Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS350 Track Performance ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 12:27 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Track Performance ?'s

Just curious how our cars perform on the track compared to other cars. I havn't been to the track yet but I should be going this summer, the nearest one is almost 2 hours away so that's my excuse for not going yet. How does it compare to a beamer or evo? I would like only people who have experience to answer please guys.

My buddy has an S2K and I put car lengths on him in a straight line, my buddy says that I may beat him in a straight line but he will beat me on a track. I don't see that happening though. I watched some show on TV today that pitted old *** heavy muscle cars against an s2k, beamers, and an older sti. The muscle cars did get beat a little around the corners but not much at all. If an S2K is supposed to be amazing at the track, how can it beat our cars when it can barely beat 1970 mustang? Surely our cars handle better than a 4k lb monster.
Old 04-01-13, 12:35 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

totally depends on the track, the tighter the track, the more the s2k will beat us. I would put my money on the s2k any day if there is a competent driver behind it.

Our IS350 isn't a slouch, but its no where near as tight handling as an s2k. Im surprised you saw videos of an s2k getting beat by heavy muscle cars, imma assume you mean mustangs; probably due to a poor s2k driver. And our cars are near 4k lb monster, i think we come out near 3600 lbs while the s2ks are under 3k.
Old 04-01-13, 03:15 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
totally depends on the track, the tighter the track, the more the s2k will beat us. I would put my money on the s2k any day if there is a competent driver behind it.

Our IS350 isn't a slouch, but its no where near as tight handling as an s2k. Im surprised you saw videos of an s2k getting beat by heavy muscle cars, imma assume you mean mustangs; probably due to a poor s2k driver. And our cars are near 4k lb monster, i think we come out near 3600 lbs while the s2ks are under 3k.
Spot on, completely agree with this.

Sounds like that track may have been more favorable to the muscle cars (longer straightaways, less turns), and/or a very poor driver in the s2000. I have seen some very impressive lap times coming from experienced drivers in somewhat stock s2000's on the s2ki forums. The s2000 chassis is very potent. The IS350 shouldn't do too bad though, especially with some coilovers & sway bars. & yep the s2k comes in around 2800lbs

Last edited by ImportISF; 04-01-13 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-01-13, 10:33 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, you'll definately want to do coils and sways to play dirty. You should learn the track though, you'll need TCS off to be tip top
Old 04-01-13, 10:39 AM
dong888
Pole Position

tried on Infineon raceway. And yes, my friend's s2k easily beats is350, espcially he got race tires while I had the michelin ps all season. lol.
Old 04-01-13, 11:00 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I can honestly say, my 350 doesn't do very well against my other car.
Old 04-01-13, 12:45 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PFFFFF.... No way a V8, Twin Turbo can handle the 350 TimboIS. No Way. Doesn't the McLaren go 150 before the IS crosses a quarter mile....

Last edited by UniSlayEX; 04-01-13 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 05:58 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Like what was stated earlier, it'll depend on the track, the setups of each car (especially tires), and driver experience. It'll be fun regardless, just make sure it is prepared!
Old 04-01-13, 06:59 PM
gFREAKy
Driver

hmm, i'm having trouble picturing an S2k being THAT much better. I'm just gonna have to hit the track lol. Thanks guys! Now how bad would a few days at the track damage my car? Like pads, rotors, tires, and whatever else. I have read some stories where people destroy their pads, crack rotors and ruin their tires in a couple days.
Old 04-01-13, 07:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by gFREAKy
hmm, i'm having trouble picturing an S2k being THAT much better. I'm just gonna have to hit the track lol. Thanks guys! Now how bad would a few days at the track damage my car? Like pads, rotors, tires, and whatever else. I have read some stories where people destroy their pads, crack rotors and ruin their tires in a couple days.
I'm not having any trouble at all. You're in for a real challenge if your friend can drive. If you're both about the same skill level, you'll have a chance, but having been to the track a few times in my F, I guarantee you, an S2K in good hands will embarrass you. So will a Miata at the right track. These cars are heavy and the 350 suspension isn't close to track ready compared to an S2K. But at the end of the day, the nut behind the wheel is the most important part on the car.

Depending on the track you'll want track brake pads for sure. Anything else is pretty silly if you have no track experience. You'd be way ahead just to drive it for fun and learn the car. Once you start finding yourself limited by the car and not your skill, then think about what you need to do to the car to make it more inline with your new found driving ability. On your first track day, it won't matter what you drive, you're going to be slow.

For example, on one of my track days, I was keeping up with a GTR. On another track day, the GTR blew past me like I accidentally found reverse. 100% driver. Another time, there was a guy in a fully race prepped Panoz and I was passing him regularly in my F. Not saying I'm a great driver, but I am definitely better than he was that day.

You might want to take a look at this thread for tips and tricks on your first time at a road course.
Old 04-02-13, 10:49 AM
TrueStreet
Driver

Yea, I road shot gun with a pro driver in a bone stock AP2 S2K and it was killing just about everything on the track, including my neck. We were on a short tight track, Horse Thief, but damn he made STIs look freaking slow as heck. Then asked him to drive my 00 Celica GT "slow car" to see how he would drive it, learned a lot and really didn't think the crumbling tires that were on it could handle as much as he threw at it, freaking amazing what a good driver can do honestly.
Old 04-02-13, 07:19 PM
Gville350

Read up and ask questions : www.safeisfast.com/
Old 04-03-13, 06:46 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

A quality driver and a good set of tires will make any car fast on a track...I have video of my in my IS350 with Toyo R888s giving a 911 GT3 fits around Roebling Road. No way in hell a IS350 is in the same category as a GT3, but on that day on that track with those drivers it was...
Old 04-03-13, 11:43 AM
Gville350

^Good example of what GOOD tires and a good driver coupled together can do together with a much less track-prep'd car.

Gotta love those 888s!

But I personally perfer the Advan 48s :
Old 04-03-13, 08:56 PM
TrueStreet
Driver

Man those tires are money. So true though, good tires can make a huge difference, but with a great driver behind it you'd think it's magic what they do.

Quick Reply: IS350 Track Performance ?'s