Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Twin Turbo GS400 Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-03, 07:50 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. How come every time someone asks for the price of this the thread goes down the drain with ....."this is too much blah blah blah." I respect everyone's decision, but let's not get out of hand and call stuff fluff if you know what I mean. I believe there were two other threads where I too explained what I thought about pricing on this TT kit. If you don't like it, don't get it. It's that simple.

Oh, BTW, I meant to say 35K+tax Sorry.

Lee, you got pm.

Last edited by Mariusz; 01-16-03 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-16-03, 08:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Mariusz
Lol. How come every time someone asks for the price of this the thread goes down the drain with ....."this is too much blah blah blah." I respect everyone's decision, but let's not get out of hand and call stuff fluff if you know what I mean. I believe there were two other threads where I too explained what I thought about pricing on this TT kit. If you don't like it, don't get it. It's that simple.

Lee, you got pm.
How is calling stuff fluff "getting out of hand"? It's just an objective analysis of what is being bought for 35,000 dollars.

If you posted about paying 75k dollars for a new GS430, people would tell you that you paid too much. Same goes for here. I mean you still have a nice TT setup now, and kudos to you for that! Very impressive! But don't post and expect to hear all of the good with none of the bad. That's the beauty of message boards, you get a variety of opinions of one subject.
Old 01-16-03, 08:57 PM
jaymode
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mariusz

Lee, you got pm.
Hey man props to you for the tt setup. I hope it goes well but it might suck because isnt going to snow when you pick up you car?

If it does maybe you can have some fun in a parking lot

If i had the money i too would pay that much, and no I actually do not think it is overpaying for the quality work and time that is going it his car. I believe it has been over a month? How long has it been.
Old 01-16-03, 11:31 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Just wanted to say congrats and good luck with the TT setup!! It sounds sweet!! Im looking forward to some kill stories
Old 01-16-03, 11:41 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that really isn't that much to pay to get a GS400 twin turbo'ed. for one, the entire thing was a custom job to begin with. SRT does great stuff with cars, they know what they're doing, and they earn every hour they spend on your car. the money could be a bit lower, but if you want your GS400 to be twin turbo'ed this is the kind of thing you have to do. sure you saw the other twin turbo'ed GS's $001 and #002... but do you know their specs and how much hp they are running? marius, pulling over 500 WHP is just amazing. it's a small price to pay for a custom job. as most of you say yourselves when people want to do custom jobs "it'll cost a lot of $$$"... this is just proof to your point. custom does cost $$$...
Old 01-17-03, 12:26 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Threxx

How is calling stuff fluff "getting out of hand"? It's just an objective analysis of what is being bought for 35,000 dollars.

If you posted about paying 75k dollars for a new GS430, people would tell you that you paid too much. Same goes for here. I mean you still have a nice TT setup now, and kudos to you for that! Very impressive! But don't post and expect to hear all of the good with none of the bad. That's the beauty of message boards, you get a variety of opinions of one subject.
Fluff is far from objective my friend. It is an understatement for the type of quality work that is being done. Have you any idea what has to be done to more than double the output of a car's engine and keep it reliable? This being said......in a Luxury car that never meant to have 650HP+? For the sake of comparison (again) let's take the Supra as it is prolly one of the nicest cars around and not that expensive to mod. How much is a TT setup on a Supra? Call around and you will see just the TT kits priced for 8K. Add on a fuel system 2.5K, labor $3-4K, rebuild tranny $4K from Lexel 10 and $7K from Sound Performance (probably the best tranny around), another 1.5 K for the VPC or AEM, $400 for a boost controller, $100 for a turbo timer, $1300 FMIC, $400 for polishing and heatshielding and 4-5K if you want some engine work, etc...and you are quickly approaching 25K. This is NOT a custom setup and there is a **** load of tuners who can do it. That does not include $800 for a tranny TC or TRD LSD (as it is not needed in the supra) So, here we have common off the shelf setup for $25K on one of the fastest and easiest to mod cars around and 35K for a Luxury sedan which in my opinion is very selective and completely rare. The total job is CUSTOM. I'm sorry as this is not for everyone, but the price does not seem blown out of proportion. Have you seen what a Novak BMW costs and how much power it adds? How about Hennesey Viper setups? Have you actually talked to John Lingenfelter to see how much the total $ for the Corvette setup would cost you? The price is just right. Not ridiculous and not the cheapest, but if you do decide to get it, the amount of other cars like it on the road or in the States will be counted on your fingers. This is not a "volume" production. It is a statement from a company that says, "This is the stuff we can do. No one else has done it."
Old 01-17-03, 12:28 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Big thanks to everyone on your kind comments.
Old 01-17-03, 01:10 AM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

Hey man sounds hott good luck and try not to leave to much rubber on the roads.

i see people flying off the handle at the price when really it is none of their business, you want to know the price and he gave it to ya boom right there. he wanted this package and he had the money to spend so it is his decision, who are you to say that it is fluff or stupid?

and have u seen the price of the TT vettes? 113,000USD+! (for 650HP one, which i bet the GS400TT can make no prob) 100Gs for a corvette? for a car that can only carry 2 people, less reliable (cannot dispute this) and does not the have the Luxury of the Lexus.don't even get me started on the price for a TT package for a viper.

oh well

P.S. regarding the person saying that it would be stupid for a company to make auto tranny insanely strong, well toyota did it will the supra auto! it can handle 550HP stock! that is why u see alot of fast auto supras.
Old 01-17-03, 09:40 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

In comparison, for those complain about the 35k, did you ever see what a Supercharger from Dinan runs for BMW? Brabus packages, these make the SRT system look cheap.

