Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question on going w/ a single turbo on GS300

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 09:45 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question on going w/ a single turbo on GS300

Im a little frustrated on the limitations of force feeding my GS400. I just cant swing 35 grand on the TT set up, and the superchargers seem to be limited to the RMM set up. Im thinking about selling my GS400 and buying a GS300 to put a single turbo kit on it(then swap all of my other goodies over to the 300). If im not mistaken isnt the GS300 engine the same as the non turbo Supra? I used to be deep into the Supra world, so I know there are a ton of options for going single turbo on that engine platform. Has anyone here gone that route, or does anyone have any input on the subject for me.

I need to be force fed!!
Old 02-26-03, 04:38 AM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BooST

if you're thinkin JZS161 ARISTO.. most of the swaps with the VVT-i 2JZ-GTE disconnect the system and run it as a regular motor.. kinda defeats the purpose to me.. run as a regular motor you're free to do all the mods for power you want tho.
For older JZS147 ARISTO you're forced to go single due to the firewall..
Old 02-26-03, 06:33 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Re: I understand how you feel, I had to make a similar choice also. ->

I had choice of buying a 2000 gs400 in blue with nav and hid or buying a 2000gs 300 in blue without nav or hid but the car was in mint condition. Since I am addicted to boost and I know there is no way in hell my girl will allow me to pay 30k + on a turbo kit my choice became easier. Gs300 all the way, right now the car is slow as hell compared to the cars that I am used to driving but its ok, by next year all of that will change. Honestly a Gs400 is a great car with good performance If I already had a Gs400 I don't think I would sell it to buy a GS300. Keep the Gs400 and if you can afford it buy a corvette or used mkiv supra that will take care of your need for speed if you can afford it.

And to answer your question yes supra n/a and the gs300 have the same motor. If you go on supraforums.com, go in the natural aspirated section and look for DaveH he has a 600+hp NA-T supra that runs 10 seconds on a automatic transmission. Basicly all a GS300 or a n/a supra needs is a thicker head gasket and arp head stud and bigger injectors and we should be good for 500+hp.
Later"Jose
I almost forgot after 350 to 400rwhp you will need tranny work. Valvebody and T/C will be good but eventually with more power you will have to get a built tranny.

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Im a little frustrated on the limitations of force feeding my GS400. I just cant swing 35 grand on the TT set up, and the superchargers seem to be limited to the RMM set up. Im thinking about selling my GS400 and buying a GS300 to put a single turbo kit on it(then swap all of my other goodies over to the 300). If im not mistaken isnt the GS300 engine the same as the non turbo Supra? I used to be deep into the Supra world, so I know there are a ton of options for going single turbo on that engine platform. Has anyone here gone that route, or does anyone have any input on the subject for me.

I need to be force fed!!

Last edited by SUPRA OWNER; 02-26-03 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-26-03, 10:01 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the NA supra also have VVTI?
SRT has a turbo kit ready for you and I am sure that sound performance can cook something up for you (have you seen ebanks SC with a 2JZ-GE, 981rwhp).
Old 02-26-03, 11:17 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Keep the Gs400 and if you can afford it buy a corvette or used mkiv supra that will take care of your need for speed if you can afford it.
I had a couple of mkiv Supra TTs before I went to the GS(you probably have seen them on Supraforums if you have been on there for awhile). The last one was a T88 putting down around 700rwhp, so you see why I'm missing a turbo!! I ended up selling them to go to the GS to meet my wife somewhere in the middle. A Supra is not the ideal car for putting a car seat in the back. buying a used Supra again is not going to be an option, I will end up dropping every penny I have into the thing to get it where my last two were when I let them go, damn I miss them!! I know Toyomoto had a guy with a silver n/a that they converted into the low 10's also. I dont know man, I think a GS300 with a turbo kit might be calling my name!!
Old 02-26-03, 11:37 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Yes the 98 model came with VVTI->

but it seem most of the high power 2jz-ge don't have them or they disable it.
Later:Jose

Originally posted by Richie
Does the NA supra also have VVTI?
SRT has a turbo kit ready for you and I am sure that sound performance can cook something up for you (have you seen ebanks SC with a 2JZ-GE, 981rwhp).
Old 02-26-03, 11:48 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default I feel your pain I was in the same boat->

Thats why I opted to buy the gs300. I figure I make the wife happy and buy something with comfort and luxury and still able to run some 12 second passes on the weekends. So far I am pleased with the car, actually its better than I expected.
Later:Jose

I ended up selling them to go to the GS to meet my wife somewhere in the middle.
Old 02-26-03, 01:55 PM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Default same motor?

