Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Heat Wrap Afe Intake Is350.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 11:38 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Also catch can the crank vent valve so you're not sucking oil air back into your intake.
Old 06-15-15, 12:39 PM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked into doing this a while ago, but I thought I read that the intake pipe gets more heat from contact with the intake manifold, then from the hot air in the engine bay. Therefore wrapping the pipe actually helps seal the heat in and theoretically hinders performance. Therefore i didn't do it. My memory is a little foggy though. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by tomiv9; 06-15-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 01:35 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

That would be some impressive heat transference. The only contact between the 2 is a rubber grommet.
Old 06-15-15, 02:09 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by badx33
What if you ceramic coat the intake tube. Like what they do to the PPE Headers to trap heat inside. After use you can tell that the heat from the header is not as bad as a header without that coating.. Maybe this would help in keeping the temp inside the intake tube low. Just a thinking out loud..
Good point. Filter still feel hot,!warm because bottom is not all cover all around like stock air box. So I put another piece of black plastic under filter.
Old 06-15-15, 02:31 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First, any performance increases/decreases by wrapping the intake tube will be negligeable.

Second, there is a difference between the header heat wrap that the OP used and reflective tape. The applications are completely different. Header heat wrap (and ceramic coatings) is used to keep hot gases within the exhaust and not transfer hot gases out. It actually speeds up the flow of gas by making it less dense and in turn, produces increased performance. In the case of putting it on an intake tube, heat actually does "soak" into the wrap and in theory, will raise the temps of the air within the intake. In actuality, this really will not occur b/c the air within the intake is moving so quickly while the car is in motion that the effect is once again negligible. Exhaust wrap will also degrade the intake over time if it is made of metal due to moisture being trapped in the wrap.

What you really want to use is heat reflective tape to prevent the hot air from contacting the tube. Again, this is quite useless.
Old 06-15-15, 03:14 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
First, any performance increases/decreases by wrapping the intake tube will be negligeable.

Second, there is a difference between the header heat wrap that the OP used and reflective tape. The applications are completely different. Header heat wrap (and ceramic coatings) is used to keep hot gases within the exhaust and not transfer hot gases out. It actually speeds up the flow of gas by making it less dense and in turn, produces increased performance. In the case of putting it on an intake tube, heat actually does "soak" into the wrap and in theory, will raise the temps of the air within the intake. In actuality, this really will not occur b/c the air within the intake is moving so quickly while the car is in motion that the effect is once again negligible. Exhaust wrap will also degrade the intake over time if it is made of metal due to moisture being trapped in the wrap.

What you really want to use is heat reflective tape to prevent the hot air from contacting the tube. Again, this is quite useless.
Thank for information. Will try heat reflective tap next.
Old 06-16-15, 02:12 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VTsuckah

Bahhaa, Clearly he didnt read anyone's replies to the post. Just wanted to flex his brain muscles. Also highly entertained by the use of the word negligeable (negligible). So you think that someone should just not even attempt something like this because they are not netting 5-10hp? I think if he wants to wrap his intake for a drop of 3 degrees or an increase of .6hp then awesome. Do 5 mods like that and he has 3 more ponies than you or I. I'm all for it. There is a disease in these forums of where guys look down upon the idea of $50 mods that can support another mod's power increase, improve efficiency or increase longevity BUT they are all about dropping $1000+ on headers that claim to add 16whp.
Old 06-16-15, 02:35 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

I will try anything that work. PPE Header is definite on my list. If you can get good seal and block off hot air like stock air box it will work.

My opinion if header wrap keep heat in. It might keep heat out of intake pipe.
Old 06-16-15, 07:40 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Bahhaa, Clearly he didnt read anyone's replies to the post. Just wanted to flex his brain muscles. Also highly entertained by the use of the word negligeable (negligible). So you think that someone should just not even attempt something like this because they are not netting 5-10hp? I think if he wants to wrap his intake for a drop of 3 degrees or an increase of .6hp then awesome. Do 5 mods like that and he has 3 more ponies than you or I. I'm all for it. There is a disease in these forums of where guys look down upon the idea of $50 mods that can support another mod's power increase, improve efficiency or increase longevity BUT they are all about dropping $1000+ on headers that claim to add 16whp.
Lol. Yeah, my brain does have a good pump going and I fed it some whey protein afterwards. I used negligible twice, one of which was misspelled. Thanks for pointing that out for me, bud.

I do agree with you in that people should be applauded for trying something new and somewhat outside the box. However, I'm a proponent of performing a bit of research prior to modding, which seems to be lacking in this forum as of late. $50 may not be a lot of money for some, but once you spend $50 here....$50 there...it builds up and before you know it, you have enough to buy a sway bar. You could have spent the cash on something that provided noticeable performance benefits. Just my 2 cents.