Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Install of TRD LSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-03, 02:12 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Install of TRD LSD

HELP! Got a local un-dealer who specializes in Lexus work. They’ve done a lot of work on my previous SC4 and my current GS4 – all very satisfactory, and cheaper than the dealer. They’re all ex-Lexus dealer mechanics who left Sewell Lexus and started up Davenport Motor Company. They’re normally highly qualified to manhandle Lexuses.

I inquired yesterday about installing a TRD LSD and was met with a puzzled look. While they have some experience with Lex rear ends, it’s not extensive – they say Lexus rear ends just don’t give trouble and therefore there’s not a lot of history to go on. They also have never seen the LSD and aren’t sure what needs to be removed/replaced. They’ve never installed one. They’ve swapped out RMM units, but that’s case and all.

They’ll do it and I’m confident that they won’t screw me but I would like some idea of how long the job would take and therefore its cost. They’re guessing about $400. I’d appreciate it if those of you who have had the TRD LSD installed could tell me what you paid and who (dealer, other shop, yourself, etc.) actually installed it.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-18-03, 03:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

from what i have read (yes i haven't done it) the trd lsd is a troublesome one coz' it's not a direct swap unit and they have to open up the stock lsd, and change things inside. i remember reading 8 hrs somewhere
Old 01-18-03, 05:05 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8hrs? Ouch... my mechanics did it in like 3 with time to spare... given they have a "power-bleeder option" to drain the case. $400 is a deal. Just make sure they seal the puppy good and not break any bearings in the process.
Old 01-18-03, 07:22 PM
JacobT

Garnet,

I have posted the details of TRD installation before but for our most Senior member like yourself. I have to do it again

First, you have to remove the whole rear end which includes remove of the exhaust and both half drive shafts. Open up the pumpkin, remove whole stock differential, remove the stock 3.26 ring gear from the stock diff. and re-attach it to the new TRD unit. Torque all bolts to factory specs. and put the new diff. unit back in. Fill the pumpkin with LSD diff. fluid the reverse the process to install everything back.

The TRD unit is designed for Toyota Aristo so it fits perfectly with any shiming. Double check the fittness of pinion and ring gear before close up the unit.

It should be around 5 hours of labor so $400 is a good deal. I paid around $500 for the installation.

Get it installed and I'm sure you'll like it.
Old 01-19-03, 12:17 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend looking somewhere else. It sounds like you are asking for trouble if you have them install your LSD. You could always try a Supra performance shop such as the one we had our meet at in August (MVP?? I don’t remember their name). They should have no problem doing the job correctly. But if you want to stay with someone who has worked on a Lexus, you might want to consider coming down to Austin for a day…there are a couple of good shops down here.
Old 01-20-03, 04:07 PM
JYOO

Yes its true the dealer wont be able to do it, or have never done it. The best place to have it done would be a off road or 4x4 shop, they swap out rear ends and gears everyday. I was charged 300 bucks, they told me the swap was nothing special, just time consuming.
Old 01-21-03, 07:47 PM
oldguy
Driver

My dealer did mine. Wanted spare bearing on hand as occasionally they break coming off. Mine didn't. Also need the car over night so the gasket could cure and not leak when fluid was added. Forget the cost, and my car is not here now for me to look, but $400 is a bargain. But then, mine has the same warranty as the car. Mine chattered some and at about 8000 miles, I had the fluid changed and they added additional LSD additive and now it's better. You'll like it.
Old 01-22-03, 11:40 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

It's a pretty easy, but time consuming install. I installed mine in about 6 hours with a floor jack. A lift would make the install go faster. The link below is to a thread discussing the TRD LSD install. Any shop that works on differentials should be able to do the install. It sounds like your dealer isn't sure of their ability to install the LSD. I would go somewhere else.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=42419
Old 01-23-03, 07:51 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Make sure you use the Royal Purple for the Diff Oil. otherwise, you might hear some weird noise...
Old 01-30-03, 09:50 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM DaveGS4.

He had his installed at our local dealer.
Old 01-30-03, 09:58 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Another Option

Garnet - U could always try to find someone who has swapped out his factory diffy for the RMM one ( like me ) & see if he'll sell ya his for cheap. Then U could have the LSD installed beforehand & just simply swap out the pumpkin itself - that took me only 3 hours with the majority of the labor consisting of removing all the undercarriage parts like the exhaust, braces, etc. Sorry but I've already given my OEM setup to another Member who's planning on taking the same route.
Old 01-30-03, 10:10 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Here is a stupid question to all of you hard core GS400 modders:

What is the benefit of swapping out the stock LSD to a TRD one? And another more stupid question - what the heck does LSD stand for?? Lower something differential??
Old 01-30-03, 11:37 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

LSD is not available stock. LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential. LSDs provide power to both rear tires but allow each to turn at a slightly different speed during cornering. A differential without limited slip (open) will allow one tire to spin under power while the other has ZERO power. LSDs give more traction for maximum acceleration and higher cornering power limits.

When people change from and open differential to an LSD they sometimes change the gear ratio generally to produce more torque to accelerated the car with.
Old 01-31-03, 08:39 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Appreciate the input

Jacob – had another “senior moment” but I appreciate the reminder. BTW, how’s that fine white LS of yours?

Gene – that’s a great idea but you know how impatient us geezers are.

Thanks for the input, guys. I’m anxious to get the off-the-line jump without shredding my (expensive) tires.