Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 07:51 PM
Nsteezyy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Turbo.

Hey fellas, so I decided that I wanted to do a rear turbo.
I know there isn't much of a gain, but I'd like to try it out. I know our engines are high compression ratio and I know I can potentially blow my motor.
Safely I will probably be pushing 5-6.5 PSI
So, what would I need? So far all i know is Turbo, External Oil Pump, Waste gate, a lot of tubing, BOV. What else would I need?
Would I be able to run a ECU Piggy back?

Any help would be great. Also tips and advice

Thanks guys! Hoping to make this happen!
Old 11-23-13, 08:59 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not really sure about the ECU since everyone has issues with tuning the newer toyota cars. STS and a few other companies has universal rear mount turbo kits I would start there and kind of source the parts based on what they use.

I will say that I had a friend who used a rear mount turbo and its really cool but they had issues keeping the return piping pressurized. Turbo was cranking at 8-10 psi (at least was supposed to) but by the time it went through all the return pipes, FMIC, etc; it was the equivalent of 5-7 psi. Which is not bad but not great.
Old 11-23-13, 11:15 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, not trying to burst your bubble or crush your dreams, but if you want a bit more power and don't want to break the bank I would sell and go for an ISF...the cost of boosting these engines will cost 2-3 times the amount of trading up.

Getting that out of the way...you will also need an intercooler, custom intake, a very good exhaust shop to make all your piping, a Toyota fuel mapping engineer to tune your piggy back, sponsorship from Mark Cuban to finance, and then me to test drive...lol
Old 11-23-13, 01:51 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

You CAN run a piggy, mapecu3 or hks fcon. You don't NEED it tho. I've been boosted for a little over a year now, running around 7psi and no issues, just fun. just got home from a couple hour road trip and it's still a blast on the highway hearing it spool and the BOV
Old 11-24-13, 11:04 AM
Nsteezyy
Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
You CAN run a piggy, mapecu3 or hks fcon. You don't NEED it tho. I've been boosted for a little over a year now, running around 7psi and no issues, just fun. just got home from a couple hour road trip and it's still a blast on the highway hearing it spool and the BOV
Are you s/c'd?
Im starting to mock up everything with the pipes and all.
Old 11-24-13, 11:59 AM
stewb10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
Ok, not trying to burst your bubble or crush your dreams, but if you want a bit more power and don't want to break the bank I would sell and go for an ISF...the cost of boosting these engines will cost 2-3 times the amount of trading up.

Getting that out of the way...you will also need an intercooler, custom intake, a very good exhaust shop to make all your piping, a Toyota fuel mapping engineer to tune your piggy back, sponsorship from Mark Cuban to finance, and then me to test drive...lol

For the record, you make boosting these cars sound much more difficult than it is. I'd consider my s/c kit experience to be just a step above a bolt-on mod, to be honest.

That being said, OP, a rear mount turbo is uncharted territory. You're going to do a lot of legwork that I didn't have to do.

That also being said, if I parted out my whole car and traded it in, I don't know that I could buy an IS-F. And thats bone stock, with about the same WHP I'm putting out now, and far less unique even if it is a cut above. I say if you have the patience, money, and realistic expectations, go for it.
Old 11-24-13, 01:38 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stewb10
For the record, you make boosting these cars sound much more difficult than it is. I'd consider my s/c kit experience to be just a step above a bolt-on mod, to be honest.

That being said, OP, a rear mount turbo is uncharted territory. You're going to do a lot of legwork that I didn't have to do.

That also being said, if I parted out my whole car and traded it in, I don't know that I could buy an IS-F. And thats bone stock, with about the same WHP I'm putting out now, and far less unique even if it is a cut above. I say if you have the patience, money, and realistic expectations, go for it.
I 100% agree with this. Boosting these cars aren't "difficult" or overly complicated with a centrifugal supercharger. people just refuse to spend the money on the "low gains".

And to answer the OP yes I'm supercharged, as is Stew (obviously) lol.
Old 11-24-13, 04:00 PM
Nsteezyy
Driver

I 100% agree with this. Boosting these cars aren't "difficult" or overly complicated with a centrifugal supercharger. people just refuse to spend the money on the "low gains".

