difference is. I am sure any basic muffler shop can do this for you at minimal cost. Look at most GT cars the muffler usually comes out of the side near the front wheel and it just a set of pipes.

Once again. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-22-02 | 12:00 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

OK. I have finally found an exhaust for myself. It is the brand new Blitz NurSpec Touring which comes in FULL stainless steel and true catback. It has 80mm piping :eek: and is probably the quietest out of all high flow exhausts from Blitz (which will probably still be a tad bit luder than my L-Sportline and that would be perfect). It is also a direct bolton, so I am probably going to install it myself.

Here are two pics of it.

Last edited by Mariusz; 12-22-02 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-22-02 | 06:59 PM
Aristo V300VE
Driver

Nice choice that is what I am running on my car.
Attached Thumbnails Need some exhaust EXPERT advise.-p7310027.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need some exhaust EXPERT advise.