Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

RMM Supercharger kit for GS400 released.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 02:23 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by jimxo
I emailed RMM to ask if the SC was ok for the GS430 as was told "NO". Why would the SC work on the GS400 and NOT the GS430?
alot of things are different between the 1UZ-FE and the 3UZ-FE.

from the displacement to the engine cover
Old 01-17-03, 02:39 PM
Gstt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to the E-shift

what would i do witout it????
fall asleep
Old 01-17-03, 03:49 PM
jeffandi
Driver

Originally posted by Gstt
359 Rear Wheel Horepower (That's 450HP @ the Crank)

- SRT unique silent SGD-1 supercharger

- SRT intercooler with all piping and hardware

- SRT custom designed and fabricated electronic fuel management ECU Calibrated for Stage II computer

- 7.5 PSI boost (higher with optional accessories)

- High efficiency performance surge valve

- SRT custom designed and fabricated 6061 T6 aluminum mounting plate(s)

- Includes all necessary hardware for a bolt on installation.

Optional parts include SRT tranny valve body upgrade and SRT high stall torque converter.

Regular price:$5,650.00

U are asking a $1000 more and giving less....
If SRT gets 450hp at the crank with 7.5 psi and RMM gets 408hp at the crank with 5.5 psi, it seems resonable that you could acheive SRT type numbers with an increase in boost.

One thing I like about RMMs setup is they use a Vortec SC, which is a proven product. I don't know what a SRT unique silent SGD-1 supercharger is or who makes it or how reliable it is. I know there are a few people here on the board that have SRT SC's and I think they are happy with them. But I would like a larger sample size to determine reliability of the SC since this is really the most expensive piece of the kit.

I like SRT and I think they do great work from what I've heard. But for some of us here on the West Cost, driving our car to Maryland is not an option. And I think most of us would want something like this installed by the manufacturer.

Jeff
Old 01-17-03, 04:00 PM
RMMBlair
Driver School Candidate

The SC kit would work on the 430, but some brackets and intercooler pipes would have to be changed. This whole thing about how we are "blowing these out because they are bad" or "they don't produce power" is really stupid. We have been very clear that we spent a ton of money and time on developing and producing these kits. After all was said and done the kits just cost us too much (time & money) to make it worth our while. I will honestly say that our kit is the highest quality/nicest SC kit that has been produced for the GS series. I have driven and/or seen most all of the other kits and this is what I believe. It is 100% reliable, it puts down great power, its quiet and it looks even better.

One more thing... We are trying to get one of the original cars back to do a dyno run to get the TQ specs and to show what kind of power its making after 2 years of use. I will let you guys know.
Old 01-17-03, 04:21 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Wink

You have to do it by hand but you don't need to re-dyno. You can figure out the TQ by using (HP * 5250)/RPM = TQ.

FWIW
Old 01-18-03, 03:21 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew Mr. Johnson would pipe up sooner or later.

Peter looks like you got your's at the right time, lets hope SRT built your SC for the long hall.

Last edited by jimxo; 01-18-03 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-18-03, 03:03 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by RMMBlair
The SC kit would work on the 430, but some brackets and intercooler pipes would have to be changed. This whole thing about how we are "blowing these out because they are bad" or "they don't produce power" is really stupid. We have been very clear that we spent a ton of money and time on developing and producing these kits. After all was said and done the kits just cost us too much (time & money) to make it worth our while. I will honestly say that our kit is the highest quality/nicest SC kit that has been produced for the GS series. I have driven and/or seen most all of the other kits and this is what I believe. It is 100% reliable, it puts down great power, its quiet and it looks even better.

One more thing... We are trying to get one of the original cars back to do a dyno run to get the TQ specs and to show what kind of power its making after 2 years of use. I will let you guys know.

Why is it that when I email RMM about using it on my GS430 I was told NO?
Old 01-20-03, 12:57 PM
RMMBlair
Driver School Candidate

Because the kit doesn't fit the 430. We made it for the 400. I was just letting you know that if you modified it, it could fit the 430.
Old 01-20-03, 04:22 PM
TRDGS3
Driver

Originally posted by RMMBlair
Because the kit doesn't fit the 430. We made it for the 400. I was just letting you know that if you modified it, it could fit the 430.
Modifiy the kit...ahhahaha...that is the funniest thing I have heard all day...why buy something if it dosent fit the car...its like buying a pair of jeans that are a 34-34...when you are a 36-32...if it dosent fit it dosent fit...and besides...RMM is way over priced for 90 hp it costs how much...im sorry...go with the SRT....RMM has been ripping us off for way to long now....they aren't the only "kids" on the block any more....ever look into there brakes!!??...what a joke they are...but I wont get into that....cuz I know i just pissed alot of people off as it is by dissing RMM...

-KRis
Old 01-20-03, 08:35 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Question well..

if someone could get something to sell i would buy a kit, from rmm or srt...
Old 01-20-03, 09:21 PM
JZS160 GS430
ClubLexus Paid Member

Originally posted by TRDGS3

Modifiy the kit...ahhahaha...that is the funniest thing I have heard all day...why buy something if it dosent fit the car...its like buying a pair of jeans that are a 34-34...when you are a 36-32...if it dosent fit it dosent fit...and besides...RMM is way over priced for 90 hp it costs how much...im sorry...go with the SRT....RMM has been ripping us off for way to long now....they aren't the only "kids" on the block any more....ever look into there brakes!!??...what a joke they are...but I wont get into that....cuz I know i just pissed alot of people off as it is by dissing RMM...

