Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 12:09 PM
Gville350

Received 436 Likes on 387 Posts

I cannot view YouTube vids at work, so I'm limited to what I've read; but I agree on ALL couplers, you should be using T-bolt clamps like this and NOT worm clamps :

In conjunction with them, the shop should have welded a bead onto the lip of each section of piping or bead-rolled the edges. Otherwise you'll encounter similar pipe-blowing off situations when under boost.

Side-note, here's what a pipe under 21psi sounds like when exploding off the TB (even with T-bolt clamps). Yes, my car on the dyno :

Old 12-23-13, 03:28 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll order up these t bolt clamps right now. I don't really trust these cheap clamps that are currently on the car.

I haven't posted about the oil system... 1 pump wasn't enough to pull the oil through both turbos and back into the tank so I ended using a pump to push the oil from the tank to the turbos and from the turbos back into the tank. I have a slight leak from one of the pumps and then a slight leak from one of the turbos. I'm running rubber oil lines but I'll end up switching them over to steel braided lines as soon as I can. I have to source out higher quality oil pumps. I do a lot of driving (about 35k a year) and I wouldn't really trust my setup right now to drive too far.
Old 12-23-13, 03:43 PM
Gville350

Yeah, I was going to mention that you'll want SS lines at the very least so that debris doesn't hack up the rubber lines to pieces. Once you figure out the oiling system, please post up pics so we can see it all.
Old 12-23-13, 03:47 PM
Gville350

Oh, and about the idling...have you disconnected the battery yet to force the car to re-learn everything?
Old 12-23-13, 04:03 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
Oh, and about the idling...have you disconnected the battery yet to force the car to re-learn everything?
Yeah I disconnected my battery for a couple minutes but it still idles rough. I haven't taken it on the fwy yet. I'll be doing that later tonight so that the ecu learns my driving habits.
Old 12-23-13, 04:22 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -
Forum Moderator

Received 121 Likes on 48 Posts

hows it running other than the rough idle?
Old 12-23-13, 04:29 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Aside from whats already been mentioned you may need to look at your BOV more closely. I had a heck of a time dialing in my Synapse back in the early days of boosting this motor. It was either too stiff and not opening enough or it was so loose causing pressure fluctuations at idle and low rpm. If yours is so open to the point of air puffing out your MAF is going to freak out. The bov should be slightly open at idle but not chugging air out sounding like a choo choo train. lol

I hate to be picky but your maf and bov are damn close together as well. It looks like you only have a few inches and then a coupler separating them...maybe 5-6" apart? I would move the maf up first and then the bov down lower if issues continue.

Take for example the LMS pipe. Look at the distance between the MAF and BOV flange

Last edited by mikellucci; 12-23-13 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-23-13, 04:56 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
hows it running other than the rough idle?
Just cruising around town it feels great. Drives completely normal. Driveability wise,... Can't even tell it's boosted. You can hear the turbos spooling though.

Originally Posted by mikellucci
Aside from whats already been mentioned you may need to look at your BOV more closely.

I hate to be picky but your maf and bov are damn close together as well. It looks like you only have a few inches and then a coupler separating them...maybe 5-6" apart? I would move the maf up first and then the bov down lower if issues continue.

Take for example the LMS pipe. Look at the distance between the MAF and BOV flange

No worries bro. Any help is appreciated specially with a platform I don't know much about. You're correct... my bov and maf are about 8" max apart. I did notice that the LMS kit has roughly about 1 1/2 ft from the bov to the maf. I'm off work in a couple minutes. I'll check out and adjust the bov situation when I get home.
Old 12-23-13, 05:32 PM
Gville350

What BOV did you get? The Greddy Type-S BOV I had used two springs inside (5lb + 11lb).
Old 12-23-13, 08:43 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Rechecked all my vacuum lines and everything seems to be tightened up correctly. I ended up drilling a small hole into the intake manifold and put a fitting with a vacuum line running to that BOV. The bov opens but not until I rev really high.

One concern I have... At idle the turbos aren't spinning. But with light throttle they do start spinning. Not sure if their bad already but I also notice that they blow a lot of oil and I know for sure that's not coming from my motor.
Old 12-23-13, 08:57 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
Rechecked all my vacuum lines and everything seems to be tightened up correctly. I ended up drilling a small hole into the intake manifold and put a fitting with a vacuum line running to that BOV. The bov opens but not until I rev really high.

One concern I have... At idle the turbos aren't spinning. But with light throttle they do start spinning. Not sure if their bad already but I also notice that they blow a lot of oil and I know for sure that's not coming from my motor.
At idle, I think with all the pressure loss with the turbos being mounted far away from the car, I think thats kind of normal. When your car is idle and you put your hand over the exhaust (stock/aftermarket muffler), there isn't much pressure back there to keep them spinning at idle.

Also If your turbos arent spinning at idle, then that rough idle has to be coming from somewhere else. when they bent and put in your charge pipe from the turbos, did they replace the bung for the O2 sensor on the exhaust before the cat. I was looking at some of your earlier pics and it looks as though the stock setup must have been cut or moved. Until you read those codes, your car wont run smoothly.

My buddy has an OBD2 on dash gauge that gives him real time numbers of everything going on from oil temperature, water temp, AFR, and any potential codes that may pop up. If i get the name of it ill be sure to share it. It just sits on his dash constantly plugged in to the car. Kind of like an all in one gauge

EDIT! SCAN GUAGE, thats what its called. works well on his twin turbo GTO

Last edited by NYKnick101; 12-23-13 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-23-13, 09:48 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Nothing was done to the o2 sensors. We didn't touch the cats in the headers. I didn't get a chance to run the codes but I'll be leaving the office early tomorrow and I'll be heading straight to the shop to get it checked out. I'm gonna put it on the rack as well to make sure there are no boost leaks under the car.
Old 12-24-13, 06:51 AM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

How much pressure are those oil pumps running? Remember, the turbos only need ~40psi and anything north of 60psi you'll need a restrictor on the turbo oil inlet. If you're already seeing oil in your charge piping that may be causing MAF issues as well. Have you pulled it and inspected the hot wire? You can clean it by applying non-chlorinated brake cleaner to a q-tip and VERY gently using the q-tip to wipe the gunk off.

I wouldn't worry about the turbo's not spinning at idle that far back. Are they journal or BB?

Also, how much vacuum is your gauge showing at idle?
Old 12-24-13, 07:36 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SH4DY
How much pressure are those oil pumps running? Remember, the turbos only need ~40psi and anything north of 60psi you'll need a restrictor on the turbo oil inlet. If you're already seeing oil in your charge piping that may be causing MAF issues as well. Have you pulled it and inspected the hot wire? You can clean it by applying non-chlorinated brake cleaner to a q-tip and VERY gently using the q-tip to wipe the gunk off.

I wouldn't worry about the turbo's not spinning at idle that far back. Are they journal or BB?

Also, how much vacuum is your gauge showing at idle?
The oil pumps are pumping around 40psi, there are restrictors at both turbo inlet oil lines. I don't see any oil in the chargepipe but I do see a tiny leak in one of the oil lines. The MAF sensor looks clean and there doesn't seem to be any residue.

Boost gauge is showing around 17 hg at idle.

I believe the turbos are journal. I'll be getting the codes checked out today after work.

I checked the BOV yesterday but it only opens up when I rev really high. Not sure if that is normal.
Old 12-24-13, 03:23 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Checked the codes and they're all related to fuel/ air.

P0171
P0174
P0101

Quick Reply: Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build