Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question on torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-03, 01:14 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on torque converter

those of you who has tc already, I am thinking my next mod will be tc on my 01gs300.
I guess its going to help with low grunt that want. But I was wondering is tc going to cause compensation on normal driving? I mean I don't want to be spinning or chirping my tires everytime you know. How is reaction when just taking off slowly in traffic where there is cars that drive slow in front of me. ( I get that alot here in denver which sucks ) but also maybe I am confused but if I get tc with stall speed of 2800, does it mean that my car won't move from standing still until my rpm gets to 2800 mark? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-03, 08:47 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2800 stall speed TC and have no problems driving in everyday situations. You won't squeal your tires unless you hit the gas...at least that is the way it is in a GS4. And yes, you car will move even when you are under 2800 RPM.

Here is the most simplistic way to think of a TC (it's not exactly the way it works, but it will help you understand). Think of the TC as a clutch that releases at a set rate every time you accelerate. If you floor it, the RPM's will rise faster than the release of the clutch causing you to peal out. If you punch the gas down as you would for everyday driving, the RPM's will rise slower then the release of the clutch thus causing no peal out.

I hope this answers your questions.
Old 03-02-03, 10:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

I think the stall speed is the speed at which it will lock up fully, so under 2800rpm you still get some torque transferred, just not full torque.

I believe there's two discs with 'fins' on them and the spinning of the first one swirls tranny fluid which causes the second one to spin which drives the rear wheels.
Old 03-02-03, 06:23 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I think the stall speed is the speed at which it will lock up fully, so under 2800rpm you still get some torque transferred, just not full torque.

I believe there's two discs with 'fins' on them and the spinning of the first one swirls tranny fluid which causes the second one to spin which drives the rear wheels.
So (keep in mind I know nothing about this) the lower the stall speed the better? And what do you mean by lock up?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 03-02-03, 07:08 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this link will help.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...er/index.shtml
Old 03-02-03, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Sovero1
So (keep in mind I know nothing about this) the lower the stall speed the better? And what do you mean by lock up?
Second answer first ...

The torque convertor is 'locked up' when all input torque is being transferred to the output side. It's operating as if the convetor isn't there, basically. A torque converter is needed though so that the engine can 'spool up' a bit before torque is transferred to the rear diff / wheels.

Now answering the first question... no. If a very low stall speed torque converter were used then the converter would lock up at very low rpms, meaning the engine wouldn't spool up the rpms much before the converter is locked and when the engine is at low rpms it doesn't develop that much torque. So a HIGHER stall speed lets the engine spool up MORE before torque is applied to the rear wheels, and at higher rpms MORE torque is 'on tap' from the engine, meaning a faster launch of the car, easier to spin the tires, etc. It doesn't mean the engine develops more power, but it means the engine is closer to its peak torque output before that torque is applied to the rear wheels. The factory stall speed is 1800 rpms and the stall speed of the 'Dragon' one many people get from Precision Industries (like I have) is 2800 rpms.

Before I installed it I could NOT spin my rear 275 tires from launch. Now I can any time I want. Not that I want to spin them every time, but the higher stall TC provides more of the available torque at ALL times. Bottom line: The car just flat out feels and IS faster.
Old 03-02-03, 07:58 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Talking

thanks for all your answers.
Now I just have to save some money to get one.
Old 03-02-03, 08:11 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Thanks for a detailed explanation, bit...

What sucks is that it doesn't look like PI makes a Dragon for 1st gen GS
Old 03-02-03, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Sovero1
What sucks is that it doesn't look like PI makes a Dragon for 1st gen GS
I'd give 'em a call. They may have one.

http://www.converter.com/dragon.htm
Old 11-11-06, 12:24 PM
ncraan
Driver School Candidate

Smile Tc Recommendation

Hey Guys What Tc Would You Guys Recommend For The 1jz..