Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-13, 12:50 PM
Smashin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job on the build! You've got great determination there Sir!
Old 12-31-13, 03:52 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

When's the dyno happening??
Old 01-01-14, 06:57 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by heyarms
When's the dyno happening??
I was supposed to do some dyno pulls yesterday but I found out I had a slight boost leak from one of the pipes. Had to take it back to the shop that fabricated the piping and got it fixed. By the time the car was done, the dyno shop was closed

Forgot to post this the other day. I'm boosting roughly 6psi at WOT
Attached Thumbnails Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build-image-233018177.jpg  

Last edited by e46m3lol; 01-01-14 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-01-14, 07:04 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I DO want to ask you (idk if you have the money to) to throw some headers on the car before you perform the dyno because the stock headers may be restricting exhaust flow. If im not mistaken, the OEM header has a Pre-CAT on it. It may be the difference between 10-20hp with the turbos. I would like to see it done before you sell that kit cuz I would like to do that to my 2IS at some point. If you already have headers, then disregard
I don't have the funds for headers at the moment or else I would get some. I may be able to pick up a cheap set off of eBay. I have to do some research to see if those fit decently.
Old 01-01-14, 09:48 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Is your car running properly? How many miles has the stock ecu seen on this setup without issue? The last thing I would do are WOT runs with an ecu grasping at straws trying to keep up. Maybe everything is fine now?

IMO as far as your front mount setup goes-
The manifold design, turbo location and exhaust routing will pose major challenges and for sure risk HP gains over a properly done rear mount setup.

Do a front mount setup if you want but it will be at great cost to achieve a decent manifold design and you will NOT make any more power; almost guaranteed. Aside from design and efficiency challenges you will exponentially increase under hood temperatures stuffing a turbo in there. Your downpipe will be a twisty straw design and net you a whole lot of HEAT under the hood. This will be very different than any "standard" underhood turbo setup because we have zero space. Any worthwhile design risks putting the intercooler piping overly close to the exhaust components. I promise you the "wow" factor will not be worth the performance gains or lack there of.

You can def. pull it off but the results may be less than ideal

Check out Greddy's design of the TT 350z builds they've done. If you could somehow get exhaust manifolds build or replace the cats with tiny turbos that may be a viable option....

You might and I stress MIGHT be able to get a small single down on the block where we mount superchargers but its tight. That may be your best shot at keeping a downpipe near exhaust components but the manifold design would be TOUGH.

If we had frontal area this would be ideal; but try that on our engine bay!

Old 01-01-14, 04:32 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

^The above could be done on passenger side with ease I think; but the problem is the driver's side. Major items would have to be removed AND moved in order to make it happen. Remove windshield fluid bottle and filler neck and then move somewhere those other fuse/ecu blocks.

I'm also in agreement that there's no POWER advantage (in this case) in doing a front vs remote mounted turbo setup. The things you do gain from the front turbo setup, is better ground-clearance and less chance of debris damaging you remote turbo components. Oh, also easier turbo oiling system too I'm sure.

Ultimately, it can be done with enough time and money; it'll be killer no doubt!

But perhaps the mid-turbo setup (turbo after the header, perhaps connected to a set of ebay headers) would be the best of both worlds.
Old 01-01-14, 06:29 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for the input on the front mounted turbos. After putting the car on a lift. I actually see more chances of placing the turbos right after the headers. I'll toy around with that once this current system is gone as I'll have the funds to start this new project.

The car has been running great now. No CEL lights. Been pushing it a bit harder everyday. I've put about 350 miles on the new turbos and it's running strong. It pulls hard specially from 2nd gear and on. Highway pulls are so awesome! Definitely a noticeable amount of power increase.

I have an appointment at the dyno shop on Friday afternoon.
Old 01-01-14, 08:10 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ looking forward to the dyno results.
Old 01-01-14, 08:55 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

love to see the dyno result as well
Old 01-01-14, 09:25 PM
Nsteezyy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
Thanks guys for the input on the front mounted turbos. After putting the car on a lift. I actually see more chances of placing the turbos right after the headers. I'll toy around with that once this current system is gone as I'll have the funds to start this new project.

The car has been running great now. No CEL lights. Been pushing it a bit harder everyday. I've put about 350 miles on the new turbos and it's running strong. It pulls hard specially from 2nd gear and on. Highway pulls are so awesome! Definitely a noticeable amount of power increase.

I have an appointment at the dyno shop on Friday afternoon.
Can I borrow your build for a year or so LOL.
Did you ever get a chance to get the video up?
Can't wait to see the numbers!
Old 01-02-14, 10:56 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nsteezyy
Can I borrow your build for a year or so LOL.
Did you ever get a chance to get the video up?
Can't wait to see the numbers!
You can buy the TT setup

My friend still hasn't given me my go pro cameras back
I'm hoping I can get them back today.
Old 01-02-14, 04:55 PM
Gville350

Tomorrow's the BIG day! Wish I was in the neighborhood so I could drop in. But insure they get WB readings while there.

GL!
Old 01-02-14, 04:57 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
Tomorrow's the BIG day! Wish I was in the neighborhood so I could drop in. But insure they get WB readings while there.

GL!
If you fly out tonight I can pick you up from LAX tomorrow morning ha ha
Old 01-02-14, 05:04 PM
Gville350

LOL! I wish.

Don't forget, you can play with the actuator arms on the internal WG'd turbos to "up" the boost if you're feeling frisky.
Old 01-02-14, 08:19 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
LOL! I wish. Don't forget, you can play with the actuator arms on the internal WG'd turbos to "up" the boost if you're feeling frisky.
Idk if I'll be able to make it to the dyno shop tomorrow after all. I had my friend drive my car while I heard it from the outside and I noticed that my waste gates open really early without building up all 7.5 bs of boost which is what I'm aiming for. I'm gonna have to turn up the boost somehow on these internal waste gates. Not sure if that's possible...

You can hear the waste gates open even at light throttle http://instagram.com/p/isSqx6N8RO/

Quick Reply: Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build