VVT-i came out on 2JZ-GTE's in the newer ARISTO's (160/1)
older ARISTO's came with the 2JZGTE/GE (No VVT-i) and a 4.0L V8
Turbocharging a 2JZ-GTE w/ VVT-i the VVT-I is usually disconnected because most engine management systems cannot handle the complexity of the system. much simpler to just run the 2JZ as a standard motor.
anything and everything is possible but... a phrase i like to remember
KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid
You probably be able to use your Block with high compression.. but the head and intake manifold will most likely have to be changed for simplicity.
Old 02-28-03, 02:09 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have been doing some math on potential Lexus turbo systems.

The V8 would look something like this:

Manifolds: $1500 ($750 x 2)
Turbos: $2500 ($1250 x 2)
Intercooling: $1000
Fuel/Timing: $1500 (injectors and computer and tuning)
Exhaust: $1500 (full stainless system)
Misc: $1500 (hardware, gaskets, fittings, clamps, etc)

For a total of: $9500

This does NOT include engine upgrades or transmission mods. This would limit the max power to about 400rwhp. With mods to the engine and tranny 700-1000rwhp is resonable depending on turbos selected.

The I6 would look something like this:

Manifold: $750
Turbos: $1250
Intercooling: $1000
Fuel/Timing: $1500 (injectors and computer and tuning)
Exhaust: $1500 (full stainless system)
Misc: $1500 (hardware, gaskets, fittings, clamps, etc)

For a total of: $7500

As with the V8 this does NOT include engine upgrades or transmission mods. This would limit the max power to about 400rwhp. With mods to the engine and tranny 700-1000rwhp is resonable depending on turbo selected. With the I6 there would be less torque and a peakier engine but very fast whichever engine used. Turbos move air, as long as the engine they are attached to can harness their output... you are only limited by the turbos capacity and of course you can get BIG turbos
Old 03-05-03, 03:32 AM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Default hmmm

now THAT is over simplifying things a bit
granted doin a layout for a V8 twin turbo will cost more doin a 2JZ-GTE swap...
but a stock twin turbo 2JZ-GTE with proper intercooling, cooling system, tuning... will already crack 400hp+ to the wheels
Old 03-05-03, 02:28 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: hmmm

Originally posted by JZS14SEVEN
now THAT is over simplifying things a bit
granted doin a layout for a V8 twin turbo will cost more doin a 2JZ-GTE swap...
but a stock twin turbo 2JZ-GTE with proper intercooling, cooling system, tuning... will already crack 400hp+ to the wheels
JZS14SEVEN, no arguement that a 2JZ-GTE can make 400rwph with relatively minor mods but the smoothness and sound of a 4.0 V8 has benefits also. And, as I am certain you know, peak power is not the same as total power under the curve. A larger engine is simply easier to make more low end power with. I am not trying to convince anyone either way. I have personally driven turbo 4, 6, 8 and 12 cylinder cars and turbo rotary engines. The sound of the V8 was only eclipsed by the V12 (Lamborgini Countach) with Cartech/Baer twin turbo.
Old 03-06-03, 04:58 AM
JZS14SEVEN
Driver

Default perhaps

i'd like to see a properly cooled & intercooled twin turbo QuadCam V8 inside a Toyota
most impressive is how it'll all be packaged
Response in a turbo car is linked more to overall efficiency than engine layout

in either case the path to "excessive power to weight ratio" is much simpler & cheaper for the thread starter seeking more power from his GS by going the 2JZ-GTE route
Old 03-11-03, 07:48 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i also need to be forced fed!!

downloaded some clips from kaaza and i was totally in trance by the sounds of turbo spoof and blow-off valve!! got a severeal questions about considering tubro charge my gs300...

1) when i mention turbo charging the gs, ppl ask me, "to stage one or to stage two?"
my question is how many hp is each number of stage?

2)what's the cost if i want to boost the car to 300-400 hp? do i need to have the automatic transmission reworked as well? can i still get the blow-off sound??

3)i live in south. cali. , any recommanded stores taht would provide durable turbo upgrade? bc i still need my gs to be the daily beater for at least another 3, 4 years.....

thanx a lot guys.

i like this robot cop smilie