Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Short Ram or Cold Air?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 03:48 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Unless you cut your sheet metal and get out of the engine bay; you will end up with a HOT ram air intake. So it's that, a short ram, an enclosed filter boxed intake or a true CAI. This and you're still not likely to gain much more then 10whp.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ter-setup.html

Old 03-05-13, 04:55 PM
skillvsluck
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the FSport pipe or JoeZ pipe for now, then buy the PPE one when/if that comes out
Old 03-05-13, 05:34 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol at least other "sri" makers use a heatshield to fake a "cai", injen doesn't even have a dam heatshield lmfao
Old 03-05-13, 08:31 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
Fixed that for you.
This became a trend.
That made me LOL.. not a fan of the e-lingo? I'm guessing saying, "u mirin brah?" isn't ok either, huh? Hahaha. Enlighten it is from now
Old 03-05-13, 08:37 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Unless you cut your sheet metal and get out of the engine bay; you will end up with a HOT ram air intake. So it's that, a short ram, an enclosed filter boxed intake or a true CAI. This and you're still not likely to gain much more then 10whp.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ter-setup.html

Mike, as soon as the guys at PPE allow me to, I will post some pics. I think their design is different from yours, but does have the filter down in that same area. I do know that it sounds AWESOME at WOT, as I am sure yours does as well
Old 03-05-13, 08:42 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ JB
That made me LOL.. not a fan of the e-lingo? I'm guessing saying, "u mirin brah?" isn't ok either, huh? Hahaha. Enlighten it is from now
could of said "make me aware" but I chose to use a different word.

OP, like others said if your intake pipe and filter doesn't go down past the sheet metal behind the bumper where it has cooler air. its not a cold air intake.
Old 03-06-13, 09:40 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NickawdIs
i no what i buy & it is !
Best intake injen cold air
Originally Posted by Joshohoho
could of said "make me aware" but I chose to use a different word.

OP, like others said if your intake pipe and filter doesn't go down past the sheet metal behind the bumper where it has cooler air. its not a cold air intake.
yeah injen doesnt make a cold air intake for the IS, its just a long short ram intake. sucking in straight hot engine bay air. you were better off just sticking with the stock air box and a Joe Z pipe. the stock air box already sucks in fresh cool air from the front of the car
Old 03-07-13, 05:45 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ JB
PPE is finishing their cold air intake which is a true cold air intake, and no drilling through anything that I am aware of. We dynoed my vehicle last week with it and I believe the car put down 308RWHP (I wasn't there). I'll be posting the dyno sheet and details as soon as I get them.

Bob is right though, the basic intakes out there right now are pretty much pipe and filter upgrades. If you want to wait for one that actually has the filter out of the engine bay, then be patient and it should be released soon from what I am being told by them.
Glad PPE is making something, they make some quality products. BUT... 308whp I'm going to say... You're not putting that much to the ground. Youre especially no where near that if all you have is an intake.

Best intake injen cold air
i no what i buy & it is !
Lol... cool short ram intake. As the rest of the party has told you, you dont have a cold air intake.
Old 03-07-13, 08:14 AM
FordGT08
Driver

LOL..."i no what i buy & it is!"
Old 03-07-13, 04:33 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by heyarms
Glad PPE is making something, they make some quality products. BUT... 308whp I'm going to say... You're not putting that much to the ground. Youre especially no where near that if all you have is an intake.

Lol... cool short ram intake. As the rest of the party has told you, you dont have a cold air intake.
LOL, no, not just a cold air intake. When we dynoed the car with just headers and F-Sport Intake, it peaked at 286WHP but when the graph printed and the lines were corrected, it rounded at 281WHP. I am not familiar with how dynos work but I think the place the car was dynoed at did it wrong because the lines don't make sense. I am not going to claim 308WHP at all lol. I truly believe it was a fluke and done wrong.

I think PPE is going to try to get the car dynoed somewhere else because they also don't think it was dynoed correctly as well.

No idea what all of that means, but I do know it sounds awesome at WOT .

Either way, from what I have read most intakes aren't going to show massive differences on a dyno anyways due to the fact that the advantage with a cold air is when the car is moving it is sucking in cooler air..

I know they posted a pic of the prototype cold air intake on their Facebook page.
Old 03-08-13, 05:37 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

very exciting to hear about this cai from ppe. just ordered headers a month ago from them. should b here any day now
Old 03-12-13, 09:54 AM
25gturbo
Driver School Candidate

get a k&n intake
Old 07-23-13, 12:10 AM
one2nite
Rookie

Originally Posted by FordGT08
LOL..."i no what i buy & it is!"
hahahaha i died!!