To add a supercharger from Dinan, to a 540I Auto, it is $16,000 PLUS all the labor, which is listed at 275 units. Your spending $20,000-$25,000 for this setup, not including a trans rebuild and your still 100-150HP short!
Old 01-17-03, 10:45 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Shell we all concentrate on the car not the price? There are some that think it costs too much and they will never do it. Fine, you don't have to explain why you are not getting this. There are some that are getting the setup. Fine, you don't have to justify why you are doing it.

You cannot compare turners, and their pricing, like Lingenfelter, Dinan, Brabus to SRT. First of all, they are in the business of modifying different brands. Second of all, they have what SRT doesn't, the name recognition, and they worked very hard and long to get there. SRT is still in the process of building it, but it is not quite there yet. You can disagree with me, but just talk to your friends, colleagues at work, mention Lingenfelter, Dinan or Brabus and see how many people know what you are taking about. Then mention SRT, enough said.

Last edited by ChrisK; 01-17-03 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-17-03, 10:48 AM
apatel
Pole Position

Lets compare apples to apples here. $35k plus tax is actually not expensive if you consider what tuners charge to modify those cars that are in a similar class to the Lexus GS400, namely the E-class mercedes and the 5 series BMW.

Renntech charges a whopping $42800 for a 5.5 L conversion with supercharger on an Mercedes E500. The output at the crank for this setup is close to what Mariusz's car will put out at the wheels. :eek:

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/spla...11/EClass.html

Also, check out the S2-M5 package offered by Dinan.
For $35848, you get...

Dinan S2 M5 Components

Performance Engine Software
High Flow Cold Air Intake
High Flow Throttle Bodies
High Flow Velocity Stacks
High Flow Air Flow Meters
Free Flow Exhaust
Header System
Stage 1 Lightweight Flywheel
3.45 Limited Slip Differential
Front Strut Tower Brace
Rear Shock Tower Brace
Stage 2 Suspension System
Dinan Floor Mats
Dinan Deck Lid Badge
Numbered Dinan S2 Badge

Dinan S2 M5 (2000-2002)

Peak Horsepower .........................470 @ 6900 rpm
Peak Torque Gain ........................419 lb/ft @ 5000 rpm

This package costs as much as the GS400 TT kit and puts out less power at the crank than Mariusz's car will at the wheels. Again
:eek:

To the person referring to lingenfelter, check out the following link

http://www.lingenfelter.com/pac550ttls1y.asp

Nowhere does it mention an upgrade to the internals of the engine or transmission and the kit still costs $25590 for an auto. So for an extra $10k, getting a fully balanced and blueprinted engine and a stronger transmission is defintely worth it IMHO.

Congrats to Mariusz and we're all looking forward to the kill stories and videos
Old 01-17-03, 10:51 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Mariusz,

rebuild tranny $4K from Lexel 10 and $7K from Sound Performance (probably the best tranny around),
Last time I checked, the price for the Sound Performance rebuild trany is $3,400, not $7K.

Last edited by ChrisK; 01-17-03 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-17-03, 10:54 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

The last time I checked name recognition had nothing to do with build quality or performance.

As far as comparing tuners, yes you can compare them. I would compare a GM tuner with a Ford tuner, I would not compare a Ford Turner to a BMW tuner. I think of Lexus of being in a “Class” When I went shopping for my GS I looked at the 540 and the E series. It sets an example that on this “Class” of automobile it is not cheap to tune. You can throw a SC on a Mustang for $3500, it’s just not like that in this class of automobile.
Old 01-17-03, 10:59 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

jpa2400,

I said,
"Second of all, they have what SRT doesn't, the name recognition, and they worked very hard and long to get there."

Wouldn't you think that "they worked very hard and long to get there" would be more important then "the name recognition"?

You said,
The last time I checked name recognition had nothing to do with build quality or performance
As much as I agree with you, how can you prove the build quality of the GS TT package? Of course, the time will tell, but today how can you prove it to me?
. I think of Lexus of being in a “Class” When I went shopping for my GS I looked at the 540 and the E series.
The "class" of the car and the "class" of the tuner are two different things.

Last edited by ChrisK; 01-17-03 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-17-03, 02:31 PM
Gstt
Banned

Dinan S2 M5 (2000-2002)

Peak Horsepower .........................470 @ 6900 rpm
Peak Torque Gain ........................419 lb/ft @ 5000 rpm

This car is doing 12.6 in 1/4mile, Over 4300lb's
its designed to be fast and go fast,
I don't agree with the price tag, U can just do 540 6spd and supercharge that and everything it would cost less than the M5's package.

Benz and Bimmers just cost more period, Tuners, Cars....
thats just how it is,

They make SRT's prices look crazy

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo GS400 Update