Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 09:02 AM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
The oil pumps are pumping around 40psi, there are restrictors at both turbo inlet oil lines.
Lesson learned about drilling them out: they are supposed to be small. Almost like nitrous jets.

You still may need a T'ed bypass to help lower the pressure especially when the oil is cold unless your pumps have internal bypasses. In a standalone system w/o a bypass the pressure dead-heads and can increase very quickly and also make the pumps work a lot harder/hotter than they need to. You may want to look into a distribution block in order to easily attach an oil pressure gauge.
Even a brass extension on the pump outlet tapped for 1/8" NPT or whatever the gauge requires should suffice.

Last edited by SH4DY; 12-29-13 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-29-13, 01:23 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car has been running good now with the new turbos. Still taking it easy on the throttle for now. No check engine lights, gas mileage is still great on the highway (29mpg average).

Hopefully I can get it dynod this coming week.

Once I see what kind of numbers I'm pushing, the turbo kit will go up for sale. I've had many PM's and inquiries on the complete setup and I actually want to try a front mounted turbo setup now.
Old 12-29-13, 02:43 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

^Front eh? I also believe with moving around of some of the components you can make room for it; even twins. It'll take some a nice, custom pipe-work though; but will be killer once done.
Old 12-29-13, 02:47 PM
Nsteezyy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Car has been running good now with the new turbos. Still taking it easy on the throttle for now. No check engine lights, gas mileage is still great on the highway (29mpg average).

Hopefully I can get it dynod this coming week.

Once I see what kind of numbers I'm pushing, the turbo kit will go up for sale. I've had many PM's and inquiries on the complete setup and I actually want to try a front mounted turbo setup now.
I'll take it off your hands! LOL.
Glad to hear its running and working fully.
Do you mind posting a video of how it runs as of now?
Old 12-29-13, 02:51 PM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I hope you seriously consider external wastegates the next time around. They should help alleviate some of the "packaging" (spatial) issues that you're having now.
When you dyno it make sure along with A/F and boost they log AIT's, timing and knock if they can log OBDII PIDs.
Old 12-29-13, 03:40 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SH4DY
I hope you seriously consider external wastegates the next time around. They should help alleviate some of the "packaging" (spatial) issues that you're having now. When you dyno it make sure along with A/F and boost they log AIT's, timing and knock if they can log OBDII PIDs.
Yeah I'll be doing an external waste gate.

I already spoke to the shop that'll be dynoing the car and they'll be monitoring everything.
Old 12-29-13, 03:42 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nsteezyy
I'll take it off your hands! LOL. Glad to hear its running and working fully. Do you mind posting a video of how it runs as of now?
I'll make a video of the car by Tuesday afternoon. Gotta go pickup my go pro camera mounts from my friend later today.
Old 12-29-13, 06:26 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious to know what method your gonna use. Front mount is probably going to be not too much different than the rear mount. I don't think there is any manifolds available for the 4GR engine (if you plan on doing twin turbo). Especially if there isn't a ton of space and I am not sure if you have space to remove the engine to assess the situation.

What my buddy did for his TT GTO was mounted them under the car and around the transmission and intake ducts to the fog light locations. If not then single top mount turbo might be where you want to be, but MUCH more difficult to accomplish
Old 12-29-13, 07:46 PM
asuraIS250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with NYKnick101, gonna either have to do what his buddy did or take the adventure of cutting to get the twin or single turbo to fit if ur wanting to mount it in the engine bay, honestly better off with the set up you have now imo
Old 12-30-13, 09:24 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure I can get a single turbo to fit where the stock airbox used to be. I'll have to cut into the fender well but that's no big deal. I was at a local car meet last night and I had the honor to run into a guy with a rear mounted twin turbo ISF. Surprisingly he is not a CL forum member but he looked through my TT system and said it looks great
Attached Thumbnails Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build-image-3403003962.jpg   Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build-image-180717543.jpg   Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build-image-2101315026.jpg   Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build-image-1216742998.jpg  

Last edited by e46m3lol; 12-30-13 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-30-13, 10:32 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure I can get a single turbo to fit where the stock airbox used to be. I'll have to cut into the fender well but that's no big deal. I was at a local car meet last night and I had the honor to run into a guy with a rear mounted twin turbo ISF. Surprisingly he is not a CL forum member but he looked through my TT system and said it looks great
The only issue which most people run into is running the exhaust up forward to do that. I think companies like holley (or could be hooker) offers that setup for GM V8 engines because they make reverse headers that point forward instead of backward for that EXACT issue for engine bays with tight spaces. I saw it this summer when I was on the Power Tour. Not sure if its available for more cars. You may have to do a custom manifold but that gets pricey and again, not sure if you have the space or another car to have your engine out for an extended period of time.