-KRis
Actually, you interpreted RMMBlair's response the wrong way. RMM is not advertising the supercharger kit to fit the GS430. The website never mentions that the GS400 supercharger setup is compatible with the GS430. He only said that it can be modified to fit the GS430. Two completely different things. That concept goes basically for SRT as well. They did not create a supercharger kit for the GS430, only the GS400's. But I was told before that with modification, it can be made to fit the GS430.

Notice how SRT did not advertise their TT turbo setup for the GS430 (yet). But they did mention that the GS400 TT turbo setup will fit the GS430 with some modification.

Another example would be the SRT intake for the GS400. The GS400 and (1998+) LS400's (and SC400's = VVTi), all share the same engine. But they do not advertise the SRT intake for all models, just the GS400. But as before, they did mention that with some modification, the SRT intake can be made to fit the LS400 and SC400.

Your argument is therefore, irrelevant.

When it comes to cars, anything is possible (with money of course). Therefore, your comparison between S/C's and Jeans is like comparing apples to oranges.

I do agree with you on one factor, I have not been satisfied with RMM parts.

Last edited by JZS160 GS430; 01-20-03 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-20-03, 11:06 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

RMMBlair and several of the people who partcipated in this discussion have been very mature in their input and responses even after unfounded and sometimes over biased comments. I was the first, yes the first, to have the SRT ECU+Intake for the GS430. By the way it was not designed for the GS430 at the time. I was the guinea pig and we had to make several adjustments and flashed the eprom to get it right. So to the person(TRDGS3) that made a snappy analogy of buying jeans that don't fit, well I purchased an ECU/Intake that didn't fit and we made it fit. Its called R&D by the seat of your pants. RMM made the same comparison when he said that we didn't design our SC for the GS430, but we could modify it to make it work.

I am not an expert in MOD's and I will never claim to be. I know more than I let on and I keep quiet for the most part. I respect those in here that have participated in a real discussion and not about "bashing" the competitor.

For those who are heavily biased towards one product or another, thats great, but keep it to yourself. If you can't take the opinions of others, just don't comment. Competition is great and Capitalism is what it is.

GSTT - try not to show your age too often in this topic. You can be opinionated and contribute to this topic without inciting a riot.

I am interested in keeping this topic flowing smoothly, because I would like to see the post of the TQ for the RMM supercharger.

I am all about reliability, fit and finish. I don't care if you can create more HP/TQ at the expense of long term reliability. We all want to enjoy our MOD's for years to come.

Perhaps when my M5 finally arrives I will know a lot more about TQ and HP. But until then, my GS gets me around town nicely.

Lets not start into the BMW thing I didn't buy it for reliability.

My .02 cents worth. Anyone got change?
Old 01-20-03, 11:27 PM
LexFather

Hmmm, it sounds great for people who were interested in SRTs supercharger for 5-7k. Now there is a RMM kit, excellent. Yes the price is more but that is what it costs to get rare items. I just can't believe the TC is not included. I am assuming u need an exhuast and intake as well for maximum results.

Is it compatible with those with a SRT intake and ECU?
What exhaust would you recommend?

It kinda sounds like they found some old SRT supercharger kits laying around and bought em? No 1/4 mile time?

I still think it is great SOMEONE is trying to supercharge the GS without spending 30k on a TT but we have questions.

I have also read some issues on RMM service and some bodykits and grills fit subpar, so what assurance can you give that the kit won't be?
Old 01-20-03, 11:33 PM
JZS160 GS430
ClubLexus Paid Member

Originally posted by Gstt

I 2nd that

I am quite aware that SRT don't make their S/C's no more, hence, that gives the opposition a chance to jack up prices,

who is going to run their S/C at 5-6psi????
10 is more like it with the proper things, Ie: valve body, fuel pump, TC, etc......

I don't recall seeing the dyno's on there site, but i've spoken to MO several times and he has explained it all 2 me, plus he sent me a customer dyno, That's how i got it
Well, there are other dyno charts floating around here on the site you know. Mr Johnson has posted a few dyno's of his Stage 2 (?) and Stage 3 (for sure). It's no big news that customers have dyno'ed their SRT superchargers.

And who is going to run their S/C at 5-6 psi? People who want to be conservative and play it safe will run their S/C's at 5-6 psi.

And for another GS400/430 supercharger kit, something might be brewing (not RMM or SRT).
Old 01-21-03, 12:53 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by Knguyen

I am interested in keeping this topic flowing smoothly, because I would like to see the post of the TQ for the RMM supercharger.
Like I said, we don't need them to re-dyno! You all just made me learn more about Excel than I care to. I also learned to use the magnifier in the accessibility menus to try and read the RMM dyno graph. I think I'm going blind!

In any case, I created the following chart for TQ and HP from the original graph. This should be right. Ignore everything below 3500 RPM as there is no HP data in the dyno to extrapolate TQ.

And yes, my graph is smooth because I didn't use as many data points as they had!
Attached Thumbnails RMM Supercharger kit for GS400 released.-rmm.jpg  

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 01-21-03 at 12:57 AM.

Quick Reply: RMM Supercharger kit for GS400 released.