Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Going single - what engine management?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 12:10 AM
michal5000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going single - what engine management?

So - I am done with BPU on my 2JZ-GTE, and considering possible next steps. My power goal is anywhere between 500 and 600 hp (at the crank), I want to stick with stock internals and auto tranny.

One thing I am not sure about is whether I really need a standalone, or can I just go with a piggyback. From an Internet research I already know, that the standalone has many advantages, allows to manage injectors more precisely, etc. However it also looks to have some disadvantages - I mean losing certain comfort features or problems with auto transmission.

What I want to ask - is what are your, guys, experiences with standalone ECU's? Probably I am going to lose cruise control, what else? What about auto tranny? In general: what kind of problems to expect?

BTW: I am pretty sure my fuel management sucks at the moment and I am going REALLY rich. What fuel consumption (city) do you guys notice after single turbo conversion and properly done dyno tuning?

Any help really appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-12-13, 07:20 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

For a street driven car. Stick with a piggyback. For race car use standalone. As long as the setup and tune is solid, the piggyback setup will make the car very enjoyable. It will pretty much be like OEM power. Standalone is only really necessary for high HP for more accurate control. Lower HP setup under 600hp is perfectly fine with piggyback. Plus it's much cheaper as well. The key is to have a very good tune!
Old 02-12-13, 06:47 PM
Meyagi
Driver

i too am in the same boat ATM. i have a hks VPC but im not sure if im going to go that route or try to run my MAF blow thru and tune with a FIC or something of that nature....
Old 02-12-13, 10:48 PM
michal5000
Rookie

Update: on the other forum I was told that there is no way to properly tune/map either standalone or piggyback as long as the car is running auto tranny. What do you think guys? Are there any single turbo cars around still retaining autos?

I would really like to avoid a stick And am currently running an '98 Aristo 4-speed auto transmission, which originally came with the engine. It has a steptronic-like feature but I could live without it.
Old 02-15-13, 12:19 PM
acl99
Rookie

I would really suggest a standalone unit. In my experience the piggyback always gives way to a standalone for whatever reason (further upgrades, annoyances with the piggyback operation, etc.)
Old 02-15-13, 03:10 PM
michal5000
Rookie

From the other hand, piggyback allows you to retain all the factory features, tranny management etc.
I searched some other threads, and it looked Jeff was successful with piggyback and an auto transmission on single turbo setup.
I think I will try this route, and see how it works.