Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JoeZ or F-Sport intake Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 04:19 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by An2ny
Are there any other intake tubes options available if you want to retain the stock air box?
The JoeZ intake

Originally Posted by olp1069
F-sport. It's designed for the car and it doesn't void warranty if you still have it.
The Fsport intake does not use the stock intake box, its a different one.

And it will only void any warranty on your actual intake, not your entire cars warranty. That is illegal
Old 07-15-13, 06:48 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob4256
The JoeZ intake

The Fsport intake does not use the stock intake box, its a different one.

And it will only void any warranty on your actual intake, not your entire cars warranty. That is illegal
Yes, I am aware of the F-Sport and the Joe-Z pipes to the intake box.
I am sure that you can use the F-Sport piece of pipe with the stock air box.
Old 07-15-13, 12:10 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bob4256's info is legit.

Glad you got what you wanted Hbhandal. Are you using a reusable filter or did you leave the OEM one in?
Old 02-19-14, 05:13 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait so can someone confirm if you order the F-sport intake tube only, you can you use the couplings/clips from the stock pipe? I've seen other threads that say you have to order the couplings/clips from sewell. Is there any advantage to this hardware from Sewell?
Old 02-19-14, 06:21 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tomiv9
Wait so can someone confirm if you order the F-sport intake tube only, you can you use the couplings/clips from the stock pipe? I've seen other threads that say you have to order the couplings/clips from sewell. Is there any advantage to this hardware from Sewell?
You can't use the OEM coupling on Fsport Tube. You would need to order the set of Silicone Couplers separately. Better off with the JoeZ Tube if you want just the tube (or buy the whole Fsport setup if you can swing it).
Old 02-19-14, 06:49 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thanks for the quick reply! i know Joe Z is great, but I want to stick with the Lexus parts, cars still under CPO warranty.
Old 02-20-14, 08:50 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pheonix72
You can't use the OEM coupling on Fsport Tube. You would need to order the set of Silicone Couplers separately. Better off with the JoeZ Tube if you want just the tube (or buy the whole Fsport setup if you can swing it).
The way I see is that you won't feel the couple HP or if any gain that the JoeZ pipe gives, why waste $125 on something you can't feel or hear?

There is actually only a couple dynos for the JoeZ pipe that I've found....one from him and another member, which gained I think 4hp? And there was another member that did an independent dyno and lost 10hp.

I bought the F-Sport intake complete from Sewell for about $300 with the ClubLexus discount. After installing it, the car feels exactly the same but the sound is awesome. It sounds like a baby IS-F under throttle. For $300 I got a much better sounding car, in return makes it much more rewarding to drive, a reusable high quality filter that will pay for itself in the long run, a nice high quality F-Sport designed lower box that looked like it had actual R&D time put into it, CARB certification and 100 percent Lexus Warranty in-tact. Also the peace of mind that the car is using factory designed parts. All that was worth the $300 admission.

I'm sure Lexus spent a good deal of money in R&D + getting CARB certification to bring the intake to market compared to some random guy putting a pipe with some cheap silicone couplers together and making a killing selling it for $125 a piece. Honestly the JoeZ pipe and couplers quality looked like it could have been sourced from eBay for $10. Helping my friend install one on his car the silicone couplers didn't even fit correctly, it was too small and the worm clamps supplied were cheap and also too small. We had to literally wrestle it on the TB.

There is no comparison to the F-Sport hardware, Lexus even designed a flex in the silicone coupler to compensate for engine movement and everything fits perfectly like factory.
If you buy a JoeZ intake pipe and a drop in filter, it's not gonna be THAT much cheaper than the full F-Sport intake, what you do get is no sound difference, no discernable difference in power and your wallet lighter by $200.

In short, save your money and get the full F-Sport intake.

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 02-20-14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 01:20 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Appreciate your honest opinion...

But Some TRUE Facts:
  • Original design since 2006
  • 6061 High Grade Aluminum
  • 2 Ply Fiber Reinforced Silicone Sleeves
  • High Grade Stainless Worm Clamps
  • ALL Made in the USA.
  • F-Sport was relased 2 years later in 2008
  • I'm clear not t a random guy, with many of my parts being debuted on Lexus SEMA builds over the last several years...

Nothing about my original design even remotely compares to Ebay stuff.

Best Regards,

~ Joe Z
Hi Joe, I'm sure your design is original but then again I really don't see how other variations of design would be possible. I mean there's only so many ways you can take a pipe, put a bend in it and add two 3" silicone couplers.

I'm glad you "chose" 6061 Aluminum.. What other materials were you thinking of using?

I'm almost positive the F-Sport intake is also made in the USA I'll double check my box.

About the eBay comment, what I'm saying is that my friends and I have purchased intake pipes and silicone couplers through the years from those eBay vendors to fabricate custom intake systems, turbo kits ect. Their aluminum piping, silicone couplers, worm clams ect. are all of the same quality as your pipe at 1/8th the cost.