Damn would love to be supercharged LOL. But im definitely going forward with the rear turbo.
How many 2IS's do you see rear turbo'd? I should start the build next month if I get everything by the time.
Old 11-24-13, 05:53 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Do the rear turbo if you have the materials! I mocked up a setup last winter and abandoned the project only because of the ground clearance and how I stance my car. I already had a S/C setup but wanted to "try" a rear mounted twin turbo setup. I will tell you that with all the piping and WGs it gets really tight. That and running a full time oil pump were enough to derail me and just stay 7psi on my Rotrex blower.

Anyway, go for it, the car will PRODUCE with 7psi and you'll be all smiles if you can effectively work out the install logistics.
Old 11-24-13, 05:56 PM
stewb10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. "low gains" for the money.

F-sport Exhaust: $1200 for 8whp + good sound = $150/hp

Supercharger: $5000 for 100whp + great sound = $50/hp

Old 11-24-13, 06:00 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by stewb10
Yes. "low gains" for the money.

F-sport Exhaust: $1200 for 8whp + good sound = $150/hp

Supercharger: $5000 for 100whp + great sound = $50/hp

SC'ing this car has been the most enjoyable experience given the time/effort per dollar of any car I've owned...and I've owned A LOT. Never has 7psi been so Relevant
Old 11-24-13, 06:36 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

There was someone else on here looking at a remote-mounted turbo setup, but obviously that never got going past the idea phase. I think with removing the rear mufflers, you'd find room for the turbos/WGs/piping/oil lines/etc. Hell, you'd probably not have to run mufflers on that setup; just pipe it out the back. Here's an example of a clean remote-mounted RWD twin turbo setup :

Also, I'm curious if the port injectors on the 350 can be upgraded to larger; never seen them in a picture, so I'd have no idea if its possible. Nor if the factory ecu could compensate for the larger fuel delivery too. Just a thought.

Last edited by Gville350; 11-24-13 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-24-13, 08:54 PM
Nsteezyy
Driver

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Do the rear turbo if you have the materials! I mocked up a setup last winter and abandoned the project only because of the ground clearance and how I stance my car. I already had a S/C setup but wanted to "try" a rear mounted twin turbo setup. I will tell you that with all the piping and WGs it gets really tight. That and running a full time oil pump were enough to derail me and just stay 7psi on my Rotrex blower.

Anyway, go for it, the car will PRODUCE with 7psi and you'll be all smiles if you can effectively work out the install logistics.
Would you be able to tell me what you used for the piping, and how much?
Hopefully this project will work out! And I will be one of the few with a Remote turbo!

Originally Posted by mikellucci
SC'ing this car has been the most enjoyable experience given the time/effort per dollar of any car I've owned...and I've owned A LOT. Never has 7psi been so Relevant
I will probably boost 5-7 psi. But how the hell would I do that with two turbos that are 5-30 PSI LOL.

Originally Posted by Gville350
There was someone else on here looking at a remote-mounted turbo setup, but obviously that never got going past the idea phase. I think with removing the rear mufflers, you'd find room for the turbos/WGs/piping/oil lines/etc. Hell, you'd probably not have to run mufflers on that setup; just pipe it out the back. Here's an example of a clean remote-mounted RWD twin turbo setup :

Also, I'm curious if the port injectors on the 350 can be upgraded to larger; never seen them in a picture, so I'd have no idea if its possible. Nor if the factory ecu could compensate for the larger fuel delivery too. Just a thought.
Thanks for the pic! Really helpful.

I have been wondering should I run a twin setup? Or should I just go with a single? Wouldnt more lag be produced if I was running a twin setup?
Old 11-25-13, 10:36 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Twins. Small. 7 lb WG Springs. No need for a manual boost controller. You will spool EARLY and OFTEN.
I never ran piping but it would have been 2.5" aluminum (or even 2.25") from the FMIC to the compressors. Its a long length of pipe to tuck but easily done.

Again, my gripe came when it came to the orientation of the turbos in the stock muffler spaces. No matter which way I clocked the hot or cold side piping was coming in at a sharp angle and you could "see" it under the car...which means I could scrape it with how low my car is and where I drive. No thanks, too big of a risk.

All in all its a simple proven concept that works on numerous platforms. I do love the sound of baby turbos spooling and open dump tube WGs warm my heart as well!
Old 11-25-13, 12:28 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

^The open dump tube from my boosted Honda didn't warm my heart...it scared the **** out of fellow drivers. LOL! The turbo's spooling itself made me melt!

Quick Reply: Rear Turbo.