Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

installed intake - water killed engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 08:09 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG…who installed the MAF on the intake? It looks like they glued the MAF there.
Do you have a CEL on? The MAF may be ok, but the housing/ bracket looks broken.
_If you have the stock intake, just re install it... You can do it yourself, it is pretty simple. You may need a new MAF as that looks like it may not come out in one piece.

_Yes hydro locking could happen…but you need to ingest A LOT of water, so going into some deep standing water at WOT could do some damage, as I have actually seen cars that hydro locked the engine…the exact conditions of how or why it happened I do not know, but they had CAI. But it is really unlikely and rare to happen. Again not sure about the conditions maybe they got stock in water and keep revving the engine to red line for a long time.
On another note I have damaged the MAF because water got to it. I have an ARK box intake in my Evo with the hood vent the rain goes in and the MAF is really close to the box…In your case for the water to go up that thing may be harder.

Also just so you know I do not think that there is a benefit to have the filter there as it will get extremely dirty negating any gains that you may get. (Unless that you track the car or only drive it on nice days) you may not benefit from that set up, also you still have the OEM piece to the throttle body and that is the piece that will benefit more and add some HP from a smooth piece like the F-sport tube or the Joe-Z tube.

Last edited by An2ny; 07-30-13 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-31-13, 12:13 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can suck enough water through a setup like that to hydrolock a motor. My brother made intakes for Acura Legends back in the day that would sit in about that same location. He put bypass valves on them if people requested them to prevent water being sucked up.

He did not put one on his own setup. Hit a puddle after a hard rain one day and the car stalled. We towed it home, pulled the plugs and water came out of several cylinders. Changed the oil and it ran for several thousand more miles. Then the rod broke and went through the block. There were other bent rods, which almost certainly happened when it was hydrolocked. This was a few inches of water, not feet.

I think the moral of the story is don't risk that kind of placement on a street car.
Old 07-31-13, 12:33 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

The MAF is not damage (otherwise, he has CEL) . If you look closer you will see it just not sitting right (they used some kind os plastic to hold it in place) due to fail installation. Take your car to other shop and have them install correctly. If you keep driving like that your MAF will be damaged.
Good Luck!
Old 08-01-13, 02:25 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll be fine once you take out that stock intake. This used to happen so much back in the old Honda scene as most of the cars were slammed & had CAI's that extended to the bottom of the wheel well. Do a search on google & see all the "I just hydrolocked my engine" threads pop up
Old 08-02-13, 08:28 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, there is so much misinformation in this thread.

To the guys who are saying that its nearly impossible to hydrolock your car, you are forgetting one very important factor: human error.

The car will probably be fine when driving in heavy rain, if you're driving normally. If you're on the highway and you try to overtake a car on the highway in a downpour, the increased throttle means more air intake, which means more powerful suction. It may not be sucking in large amounts of water, maybe a few drops here and there, but it doesn't take much to hydrolock an engine.

To those saying that the air bypass valve is a gimmick.. well. Take a straw and drink your can of coke through it. Easy enough right? Now take a pin and poke holes in the straw, and try drinking through it again. Sure its probably still easy to drink through, but you'll probably have to suck a little harder and you might spill coke out of the holes. That's exactly what an air bypass valve does.

Granted, it only works if the filter element is fully submerged in water, so just don't drive through a flooded street and you'll probably get along fine. But again, there is that element of human error and the deception of how deep a puddle in the road can actually be. That puddle might actually be a foot and a half deep, and driving through it while applying throttle could suck water through the piping. Again, those few drops might not make a difference, but if you happen to do it a lot in a short amount of time, eventually you'll hydrolock your engine.

OP, if you want peace of mind, reinstall the OEM equipment or install the aftermarket intake piping properly. If you don't want to do that, just avoid puddles, don't floor it in the rain, and if you do have to drive through a puddle, make sure you have enough speed to cruise through it (never apply throttle when you think your filter is even close to being submerged).

I also read somewhere that it takes less than a cup of water in the engine to hydrolock it.

Last edited by sm1ke; 08-02-13 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-02-13, 04:41 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Wow, there is so much misinformation in this thread.

To the guys who are saying that its nearly impossible to hydrolock your car, you are forgetting one very important factor: human error.

The car will probably be fine when driving in heavy rain, if you're driving normally. If you're on the highway and you try to overtake a car on the highway in a downpour, the increased throttle means more air intake, which means more powerful suction. It may not be sucking in large amounts of water, maybe a few drops here and there, but it doesn't take much to hydrolock an engine.

To those saying that the air bypass valve is a gimmick.. well. Take a straw and drink your can of coke through it. Easy enough right? Now take a pin and poke holes in the straw, and try drinking through it again. Sure its probably still easy to drink through, but you'll probably have to suck a little harder and you might spill coke out of the holes. That's exactly what an air bypass valve does.

Granted, it only works if the filter element is fully submerged in water, so just don't drive through a flooded street and you'll probably get along fine. But again, there is that element of human error and the deception of how deep a puddle in the road can actually be. That puddle might actually be a foot and a half deep, and driving through it while applying throttle could suck water through the piping. Again, those few drops might not make a difference, but if you happen to do it a lot in a short amount of time, eventually you'll hydrolock your engine.

OP, if you want peace of mind, reinstall the OEM equipment or install the aftermarket intake piping properly. If you don't want to do that, just avoid puddles, don't floor it in the rain, and if you do have to drive through a puddle, make sure you have enough speed to cruise through it (never apply throttle when you think your filter is even close to being submerged).

I also read somewhere that it takes less than a cup of water in the engine to hydrolock it.
i think the only mis info is the obvious common sense factor really. like unless you are in a flooded scenario, the chances of a cold air intake sucking in water and hydrolocking a motor is slim to none. espcially on a NA car.

even at wide open throttle its no where near as much "sucking" force as say a turbo charged car so its going to be ALOT harder to suck a significant amount of water the distance of a cold air intake to the throttle body. i think people have the idea like a person sucking a drink through a straw into your mouth, when that is not the case. unless you are in a worse case scenario and its like flooded area up to the headlights(which in that scenario you are already in trouble anyway)