Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 07:24 PM
vbieds
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust question

I have searched, but could not find any answers. For the guys that have done a stock 2jzgte swap, will a supra downpipe from the headers bolt up the stock exhaust y pipe? Im asking because I have an aftermarket exhaust from the y pipe back, and would not mind not having to spend money on a new exhaust. Also, is a back pressure plate necessary? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-13, 07:29 PM
vbieds
Driver

Oh, almost forgot, will a aftermarket blow off valve need any other upgrades to the car if I am leaving it stock twins? Thanks.
Old 02-01-13, 08:24 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

BOV doesn't do anything worthy on stock twins but just make noise, I would recommend keeping the stock bypass valve in place until you move to a single turbo.

The 3 bolt USDM Supra down/mid pipe flange does not bolt to the JDM 3 bolt turbo output they are different sizes. The angle is also not right.

A Supra down/mid pipe rear 2 bolt flange does infact bolt to the rear y-pipe of the GS, BUT it is not long enough, it needs to be extended about 8-10".

You will need to hack up/mod a supra pipe pretty good to make it fit I've done it a couple times and have posted pics her somewhere before, but you can also just spend the money and get a JIC, FUJITSUBO, or other jdm Aristo down/mid pipe and it will be bolt-in plug and play, and continue to run any GS or Aristo catback system you please. What exhaust do you currently have?

A restrictor plate (2.5" ring on a 3" pipe) is needed to prevent overboosting and/or premature death of the twins. But If running the stock GS rear y-pipe and mufflers they do a good job of making enough backpressure to suffice instead of a restriction ring. But the car will sound like nothing, which most people will be disappointed with.

I did a stock gte swap for a guy that didn't want a ring installed, but he ran the silencer inserts in the rear cans and that seemed to work ok for him, but when he took them out the boost would fluctuate.
Old 02-01-13, 02:44 PM
vbieds
Driver

Thanks for the reply 99 Gs. Great Info. Ive been looking at many of your posts for motivation and insight. The exhaust is a custom job with stock y pipe but has aftermarket mufflers and about a 6" section of aftermarket pipe. Im just trying to get a feel for everything that I may need for the swap, other than general maintenance parts, and the parts that I will get with the swap.