Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you have the intermitent low idle problem (400 rpm) in Drive, at stop light?
Yes and it's pissing me off, the car shakes/dies on me a couple of times already
54.90%
No, lucky me
39.87%
what is low idle
5.23%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

How many people here have the low idle problem? please show count

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-03, 08:16 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

banana, what is your idle speed now when you turn on your AC?
Old 03-12-03, 10:58 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I wish Lexus read this thread. 33 and still comming.

GSquicksilver, (with the same throttle cable setting from yesterday)
IDLE with A/C On of today (raining)
P: 800+ ( a bit over the 800 mark, guessing 870)
D: 700 (my normal with AC on is around 620)

better throttle response with this setup because the throttle cable is a bit tight, hee hee

Maybe, I will decrease the throttle cable tension a bit more. My goal is to get 580 or something in D, w/o AC (just a bit below the 3rd mark) I am a bit over the 3rd mark now in D w/o AC, see last post.

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-12-03 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-12-03, 12:58 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK I guess that's what happened to me today. I've got a 99 GS400 w/ 35k miles... I just bought it 2 months ago. Today it was 70 degrees out so I had the windows down and sunroof back and pulled in for a fill up at Amoco. A guy next to me in a brand new Jaguar XJ8 gave me a thumbs up and said "nice car! I haer those things NEVER break down"... then as I started pulling out of the gas station the car just completely died on me. It scared me at first! But man, talk about ironic and talk about making that Jag owner somebody who will never want to buy a Lexus.

If Lexus ignores this problem I suggest that we all make huge signs for the back of our cars that say "THIS NEW CAR CONSTANTLY STALLS AT REDLIGHT. LEXUS WILL NOT FIX IT." And drive around with that sign... heck when you aren't driving it, just park it right in front of the Lexus dealership.

You'd be amazed what negative publicity will motivate a company to do.
Old 03-12-03, 01:41 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

So who is writting a letter to Lexus? the stalling problem is due to the idle speed is too low, could not pull the engine, a few of my stalling were in 5mph rolling slowly in traffic, foot on brake, suddenly stalled, like bad gas, but I used Exxon 93 from the same place everytime, and this only happen a few times in a year, not back to back and run fine (with very low idle in D at full stop, but no stalling) otherwise.
(problem started within year for me, before, it was fine)

welcome to the club. Why don't you just try to adjust the throttle cable like me, it's a 5 min job and report back. My car is running perfectly now.

I have too many modz, not much excuse for me, what about you, Threxxx, all stock right?

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE 98-99 GS, agree?

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-12-03 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-12-03, 01:50 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by BananaGS
[B]welcome to the club. Why don't you just try to adjust the throttle cable like me, it's a 5 min job and report back. My car is running perfectly now.

I have too many modz, not much excuse for me, what about you, Threxxx, all stock right?

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE 98-99 GS, agree?
Throttle cable? I thought these vehicles had no throttle cable and were all computer-controlled?
Should I adjust the throttle CABLE or throttle SCREW? I heard the screw is not supposed to be messed with?

To answer your question I'm 100% stock right down to the lexus air filter and oil filter.

And yes we have a problem with the 98-99 GS, for sure. I called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for Tuesday March 18th. He said they have a brilliant guy who knows pretty much everything there is to know about Lexus vehicles, and if he can't fix it, nobody can... so I'll let you know what happens for sure.
Old 03-12-03, 01:53 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Throttle CABLE (there are 2 tension screw on it) for adjusting. The throttle screws are for adjusting HI/LO idle (not in Drive, idle in N only)

let me know how it goes with your appointment, better yet, print out these page, make sure you describle the problem to them clearly.

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-12-03 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-12-03, 08:27 PM
LexFather

Count me in. Idle was not that bad stock but got worse as the miles piled up. Putting in the SRT intake with ECU, it is still low and it actually cut out on me for the first time. At lights I find myself putting it in neutral or hitting the gas to maintiain 800-900 idle.

I re-set my ECU tonight and the idle has been at 900 so far. I'll see if this is a fix for a month of so. I'll just reset it every month.
Old 03-12-03, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Count me in. Idle was not that bad stock but got worse as the miles piled up. Putting in the SRT intake with ECU, it is still low and it actually cut out on me for the first time. At lights I find myself putting it in neutral or hitting the gas to maintiain 800-900 idle.

I re-set my ECU tonight and the idle has been at 900 so far. I'll see if this is a fix for a month of so. I'll just reset it every month.
Old 03-14-03, 09:52 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My idle is at 800 RPM. Got about 27K miles on this '01 GS300. A/C is off.

Last edited by PHML; 03-14-03 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-14-03, 10:42 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

PHML,

the low idle only affects the GS4's. but thanks for your input.
Old 03-14-03, 11:00 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

my car still run pretty good with the throttle cable adjustment. Anyone else want to try out?
if you don't know how, i can post some picture. let me know.
Old 03-14-03, 11:04 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

banana,

if you can post some pics, that would be great bro.
Old 03-14-03, 06:25 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default you asked for it

Ok, updated my page to refect this.

basically, just tighten the throttle cable a bit to increase the idle rpm. trial and error only. The cool part is, if lexus ever figure out the real fix, I can undo this mod in no time. DON"T over do it, just tighten it a bit to increase your idle to just a bit under/over 600(3rd mark on your tach) when AC is off.

Let me know if this work for you. I am interested to see other response on this.
Attached Thumbnails How many people here have the low idle problem? please show count-p1010033.jpg  

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-14-03 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-14-03, 10:42 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Guys,
I have the rough idle also but only when the temp is below 32 deg. My take on it is that the AC cuts out to provide heat.(same as turning off the AC). The rest of the year the car is perfect. Only noticed it this year because, it ;s the 1st year the car is being used this much in the winter. The owners manual recomends you keep the AC on at all times ,guess they never counted on the auto shut off to provide heat in winter.
Clive.
Old 03-15-03, 05:59 AM
LexFather

**********UPDATE**************

Well, since I took out the ECU, the car is not idling as low as before. Not sure how long this will last but it seems to be a temperary fix.

Quick Reply: How many people here have the low idle problem? please show count