Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you have the intermitent low idle problem (400 rpm) in Drive, at stop light?
Yes and it's pissing me off, the car shakes/dies on me a couple of times already
54.90%
No, lucky me
39.87%
what is low idle
5.23%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

How many people here have the low idle problem? please show count

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-03, 12:43 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Dex
Is the OEM Warranty good til 70k on the TB? I thought the standard bumper-to-bumper warranty was 4 years or 60k.

I have a 98 with 60k. Just want to be sure before I possible approach my dealer.
bumper-to-bumper is 4 yr 50k miles
powertrain is 6yr 70k miles

Your throttle-body by any realistic analysis is part of your powertrain since powertrain is defined as "motor, transmission, and any other parts inbetween"

Your throttle body is a bolted-on piece directly related to your motor, so they should cover it.
Old 03-19-03, 01:34 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

what Threxx said is absolutely correct..

on another note, Lexus called, they got the part in stock, taking my car in monday, they did not have to order the part after all
Old 03-19-03, 01:45 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Threxx
bumper-to-bumper is 4 yr 50k miles
powertrain is 6yr 70k miles

Your throttle-body by any realistic analysis is part of your powertrain since powertrain is defined as "motor, transmission, and any other parts inbetween"

Your throttle body is a bolted-on piece directly related to your motor, so they should cover it.
SWEET!

Originally posted by BananaGS
what Threxx said is absolutely correct..

on another note, Lexus called, they got the part in stock, taking my car in monday, they did not have to order the part after all
SWEET!SWEET!SWEET!
Old 03-19-03, 02:50 PM
LexFather

Hey everyone. Since I reset my ECU, my car has been at 900rpm. The low idle has disappeared. I also cleaned the snot outta my engine bay this weekend. Not sure if that does anything but I am happy with the results.
Old 03-20-03, 07:52 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1sicklex, you lucky!

tell us EXACTLY what you did. DIY if you could, hehe.

i reset my ECU and the idle speed is still the same, around 400. but i notice that the car is not rough all the time. even at 400 rpm, sometimes it idles smooth as silk.
Old 03-21-03, 02:51 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Hey everyone. Since I reset my ECU, my car has been at 900rpm. The low idle has disappeared. I also cleaned the snot outta my engine bay this weekend. Not sure if that does anything but I am happy with the results.
"snot"?

Are you referring to the carbon build up that is common in the upper intake manifold of most cars?

Cleaning that out will make a big difference with the way most cars idle.
Old 03-22-03, 08:33 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Hey I also got a tip from my Lexus dealer on this. He said replacing my 98 GS400 with a 03 GS430 with ML and Navigation will fix the TPS problem .
Yeah, I think that same guy must work here at Lexus of Austin because he said the leak in my sunroof could be fixed by replacing my '95 SC400 with a 2002 SC430 because it doesn't have a sunroof.
Old 03-22-03, 08:36 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Getting the whole throttle body replace soon

Originally posted by BananaGS
Lexus is ordering the part now. When they put the new throttle body in my car, I will update again.

Also, the throttle adjusting cable seems to work very well, at least I don't see low idle happen very often anymore I think it's good for a temp fix until I try out my new throttle body (only happen on me 2 times, in 2 weeks, that is great improvement, normally, I see it everyday.)

On another notes, Lexus of Austin is the greatest I came by yesterday and told them I think my low idle problem is due to the throttle body, thanks to the unnamed lexus master tech who also read CL. Kaboom, today, my service guy called me and said that they are ordering the part, the replacement will be free of charge.

RacingLuxury, I would try to reset for ECU first (take out the batt for 10min or something), check to make sure that the PVC and all the connection is tightly fit, no possible leak.
Who is your service writer? Robin is mine and she is jotting down the voice mail messages from me of when my car dies on us. This way we can see if there's pattern. Please let me know if this part works for your car as I will then print this thread out and take it to her. This is good news!

Last edited by Jayson; 03-22-03 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-25-03, 05:34 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Question Might as well add my .02 cents worth

My GS4 is a ’99 and I do have the SRT intake with “race” ecu. I bought the car as a CPO and didn’t experience the problem ‘till late last summer or fall, maybe 6 months ago. The low idle became apparent and the car died a couple of times at lights. For the record, ‘cause I want maximum power available at all times, my AC stays off until the temp gets to 80 or so, although I do turn it on occasionally to keep the seals lubricated.

My “temporary” solution was to turn on headlights. It raised the idle and eliminated the stalls – I’ve had no stalls at all until last weekend when it died. After re-starting, I noticed that I’d forgotten to turn the lights back on after cleaning the car. Lights back on – idle up – no stall. I’ve not presented the problem to my dealer since right now it’s not an issue. Yes, I know it isn’t right and if I have reason to bring the car in for other warranty work, I will note it. I wish I had more confidence that they can fix it.

A final note – I drove my ’92 SC400 for 9 years and never had an idle problem – in fact, when I sold it, it was still idling more smoothly than my GS did on day one.

My .02 cents worth.
Old 03-25-03, 07:37 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Talking

ha ha, a whole brand new throttle body, the works, and still have LOW idle
the only fix that work for me is to increase the throttle cable tension just a bit. I ran out of thing to change out, everything on the intake way as been changed.

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-25-03 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-25-03, 09:15 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

banana,

did you ever have the chance to try changing out or cleaning the MAF?

QUESTION FOR ANYONE: FOR THOSE WHO BOUGHT THE GS400 BRAND NEW BACK IN THE DAYS, WHAT WAS THE IDLE SPEED? WAS IT ALWAYS 400 RPM? OR WAS IT AROUND 600?

i got mine used, so i've only seen 400.
Old 03-26-03, 02:27 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

guys i am no tech guru but my friend and i who both have 98 and 99 gs 400 both have the same problem and we live across the street from each other
heres our assessment

again we are not tech gurus

since turning on a/c advances timing therefore tells engine to increase idle to cover the compressor ,hence perfect idle

since turning on lights , even park light will do increases load on charging system telling computer to increase idle to compensate , hence perfect idle

conclusion to us is with the VVTI technology there must be a software problem ( better known as a hole in the mapping )seeing that this tech has yhe engine constantly remapping valve and timing for optimum performance so at idle in drive with no load on system , computer might restrict air in reatarding timing /or advance seeing it as optimum range for sitting still so idle drops.What i have noticed when my idle drops and i jump on the highway for 15-30 min running hard and exit , my idle returns to normal and does not drop again for the rest of the drive. could it be the computer remapped VVTI for the hard run on hwy and thus corrected or perfected correct mixture hence perfect idle

i dunno again i am no ace but just looking at this realistically.

albeit Lexus knows the fix which is just changing or reprogramming ecu main but does not want to go that route because of the cost involved.

again just my .1cents
Old 03-26-03, 02:53 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with your theory lexforlife, but why does it do it only when the car is in Drive, and not in Neutral?
Old 03-26-03, 03:18 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

in neutral there is no load on the engine so computer has no real adjustment to make to compensate for load
Old 03-26-03, 05:55 PM
GS4xDT
Driver School Candidate

Ok I just got done reading all 6 pages of this thread... and it seems to me this problem is only affecting the 98-99 GS4's? I ask because I might buy a GS400 soon and if this problem only seems to be affecting the 98-99s, I might as well get a yr. 2000 model. Thanks.

Quick Reply: How many people here have the low idle problem? please show count