Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

weapon-r

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-03, 07:23 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default weapon-r

ok...just had the weapon-r inatake put a week ago and was very pleased with the performance, but than my engine light came on. ok i looked threw our search program and found info, i checked all the plugs and hoses and gas cap. so i disconnected the negative battery wire for 5 min. and the light was gone, no problem. but now i spoke to a friend and got scared by the info. did i need to buy a ecu 4 my intake? will the light keep coming on? will this affect my engine? do i need to buy weapon-r's ecu or any ecu ?
anyone had this happen or know info on what needs to b done
Old 02-23-03, 10:20 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you need to buy ecu unless you want to.
weapon r ecu are very expensive and you might think about getting s-afc. basically, piggy back ecu like s-afc and weapon r ecu will give you more gain in power and torque but its not necessary. Regarding check engine light issue, check to see if you are directing too much cold air to the filter. Sometimes if you get too much cold air to the intake you get check engine light. It has happen to me before. I have weapon r intake with s-afc and very happy with the results.
Old 02-24-03, 07:05 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by kapdori
I don't think you need to buy ecu unless you want to.
weapon r ecu are very expensive and you might think about getting s-afc. basically, piggy back ecu like s-afc and weapon r ecu will give you more gain in power and torque but its not necessary. Regarding check engine light issue, check to see if you are directing too much cold air to the filter. Sometimes if you get too much cold air to the intake you get check engine light. It has happen to me before. I have weapon r intake with s-afc and very happy with the results.
thnks 4 the info , first whats a s-afc? 2nd how do i check if its directing to much cold air to the filter and if it is what do i do to slow it down so the light doesn't comeon. also is this bad 4 the engine, or will it cause any problems in the long run.
Old 02-24-03, 10:46 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

actually, even if you are directing cold air to the intake its not bad for the engine. Its just too much cold air is flowing to the intake and either maf sensor or oxygen sensor is detecting difference from stock setting. Its just annoying with check engine light on.
S-afc is apexi super afc. Its computer module to piggy back on stock ecu to control fuel/air mixture to gain more power from intake. But the module has to be professionally installed unless you have done the installation before or know what you are doing. Also it has to be dyno tuned after installation. So its just up to you what you want to do. For reference, my module, installation and dyno tuning altogether costed me around $700.
Its your choice.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-03, 11:20 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by kapdori
actually, even if you are directing cold air to the intake its not bad for the engine. Its just too much cold air is flowing to the intake and either maf sensor or oxygen sensor is detecting difference from stock setting. Its just annoying with check engine light on.
S-afc is apexi super afc. Its computer module to piggy back on stock ecu to control fuel/air mixture to gain more power from intake. But the module has to be professionally installed unless you have done the installation before or know what you are doing. Also it has to be dyno tuned after installation. So its just up to you what you want to do. For reference, my module, installation and dyno tuning altogether costed me around $700.
Its your choice.
Hope this helps.

ok , i'm not really a guy needs speed , i just got the wepon-r intake cus it looked nice and wasn't that xpensive . but my concern was if it would do damage to my engine since the light came on. so i don't really need an ecu or s-afc thats if i really want more power right? but i read in an old post that people reset the ecu by disconnecting it 4 20 min and putting it back on than hitting the car pretty hard for a couple miles so the ecu would learn the new driving habits and realize more air was coming and it would ther4 give more power, is this true? also, (sorry 4 all the questions) if the light keeps coming on after that do i need to have concern or just keep resetting or will it stop coming on?
Old 02-24-03, 05:32 PM
StylinGS300
Driver

Bluelex - I had the same problem after I installed the Weapon-R intake. I had the dealership checked the check engine light out and the code stated that the car was running too lean. Have your car check out and find what the code mean. I keep resetting the ecu and the check engine light still came back on. I got tired of it and got the SRT Intake w/Race ECU instead. SRT intrake is expensive but it's worth the money. That's my opinion.
Old 02-24-03, 05:41 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=75141
Old 02-24-03, 07:47 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

again, if your cel is due to mixture being too lean then s-afc tuning will fix it also. but it is more expensive then srt setup. But on the other hand, you can use s-afc with any other intake and other mods that you might want to do in ther future, where srt is only good with their intake. So its whatever you want to do.
good luck.