Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 07:58 PM
BrandonYas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

Hey guys just got an IS 350 F Sport last week and i want to know what a good cold air intake is.

I'm looking to spend around 300 or less. Might go over if its really worth it.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 11-18-13, 08:20 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonYas
Hey guys just got an IS 350 F Sport last week and i want to know what a good cold air intake is.

I'm looking to spend around 300 or less. Might go over if its really worth it.

What do you guys recommend?
i recommend you save your money, the factory intake with resonator sounds mean, it was free and included with your car, and an aftermarket intake will not gain you any perceivable increase in power. just make the car sound like another rice rocket!
Old 11-18-13, 10:15 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock intake is already cold air. And the good thing is, it won't void your warranty or suffer from hydrolock.
Old 11-18-13, 10:18 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i recommend you save your money, the factory intake with resonator sounds mean, it was free and included with your car, and an aftermarket intake will not gain you any perceivable increase in power. just make the car sound like another rice rocket!
+1

I find aftermarket cold air intakes quite useless on MODERN cars. Cold Air Intake (CAI) manufacturers want to fool you into thinking that with only spending a few hundred bucks you'll see 10HP+ gains AND better fuel economy. The only purpose of just adding a CAI is for cosmetic purposes under the hood.

If you want to gain HP, you're going to have to spend some moolah. Like they say - no pain, no gain. IMHO, adding a cold air intake is only worth it if you also decide to a couple extra thousand to change out the mass airflow sensor (MAF), headers, exhaust, and re-tune your car.

You'll see HP gains and possibly some MPG gains (if after doing all this you can manage to keep your lead foot off the pedal)

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 11-19-13, 10:53 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So i installed the Takada intake. Most noticeable difference is the sound. What I liked about the Takada over the others (greddy, injen, etc) is that it comes with a heat shield. Sounds similar to the resonator, but much louder and you don't have to be 3-4K rpms in or pedal to the medal to hear it.

As far as HP gains, i'm not experienced enough with modified cars to feel if there is a difference. Gas mileage did improve 2-3 MPGs, though only in sport mode. With the stock intake I would average 17-18 MPGs a tank when driving in sport mode, and 20-21 in ECO. Now i get that in both modes. Not sure why ECO mode didn't improve, just stating my observation after plenty of fill-ups since installation.
The following users liked this post:
x11rj11x (09-09-20)
Old 11-19-13, 11:35 AM
ethotie525
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by fastdak25
So i installed the Takada intake. Most noticeable difference is the sound. What I liked about the Takada over the others (greddy, injen, etc) is that it comes with a heat shield. Sounds similar to the resonator, but much louder and you don't have to be 3-4K rpms in or pedal to the medal to hear it.

As far as HP gains, i'm not experienced enough with modified cars to feel if there is a difference. Gas mileage did improve 2-3 MPGs, though only in sport mode. With the stock intake I would average 17-18 MPGs a tank when driving in sport mode, and 20-21 in ECO. Now i get that in both modes. Not sure why ECO mode didn't improve, just stating my observation after plenty of fill-ups since installation.
can you send me the link to where you purchased the intake? and brandon joon accept my request jende
Old 11-19-13, 11:50 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ethotie525
can you send me the link to where you purchased the intake? and brandon joon accept my request jende
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A5155A0A0.aspx
Old 11-19-13, 01:36 PM
liqinwei26
Rookie

I am interested in getting a CAI too, but I am really doubt about it, i am nor sure if it worth spending. Another option you could possibly look into is to get this K&N filter:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2452

this option is cheaper and maybe get the same result?
I am thinking about it now
Old 11-20-13, 11:49 AM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not get a CAI just get the "short ram" such as GReddy. I purchased mine and had it installed over at DynamicTurbo and it comes with the heat shield. Sure it adds a nice sound but I personally felt a difference in my 350. Rev's were quicker and smoother and picked up real nice. Hit up Jay @ DynamicTurbo.com and tell him Jason sent you he has 3 I believe in stock super fast shipping!
Old 11-20-13, 04:25 PM
ethotie525
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stitch626
Do not get a CAI just get the "short ram" such as GReddy. I purchased mine and had it installed over at DynamicTurbo and it comes with the heat shield. Sure it adds a nice sound but I personally felt a difference in my 350. Rev's were quicker and smoother and picked up real nice. Hit up Jay @ DynamicTurbo.com and tell him Jason sent you he has 3 I believe in stock super fast shipping!
Is this the one that you got? Thanks

http://www.greddy.com/products/airin...er:make:Lexus/
Old 11-20-13, 05:33 PM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup that's it

Cold Air Intake-image-1659984819.jpg

You can order it from Jay @dynamicturbo I'm actually going to be seeing him in a bit I can't mention you want one he has them in the shop lmk just PM me
Old 12-08-13, 06:51 PM
ken1
Driver School Candidate

Default Cold Air Intake Installed 2014 IS 350 F Sport

I just had an Injen Cold Air Intake (#SP2092) installed yesterday. It gives this great car the extra juice it needs. Great sound is just plain seductive when you put your foot into it - quiet otherwise. Can definitely feel the extra 19 HP and 17 ft. lbs. of torque in all settings from NORMAL to Sport +. Cost was $238.52 with free shipping from NewLevel Motorsports http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/incoairin20l.html . Then I spent $100 for install at a Ted Wiens shop in Las Vegas - the install took about an hour. Before buying I spoke to Injen. You can choose a black or polished metal finish (same price) and Injen recommends getting the Injen Amsoil DRY version and not getting the Hydrosheild option, or the filter cleaning kit. All that's needed to maintain the filter every 5,000 miles or so is vacuuming the outside or some light air pressure applied to the inside. Too early to tell if I will also get better gas mileage - but - I'll be fine without it since it's a rush driving with it.
Old 12-08-13, 06:55 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ken1
I just had an Injen Cold Air Intake (#SP2092) installed yesterday. It gives this great car the extra juice it needs. Great sound is just plain seductive when you put your foot into it - quiet otherwise. Can definitely feel the extra 19 HP and 17 ft. lbs. of torque in all settings from NORMAL to Sport +. Cost was $238.52 with free shipping from NewLevel Motorsports http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/incoairin20l.html . Then I spent $100 for install at a Ted Wiens shop in Las Vegas - the install took about an hour. Before buying I spoke to Injen. You can choose a black or polished metal finish (same price) and Injen recommends getting the Injen Amsoil DRY version and not getting the Hydrosheild option, or the filter cleaning kit. All that's needed to maintain the filter every 5,000 miles or so is vacuuming the outside or some light air pressure applied to the inside. Too early to tell if I will also get better gas mileage - but - I'll be fine without it since it's a rush driving with it.
Are there any recent dynos completed on a 3IS that confirms the gains everyones receiving from these intakes?
Old 12-08-13, 07:35 PM
tlr
Rookie

Not saying is not true, but would like see independent dyno numbers
Old 12-08-13, 07:43 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

HP and WHP are going to be different, with WHP being less. But, I'd be really impressed if the gains of the CAI were 10 WHP, but I'd be willing to bet that it's only around 5 WHP...if that much.

Last edited by Celsius; 12-08-13 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake