Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you have the intermitent low idle problem (400 rpm) in Drive, at stop light?
Yes and it's pissing me off, the car shakes/dies on me a couple of times already
54.90%
No, lucky me
39.87%
what is low idle
5.23%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

How many people here have the low idle problem? please show count

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-03, 09:19 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just read throug this entire thread. My '95 SC400 also has the idle problem. We first encountered this problem when my wife had just turned to the left on one of the country roads around here and cut the a/c off when the car died. It is extremely dangerous because of all the yahoo's in the Dodge Ram's and 18 wheelers who ride your a$$ all the time. I am furiuos that the tech at our Lexus dealership will just give me back the car with the comment, "could not duplicate problem." It's reassuring to know that you all share in my frustration. I have read the threads from the SC400 posts regarding this issue and will print out those ideas and tech them to Lexus of Austin again. Maybe with all of our complaining they'll realize that the problem is not an isolated one.
Old 03-15-03, 11:34 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, since I took out the ECU, the car is not idling as low as before. Not sure how long this will last but it seems to be a temperary fix.
1sicklex,

what do you mean you took out the ECU? so you mean you don't have an ECU in your car now? or did you take it out and put it back in?
Old 03-15-03, 01:11 PM
LexFather

I reset it. Took it out and put it back in after about 1/2 hour.
Old 03-15-03, 01:48 PM
LEXUS WEST
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pleas clarify for me, did you have any problems with the low idle before you installed the
aftermarket air intake and computer mods?
Old 03-15-03, 02:53 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

I reset it. Took it out and put it back in after about 1/2 hour.
one more time bro. did you just reset it by pulling the battery or the efi fuse or did you actually take the ECU out?

Last edited by GSquicksilver; 03-15-03 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-16-03, 01:32 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Angry Update

OK, with the adjusted throttle cable, I still get 2 incidents today and the day before where my idle in D dip down to 400. So this is not a permanent fix yet.
Old 03-16-03, 07:46 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

crap...

back to the drawing board.
Old 03-17-03, 09:19 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Red face

Who here had the whole throttle body replaced which fixed this problem? need a show of hand, I got a tip from a Lexus master tech, he indicated that replacing the throttle body will do the trick. I am calling lexus tomorrow, just want to make see if any someone had done this before, so I don't have to waste by breath convincing lexus to replace my throttle body.

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-18-03 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-18-03, 04:42 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by BananaGS
....I got a tip from a Lexus master tech, he indicated that replacing the throttle body will do the trick....
Replace it with a newer TB? A la GS430? Man, that has to be expensive. Good 'tip'.
Old 03-18-03, 10:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally posted by Dex
Good 'tip'.
Hey I also got a tip from my Lexus dealer on this. He said replacing my 98 GS400 with a 03 GS430 with ML and Navigation will fix the TPS problem .
Old 03-18-03, 10:47 AM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Unhappy Oh man....

Dude! I just replaced my P.C.V. valve and engine air filter yesterday and this morning on the way to work, I noticed that my idle rpm needle was down to the ONE mark!!!!!!!!! Everytime I stopped at a red light, my car was almost die out, so I had to put it in neutral and step on the gas to the 3rd mark! Then a little later, I put on the AC and the needle stayed at the 2 1/2 mark and this happened even after the engine had warmed up. Funny thing is that before I replaced the P.C.V. valve and air filter, my idle was a little past the 3rd mark! Hmmm...is it b/c the engine is trying to learn everything again? Anyways, during lunch the idle was still in the 2 1/2 mark, so after work today, I'm going to go home and adjust the idle a little higher and see if it stays or returns to it's low position! I talked to Westside Lexus of Houston yesterday about this and they said that they hardly heard of this complaint from customers. Well...let's see what this club can get Lexus to do with this idling problem!

JL
Old 03-19-03, 07:09 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default Getting the whole throttle body replace soon

Lexus is ordering the part now. When they put the new throttle body in my car, I will update again.

Also, the throttle adjusting cable seems to work very well, at least I don't see low idle happen very often anymore I think it's good for a temp fix until I try out my new throttle body (only happen on me 2 times, in 2 weeks, that is great improvement, normally, I see it everyday.)

On another notes, Lexus of Austin is the greatest I came by yesterday and told them I think my low idle problem is due to the throttle body, thanks to the unnamed lexus master tech who also read CL. Kaboom, today, my service guy called me and said that they are ordering the part, the replacement will be free of charge.

RacingLuxury, I would try to reset for ECU first (take out the batt for 10min or something), check to make sure that the PVC and all the connection is tightly fit, no possible leak.

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-19-03 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-19-03, 08:02 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

damnit,

my warranty just expired today as i just hit 70k on my car. now everything will be out of my pocket if i have to fix the rough idle.
Old 03-19-03, 08:07 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

GSquicksilver, try the DIY on my site and increase your throttle cable first, it help alot.
if my change work, you can always go to Lexus and ask for the fix free since you had complaint under warrant, any now they have the real fix. but do try the throttle cable adjustment, maybe it will keep you out of trouble 90% of the time.

Anh
Old 03-19-03, 09:44 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
damnit,

my warranty just expired today as i just hit 70k on my car. now everything will be out of my pocket if i have to fix the rough idle.
Is the OEM Warranty good til 70k on the TB? I thought the standard bumper-to-bumper warranty was 4 years or 60k.

I have a 98 with 60k. Just want to be sure before I possible approach my dealer.

Quick Reply: How many people here have the low idle problem? please show count