Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Added K&N intake...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-03 | 01:19 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Good job Bit!

A resolution to the factors you mentioned.

Wait a sec...where is the MAS? Oh, I see it. Keep us posted!

Last edited by ///MDex; 03-24-03 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-24-03 | 02:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Dex
Good job Bit!
Thumbs up to you too - during the install I looked at your throttle body cleaning pics and did that too. I didn't have that cleaning fluid but was able to wipe a bunch of crud off the edge of the swinging circular thingy (butterfly valve?) and around it anyway.
Old 03-24-03 | 04:58 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

The K&N intake looks awesome! I have been contemplating the SRT/ECU bundle but after hearing about the non-CARB certification as well as other complaints, I am hesitant.

So do you have to put the pedal to the medal to actually "hear" the K&N intake? I was kind of hoping for some around-the-town volume?
Old 03-24-03 | 06:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Synergy
So do you have to put the pedal to the medal to actually "hear" the K&N intake? I was kind of hoping for some around-the-town volume?
It's slightly louder in part throttle but you don't get the real growl until the rpms climb, probably not until 3500+.
Old 03-25-03 | 07:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Update: After driving the car for a couple of days, I'd say the car is slightly LESS responsive with the intake. Not significant, but that's my impression. Regardless, I LOVE the sound and the look of the intake, so I don't intend to take it off.
Old 03-26-03 | 07:52 AM
kvoman
Driver

Bit -

When you installed the K&N kit, did you disconnect the battery so the computer could rest and adjust the air/fuel mixture with the new filter? If you didn't, that may explain the slight drop in performance since the computer is still trying to use the old air/fuel mixture based on the old air volume vs. the new more available air volume from the new filter.

After you disconnect the battery, it'll take the computer about a day of normal driving to adjust the new air/fuel mixture. The shift points will also be a little higher than normal at first but that will also come back to normal after a day or so.
Old 03-26-03 | 10:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by kvoman
When you installed the K&N kit, did you disconnect the battery so the computer could rest and adjust the air/fuel mixture with the new filter?
Yes, thanks for asking. The instructions state this right up front (disconnect neg. terminal).

After you disconnect the battery, it'll take the computer about a day of normal driving to adjust the new air/fuel mixture. The shift points will also be a little higher than normal at first but that will also come back to normal after a day or so.
It may be just a question of driving the car a bit more since I drive so little (20 mi. per day in the week and almost nothing on weekends).
Old 03-26-03 | 08:54 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

nice job, bit!! I noticed that you removed the stock plastic airflow piece that directs air to the left side of the engine bay. Would it not fit with this FIPK kit?? Only reason I ask is that I noticed alot of folks that get the SRT setup usually leave that piece on. Who knows, maybe it could help help direct fresh cool air??

BTW, I put this kit on my old Expedition, so I can identify with the somewhat "mushy" feel under acceleration.
Old 03-26-03 | 09:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ebruceii
nice job, bit!! I noticed that you removed the stock plastic airflow piece that directs air to the left side of the engine bay. Would it not fit with this FIPK kit?? Only reason I ask is that I noticed alot of folks that get the SRT setup usually leave that piece on. Who knows, maybe it could help help direct fresh cool air??
No, you can't leave it on. No room. It looks like the SRT angles away from the throttle body more abruptly at more of a diagonal angle to where the filter goes which is why perhaps it still provides room to have the stock airflow piece on. But I don't see that it would be much use since the heat shield is still in the way.

BTW, I put this kit on my old Expedition, so I can identify with the somewhat "mushy" feel under acceleration.
Could all be in my head, but I sense the car is getting more responsive again...

And I *LOVE* the sound.
Old 03-28-03 | 08:47 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Not that it really matters to me since I'm in GA like Bit, but I just got my SRT/ecu intake in yesterday and mine has the carb sticker on it. According to what I've read in the instructions, it is on the shield. I will verify.
Old 03-28-03 | 10:14 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Not that it really matters to me since I'm in GA like Bit, but I just got my SRT/ecu intake in yesterday and mine has the carb sticker on it. According to what I've read in the instructions, it is on the shield. I will verify.
The SRT system I installed this week had the CARB sticker loose in the box. The instructions said to place the sticker on the heat shield.
Old 03-28-03 | 10:28 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by tomtnc
The SRT system I installed this week had the CARB sticker loose in the box. The instructions said to place the sticker on the heat shield.
That's what I thought I had read in the manual. I will verify if mine has it too when I get back to the house.
Old 03-28-03 | 10:49 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Hmmmm, I did not think the SRT was CARB certified which is why I was going to go with the K&N FIPK. I'll have to re-examine intake options when the time comes.
Old 03-28-03 | 11:18 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Exclamation

Are we sure that this is clearly the case? Is SRT really CARB certified? Maybe the intake is but the ECU might be a different story?
???
Old 03-31-03 | 01:13 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Synergy
Are we sure that this is clearly the case? Is SRT really CARB certified? Maybe the intake is but the ECU might be a different story?
My manual said that the SRT intake comes with a CARB certified sticker. I didn't find one with all the popcorn loose in the box, but it clearly says that if not included to call SRT for a replacement.

The ecu piggy back is concealed inside the ecu box. Unless you take the two 10mm bolts off and open the case, you can't see from the outside at all.

Quick Reply: Added K&N intake...