I mean to me it just seems like highway robbery to charge $125+ for a pipe that has no effect on sound or hp you can feel. I mean I can sorta understand Lexus charging a lot for their stuff, well because it's made by them, factory backed, and I'm sure they spend hundreds of thousands on research and development plus getting the system CARB exempt, legal stuff ect is not cheap.

Then again, this is all my opinion, don't mean to offend. I do applaud you for making something on this platform, now if your pipe was around $60, that'd probably be the sweet spot or maybe throw in a high quality panel filter at your current price.
Old 02-20-14, 01:20 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow FYI for ALL

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
The way I see is that you won't feel the couple HP or if any gain that the JoeZ pipe gives, why waste $125 on something you can't feel or hear?

There is actually only a couple dynos for the JoeZ pipe that I've found....one from him and another member, which gained I think 4hp? And there was another member that did an independent dyno and lost 10hp.

I bought the F-Sport intake complete from Sewell for about $300 with the ClubLexus discount. After installing it, the car feels exactly the same but the sound is awesome. It sounds like a baby IS-F under throttle. For $300 I got a much better sounding car, in return makes it much more rewarding to drive, a reusable high quality filter that will pay for itself in the long run, a nice high quality F-Sport designed lower box that looked like it had actual R&D time put into it, CARB certification and 100 percent Lexus Warranty in-tact. Also the peace of mind that the car is using factory designed parts. All that was worth the $300 admission.

I'm sure Lexus spent a good deal of money in R&D + getting CARB certification to bring the intake to market compared to some random guy putting a pipe with some cheap silicone couplers together and making a killing selling it for $125 a piece. Honestly the JoeZ pipe and couplers quality looked like it could have been sourced from eBay for $10. Helping my friend install one on his car the silicone couplers didn't even fit correctly, it was too small and the worm clamps supplied were cheap and also too small. We had to literally wrestle it on the TB.

There is no comparison to the F-Sport hardware, Lexus even designed a flex in the silicone coupler to compensate for engine movement and everything fits perfectly like factory.
If you buy a JoeZ intake pipe and a drop in filter, it's not gonna be THAT much cheaper than the full F-Sport intake, what you do get is no sound difference, no discernable difference in power and your wallet lighter by $200.

In short, save your money and get the full F-Sport intake.
Appreciate your honest opinion...

But Some TRUE Facts:
  • Proven & Original design since 2006
  • 6061 High Grade Aluminum
  • 2 Ply Fiber Reinforced Silicone Sleeves
  • High Grade Stainless Worm Clamps
  • ALL Made in the USA.
  • F-Sport was relased 2 years later in 2008
  • I'm clearly not a random guy, with many of my parts being debuted on Lexus SEMA builds over the last several years...

Nothing about my original design even remotely compares to Ebay stuff.

2014 IS owners confirm that it is still working as designed..

Best Regards,

~ Joe Z
Old 02-20-14, 01:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
Hi Joe, I'm sure your design is original but then again I really don't see how other variations of design would be possible. I mean there's only so many ways you can take a pipe, put a bend in it and add two 3" silicone couplers.

I'm glad you "chose" 6061 Aluminum.. What other materials were you thinking of using?

I'm almost positive the F-Sport intake is also made in the USA I'll double check my box.

About the eBay comment, what I'm saying is that my friends and I have purchased intake pipes and silicone couplers through the years from those eBay vendors to fabricate custom intake systems, turbo kits ect. Their aluminum piping, silicone couplers, worm clams ect. are all of the same quality as your pipe at 1/8th the cost.

I mean to me it just seems like highway robbery to charge $125+ for a pipe that has no effect on sound or hp you can feel. I mean I can sorta understand Lexus charging a lot for their stuff, well because it's made by them, factory backed, and I'm sure they spend hundreds of thousands on research and development plus getting the system CARB exempt, legal stuff ect is not cheap.

Then again, this is all my opinion, don't mean to offend. I do applaud you for making something on this platform, now if your pipe was around $60, that'd probably be the sweet spot or maybe throw in a high quality panel filter at your current price.

You don't have to double check anything on the F Sport.. I already know who makes it & where its made..

Appreciate your opinion none the less..

Best Regards,

~ Joe Z
Old 02-20-14, 01:45 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
You don't have to double check anything on the F Sport.. I already know who makes it & where its made..

Appreciate your opinion none the less..

Best Regards,

~ Joe Z
I guess coming from a 335i to an IS350 was a real shocker for me when it comes to aftermarket.

I mean intakes for the 335i was $95, thats the BMS DCI and it even included TWO high quality cone filters. Gains up to 32WHP was possible so you can only imagine my dismay when I saw people paying more than that for a pipe that gains at most 4hp with no extra auditory stimulation on the ISx50 platform.

On a side note, besides having a beastly motor and great tranny, the 335 was a pile of crap. Had 2 of them and decided enough was enough after a couple near death experiences.