Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just Intstalled SRT Intake w/Race ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03 | 01:26 PM
slowlex

Default Just Intstalled SRT Intake w/Race ECU

All I have to say is wow. This is alot of extra horses with a whole new RPM Curve. I use to get, a sort of boggy slowness at the low end (Gone). Extremely happy with extra horses coming from the intake after that POS Weapon-Retarded went into the trash.

Soldering was pretty hard especially when your using a power inverter from your cigarette lighter to power the soldering iron, but at the same time your battery must be disconnected to work on the ECU.

I took some pictures of the wiring because the instructions were in black and white and took a while to figure out which wires needed to be soldered

Overall 4 wires needed to be tapped and one wire needed to be cut and re-routed thru the ECU.

Took 3 hours to install including 3 times to club lex for some help on the wiring to no sucess.
Attached Thumbnails Just Intstalled SRT Intake w/Race ECU-126-2647_img.jpg  
Old 01-23-03 | 02:30 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

actually im writing up a review of the SRT intake.....it is a great intake but if anything you lose on some low end....mostly mid-high range power can be seen with it. At least in my experience with it.
Old 01-23-03 | 03:27 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

In your opinion,

would you spend the $550+ on the SRT intake / ecu combo again?

or put it towards something else?
Old 01-23-03 | 03:46 PM
slowlex

Absolutely worth every penny. Hands down. I have the hookup on it from a guy I know.

I paid like over $375 for that Weapon-R intake and Cold air box and it ended up falling off like 3 times and giving me a ruff idle sometimes. Gave me like 5-8 hp

Even at $600....This is a real intake "system". What was I thinking of just opening up the air inlet and not adjusting the air/fuel ration with a piggy back ECU?

This is the real thing......It doesn't feel like 30 hp, but damn. At least 20-25 real horses. It only been 15 miles. They say it really opens up after 250 miles.

Oh btw....It seems to have changed the shifting pattern (stay in gear longer) but that might have to do with reseting the ECU. Hopefully it stays like this!!!
Old 01-23-03 | 04:10 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

well, I had srt setup before. I have weapon r setup now and for me weapon r setup is better.
if you compare srt to weapon r intake only its not fair. By comparison srt intake has piggy back ecu and weapon r doesn't, well they do but it cost more money.
if you put srt intake only, it will lose power. you have to use with their ecu to gain where weapon r intake does gain with intake only. What I have done is that I tuned weapon r with s-afc and I gained few more horses then srt setup, also the torque and hp curve evened out more with less up and downs. So I guess its different for everyone but for me weapon r with s-afc resulted better than srt with srt ecu. But I have to agree that weapon r intake itself is less quality than srt.
Old 01-23-03 | 04:15 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys for the input...

i'm planning on doing a 2jz-gte swap in the near future, and was wondering if spending the cash for the srt setup would give me some kind of satisfaction until the swap.

i guess i should start buying up 2jz-gte upgrades....

sounds like the SRT would be great with a torque converter,
but i'm defnitely not going to spend that kind of cash for somethine that'll be removed later.

Old 01-23-03 | 04:16 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

by the way,

that pic you took, slowlex, that's of the compartment near the front of the car on the driver's side, right?
Old 01-23-03 | 04:39 PM
slowlex

The weapon-r intake is a cheasy pos designed for ricers (My itake system came with a 3" tubing and the throttle boddy intake is 2" The rubber piece does not step down. You have to tighten the rubber sleave 1" down which looks and probably works horrible. The SRT intake is a quality machined and designed piece of art work. Its actually a little overdesigned. Very thick wallked aluminum making it quite heavy but this reacts with a nice tone.

This is not to discourage anyone from getting an intake system. But do not be fooled by standalone intake systems that don't modify the ECU.

I was thinking of doing the s-afc.....but when you add up the .....
1.) Intake
2.) Cold Air box
3.) S-Afc
4.) and Dyno Testing

waaaay more than $525
Old 01-23-03 | 05:53 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

well thats true,
but I got my intake for $120 and $310 for s-afc module so thats $430. Now it depends on where you go to get s-afc installed and tuned but if you have good relationship with someone who has dyno facility or even if you don't it should be around $300 for install and tuning it. So that comes to $730. Well, it IS more than srt setup but s-afc is way better module that just piggy back ecu from srt. You are not stuck with srt intake setup, s-afc has option of tuning it with any other intakes so in my opinion it is better for me and also I gained more with s-afc setup so I am happy to pay $200 more for those two reasons alone. With cold air box, weapon r cold air box is better then srt, and it cold air box is too expansive for you you can install cold ram air kit for $50 which IMHO draws actual cold air to the intake. When I had srt setup I tried to draw colder air to the intake by attaching factory air director to the heat shied and I got check engine light. I believe srt is not made to have direct cold air to be drawn directly to their intake otherwise its going to give that annoying check engine light. I have no problem with weapon r setup. I am not against srt, they make quality product and they DO have better intake pipe and hoses than weapon r. I just like the overall result that I had. And it might be different for others but I like the fact that I am not stuck with only srt setup, I have option of going with other intakes if I want to and who knows I might have better gain with injen or other intakes. Just my 2cents.
I am very happy for you that you like your srt setup. But watch out, once you start with modding you can't stop and I can almost guarantee soon you are going to look places for more tuning and not happy with current setup. good luck.

Last edited by kapdori; 01-23-03 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-23-03 | 06:10 PM
Lvangundy

I know..intakes are fun n all..

but you're talking $500-700 for 20HP and that's almost the price of a TC or LSD install.

Tough decision..
Old 01-23-03 | 06:53 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lvangundy
but you're talking $500-700 for 20HP and that's almost the price of a TC or LSD install.
Not including the price of the TC or LSD, of course. The upside of the intake is that most can DIY.
Old 01-23-03 | 07:05 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Default weapon-r

now u guys r worrying me i just recieved my weapon-r intake with cold air box but got the wrong color hoses so i sent the hoses back for an exchange , i paid $330.00 for the the intake with cod airbox and ram air kit . i will install it next week and find out for my self and let u guys know
Old 01-23-03 | 07:10 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Default weapon-r ecu

also the weapon-r ecu is a bit expensive like 650.00 why so much and mrsypher said it had a couple of kinks, u guys here the same ?
Old 01-23-03 | 08:11 PM
slowlex

Weapon-R's ECU is crizzap....Stalls your Lex while idling....they wouldn't even sell one till they fix the problem. They should stick to honda's or finish testing their products before *****ing up my Lexus.
Old 01-23-03 | 08:35 PM
LexFather

Well, with the intake, you can install yourself while the TC or LSD requires about 4 hours of labor about another $400.

I bought my SRT intake from Dr. Rick and Jazziz soldered it on for me about 1 month ago. I am SO HAPPY! One thing ya'll forgot to mention is the sound. At low throttle to medium throttle, you really don't hear it but at FULL THROTTLE, with eh BORLA EXHAUST, WHAT A SOUND. People who ride in the car love it, says it sounds like a muscle car. From outside at full throttle, it sounds great as well.

At low speed, it does lag a little but at full throttle and highway speeds, it really OPENS UP!!

I am very impressed.

Quick Reply: Just Intstalled SRT Intake w/Race ECU