Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you have the intermitent low idle problem (400 rpm) in Drive, at stop light?
Yes and it's pissing me off, the car shakes/dies on me a couple of times already
54.90%
No, lucky me
39.87%
what is low idle
5.23%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

How many people here have the low idle problem? please show count

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 08:19 AM
erayd8
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can put me on the list exact issues.
Old 03-28-05, 12:35 PM
erayd8
Driver School Candidate

you can put me on the list. as a matter of fact, i'm taking my car to the dealer today for that exact problem. months ago, it had rough idle and now it stalls.
Old 03-29-05, 01:20 PM
erayd8
Driver School Candidate

My car is in the dealership for this problem now. I've noticed the low idle for a long time now, but never bothered the car or me. I thought it was normal since there were no vibrations or anything obviously wrong since it would idle normall after it finds itself. Well, it finally stalled on me during deceleration to 40mph. Not once, not twice but 4 times these past couple of days.

I brought my car to the dealership and they are int he process of changing the entire throttle body assembly. I'll see if this will work. BTW before they decided to do this, they suggested that I re-install the original air filter box. I told them that I've had this intake system (SRT w/ ecu) for over 4 years and it has not created any problems for me. If it was the root cause of this, it would've happened alot sooner than 4 years.

Reading other posts, many owners have changed many things to try and fix this sort of problem but are not successful.. Lucky for me, all of these things are covered by warranty. Can you believe I have a 1999 car w/ 92k miles on it and I've owned it for over 6 years and not have spent any $$$$$ for repairs (parts and labor)? To me, that is INCREDIBLE!!!
Old 04-04-05, 08:50 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the low idle problem in my gs right now. It hasn't stalled.

My previous car, a 98 Ford Taurus SHO, had this same problem. The low idle only appeared when it was hot. I replaced the TPS sensor and it still had the low idle/stalling issue.
My mechanic who was really good with SHOs found the problem. The rear bank of the engine, where the wires for the coil packs were routed, was not properly insulated. The wires from the coils would sit on top of valve cover and eventually start shorting out/heating up. Once he insulated the wires and I replaced the rear 4 ignition coils, the car idled so smooth.

Before I even fixed the problem, I had to turn the ac on to keep the car from stalling.

I'm notsure if this could possibly apply to the GS, but it could open a new door.

-Fernando
Old 04-04-05, 10:15 AM
erayd8
Driver School Candidate

Default Low idle and stall

I got my car back from the dealer and they change the entire throttle body assembly and tps. All symptoms are fixed under warranty
Old 09-12-05, 09:39 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem with my 1994 SC400 but was able to fix it myself this weekend. I had read about K&N air filters causing problems with the MAF sensor so this is what I suspected was happening with mine. I removed the filter element, air flow ECU and accordion hose. Then sprayed lots and lots of electrical parts cleaner in all openings. Noticed quite a bit of small dirt particles mixed in with the cleaner fluid as it flowed down to the bottom of the filter housing. Then removed the EFI fuse to let everything reset, then put in back in.

The car then started on the first try, idled perfectly and now runs better than ever.