Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ls1 or 3uzfe is one better then the other?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 10:52 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ls1 or 3uzfe is one better then the other?

I have been doing some reading... And came to the conclusion that a unmodified ls1/ls2 swap is around, and maybe more money then to modify a 1uz/3uz engine with standalone included.

I was thinking and did some reading on some forums and was told you could make great NA power with cams, and a port and polish with a 1uz 3uz engine, i know there is no replacement for displacement but i feel as if the toyota v8 was designed alot better.

I have been stuck between the 2 and i wouldnt want to rip out my engine for something that might only make a couple hundred more horsepower in the long run. I know its expensive to mod the 1uz but im sure it has lots of potential..

I have found some videos with the 1uz making some crazy power and some even sound like an ls1
Old 06-07-15, 09:56 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

have you looked into modding the ls1? power for pretty cheap. mods for the UZ motors seem to be pretty expensive.
Old 06-07-15, 02:24 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marshun
have you looked into modding the ls1? power for pretty cheap. mods for the UZ motors seem to be pretty expensive.
This ^ Not only that, but hard to find if you're looking for more than just an intake/header/exhaust ($10K for the SRT supercharger is ridiculous, not to mention their track record is below sub-par... every other company that created a super/turbocharger setup has long since discontinued production). Also, I haven't found any information on any company that makes cams for it. Another thing is that you can make power just by swapping parts from other LS-series engines. I should add that going manual would be easier than doing so on a 3UZ, plus they get great gas mileage as well. The only thing I could possibly think that the UZ has over the LS would be reliability, but I haven't researched that aspect of the LS so even that could be equal.
Old 06-07-15, 07:50 PM
Gonoshow
Driver School Candidate

I guess it comes down what you want to do with the car. It wasn't that long ago that it was redneck to put a sbc in a import now it seams it is all the rage, maybe that's what's cool nowadays. Me personally I like a challenge, and my gs4 will have a Japanese power plant but I do not need a sub 12 second car. If that was my expectation it would be Toyota motor that does it, if not possible I would drop a 4 rotor wankel in it before a GM motor ever graced my engine bay.
Old 06-07-15, 09:23 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default more power

I spoke with the guys at kelford cams about getting some for my 2002 3uz. He said they would take some stock cams and weld them up than regrind them to whatever specs. you want. or just go off of their proven specs. based off of experience. if you go to their website they have been doing Toyota v8s along time and these guys are the only ones I would buy cams from. they have a particular set of cams for our engines that are guaranteed to put out a little over 400 hp as long as you have intake and some headers and better exhaust. they said the variable valve timing isn't an issue and their familiar with what is the limit. they quoted me 1200 which is a steal for four camshafts. now if you go with the high lift and duration camshafts than you have to upgrade the springs and shims but no biggie with some simple tools and a little more money. based off of all the info. I've read about our 3uz cylinder heads their already true performers from the factory so porting them would be a waste when you could just cam it out and get with it.
Old 06-08-15, 06:08 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Huuummmmm interesting.
Thanks for the heads up badblack,..
I found this on their website:
http://www.camshaftshop.com/products.php?categoryid=69

Looks like this set is the only one without needed the ECU to be modified (standalone?)
http://www.camshaftshop.com/products.php?productid=992

Anyone know the stock cam specs?
Old 06-08-15, 06:52 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LS swaps are usually the way to go if you want power. Some times it doesn't always have to be an LS1 engine, you can get the LM/LQ complete engine out of a truck and still make the same amount of power with mods. The Iron blocks are a little heavier but they are cheap as fawk.... A stock LQ9 Makes 386 hp/396 tq stock (to the wheels) so imagine a cam, tune, LS heads and intake....

My friend and I built a Stroker LQ9 for is Pontiac G8 that made 475 hp/449 tq on street mods and that was before he went turbo. That engine still somehow managed to get 28mpg on the highway too
Old 06-08-15, 06:53 AM
EITELS123
Rookie

You might rethink that camshaftshop. I believe those are for the pre VVT engines.
Old 06-08-15, 07:59 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default kelford cams

I wouldn't speak of cams for a 3uz being upgraded unless I was sure I spoke with the guy at kelford cams and confirmed that they were offering cam upgrades for 98+ vvti engines. They are very familiar with our platforms.
Old 06-08-15, 01:25 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kelford were the cams i was looking at. Theres a video of one on youtube in a sc400. Im looking at NA power and reliability is a big thing, i have had some bad experiences with american engines and from what i read Some of the ls engines have cooling problems and was told by multiple people, any lightly modded ls engine is unreliable when beat on if you dont upgrade the timing chain head bolts lifters valves ect ect.. Also the 3uz rods are forged from factory so a mild NA setup in my mind would be reliable...
Old 06-08-15, 06:21 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

I absolutely agree. it seems that going thru all the trouble of swapping an all aluminum 6.0 l series engine from like a 2008 Tahoe hybrid plus engine mounts, trans issues, fuel issues, it just seems like so much. and once its all done its no longer a lexus. it clearly is only a money issue when it comes to modding these engines. the reliability is stellar and can never be touched by any other manufacturer. hands down. but yes, when you start screwing with the original design the Japanese engineers spent years perfecting and refining, than be prepared for problems. its just up to you if you have the time and money to figure them out. were in the same boat my friend. I spend every night playing on my computer reading about ways to extract more power from these engines. a super charger or turbo is obviously the best way but im personally a huge fan of n/a power and how strong it comes on when setup correctly. If your not gonna bore and stroke out the motor than get more air and fuel flowing thru it. and that is where the cams come in. if I know me, ill probably wind up getting some kelford cams with a semi aggressive profile with a nice lope and some stiffer valve springs to slam those valves closed quicker and spin some higher rpms if the comp. will allow it.
Old 06-08-15, 06:27 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Ok just got word back from Kiel Rasmussen at kelford cams in New Zealand. I explained to him I wanted street cams for the 2002 gs430 EMPHASISING that the engine has vvti. he stated the best would be the 207C type grind. hes recommending DLC coated buckets for the spings. hes saying they will run 2200 us dollars. pricey but would be totally frickin' worth it.
Old 06-08-15, 10:52 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

So first it was 1200 and now it's 2200?? What exactly changed from the first quote they gave you to raise the price that much?
Old 06-09-15, 06:56 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

idunno man. i understand keeping it toyota/lexus and whatever. but the ls motors are undeniable.

like someone else said, its really what you want to build.
Old 06-09-15, 11:20 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

supply and demand maybe? lol

Quick Reply: ls1 or 3uzfe is one better then the other?