Honda/Acura been using sidewinder turbo kits for their V6 engines for a while but those engine bays also have the room to do so. plus their kits come with headers and manifold. Look and see how they do it! Not really sure with the IS. I just looked under my hood and its tight and It does seem possible with either A. "A lot of money to custom build a manifold" Or B. "A lot of exhaust piping under the hood" (B could increase the over all temperature under the hood as well) If you want to do anything upfront like that, I suggest SuperCharger instead of turbo charger

Either way, turbos under the car near the Tranny MIGHT be your best option for both money, and performance wise; convenience to have access to them you WONT have though with out a lift. Honestly, that rear mount turbo kit that you made is probably the BEST turbo option for our cars so I would start by contacting Greddy, or who ever and have them patent your kit to make some money off of it. the moment you say twin turbo, A lot of companies get interested. Plus it would be great for BOTH AWD and RWD options. The only thing I DONT like is the no mufflers.

Last edited by NYKnick101; 12-30-13 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-30-13, 12:08 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
The only issue which most people run into is running the exhaust up forward to do that. I think companies like holley (or could be hooker) offers that setup for GM V8 engines because they make reverse headers that point forward instead of backward for that EXACT issue for engine bays with tight spaces. I saw it this summer when I was on the Power Tour. Not sure if its available for more cars. You may have to do a custom manifold but that gets pricey and again, not sure if you have the space or another car to have your engine out for an extended period of time.

Honda/Acura been using sidewinder turbo kits for their V6 engines for a while but those engine bays also have the room to do so. plus their kits come with headers and manifold. Look and see how they do it! Not really sure with the IS. I just looked under my hood and its tight and It does seem possible with either A. "A lot of money to custom build a manifold" Or B. "A lot of exhaust piping under the hood" (B could increase the over all temperature under the hood as well) If you want to do anything upfront like that, I suggest SuperCharger instead of turbo charger

Either way, turbos under the car near the Tranny MIGHT be your best option for both money, and performance wise; convenience to have access to them you WONT have though with out a lift. Honestly, that rear mount turbo kit that you made is probably the BEST turbo option for our cars so I would start by contacting Greddy, or who ever and have them patent your kit to make some money off of it. the moment you say twin turbo, A lot of companies get interested. Plus it would be great for BOTH AWD and RWD options. The only thing I DONT like is the no mufflers.
I don't really lose much by trying to mount the turbos up front, worse comes to worse I'll just build another rear mounted kit
Godspeed was really interested with my build after I told them what I used the turbos for. I've gone to 2 big car meets now and all the honda guys keep asking me where the turbos are at because with the hood open it just looks like a cold air intake ha ha

I don't know if the AWD and RWD cars have the same undercarriage components but we don't have many AWD 2is' here in Cali for me to find out. I am really curious to find out if it works on the AWD.

I'll make a youtube video so you guys can hear that even without the mufflers or resonators, the car is not loud at all.
Old 12-30-13, 12:12 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

So how did the IS-F have his turbo oiling system setup? Notice how from that one pic that the oil return was straight down.

To help get you pointed in this new direction of "in-bay" or "post-header" turbo setup, perhaps a set of "cheapo" ebay headers would help :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-09-LEXUS-IS250-2-5-LITER-V6-2-PIECE-DUAL-EXHAUST-HEADER-PIPE-STAINLESS-STEEL-/271321057669?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AIS250&hash=item3f2bfec985&vxp=mtr#ht_3532wt_1084
I also agree that using external WGs will help with the spacial constrainants.

Yeah, turbos act as mufflers really; thus the reason I was able to street my boosted Civic with a 3" mandrel bent tubed exhaust with nothing muffling it.
Old 12-30-13, 12:27 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

He is running the oil system from his motor, all the way back and then has a scavenger pump that pulls the oil from the turbos and the oil goes back into one of the crank case vent hoses.

I do see what you mean by the oil inlet being directly vertical to the oil return, however... his other turbo was slanted to the side just like mine.
Old 12-30-13, 01:35 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

I don't really lose much by trying to mount the turbos up front, worse comes to worse I'll just build another rear mounted kit

I don't know if the AWD and RWD cars have the same undercarriage components but we don't have many AWD 2is' here in Cali for me to find out. I am really curious to find out if it works on the AWD.

True, I just would hate to see you chop up your bay and not accomplish your task at hand. But I think what your doing is really making moves for the 2IS community because I love doing big builds but all i hear from people is the 2IS we cant do much. I do suggest doing some mocking up before any cutting though.

and the RWD/AWD is almost identical from the tranny back. The transmissions are different because it does have the upshaft for the front differential, and front end components are different but I doubt there are any differences in the rear end. The differential is on the left so as long as you keep all your charge piping to the right/passenger side, I think it would be fine. I've Also seen some people run their charge pipes through the side skirts (but its on cars that have enough space). With minor changes, I can see this working on the 2IS AWD no problem.

I DO want to ask you (idk if you have the money to) to throw some headers on the car before you perform the dyno because the stock headers may be restricting exhaust flow. If im not mistaken, the OEM header has a Pre-CAT on it. It may be the difference between 10-20hp with the turbos. I would like to see it done before you sell that kit cuz I would like to do that to my 2IS at some point. If you already have headers, then disregard

Name:  IMG_5900.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  181.6 KB

Last edited by NYKnick101; 12-30-13 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build