Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

First impressions on PI TC, SRT intake, rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 02:01 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First impressions on PI TC, SRT intake, rotors...

I know that this has been talked to death really, but I have seen a lot of "new" threads asking about opinions on these mods. So here it goes:

I installed the PI TC, SRT intake/ecu, and Bradi slotted/drilled rotors on saturday. The install was not too bad, except for an oem tranny line that didn't want to go in after the tranny was being put back. Oh well... Anyway, the install was not that bad on any of the three. I adjusted the emergency brake a little, which I then found to be too much and had a really really hard time getting my brand new rotor off to loosen . The SRT intake and ecu was a breeze, except for I didn't notice that I put the MAF back in backwards, thereby not letting the car idle. Took a minute to troubleshoot, but got back on the road in no time. The ecu was easy and I soldered all the connections as indicated and got no dreaded CEL's.....

As for butt dyno impressions:

The TC does make a huge difference. Don't know if it's the full second that others have claimed, but it does make a very noticeable difference when you jump on it. Speaking of Jumping.....WOW! is all I can say about the sound of the intake @WOT. I had rode in 1Sicklex's car once and it sounded like that, but I had forgotten the sound. The first time I jumped on it, it sounded like a Holley 750 double pumper opening up. It is definetly not for someone who wants quiet. It is very very noticeable sound. As for performance.....I noticed a little on the top end. Nothing to really write home about, but I'm hoping that as others have reported on here that the ecu has to "learn" the new intake and it really shows gains after a few days. We'll see. The rotors are as expected, a little noisier when coming to a stop (the slots and the holes make it sound cheese gradish) but not anything major. The stopping is improved but not anything major either.

In conclusion:

1. The TC- Very noticeable improvement. Not a hard install, but need a lift and good tools to do. I'll be able to tell exact amount of improvement on Fri. when I go back to the track. Butt dyno says----Thumbs Up.

2. The intake/ecu- No major improvement noticed right away. Very easy to install. Very very loud over stock. Very good IMO, but it's definetly not for everyone (sound). Butt dyno says----Will reserve opinion until I run it at the track.

3. The rotors- Some noticeable improvement. A little more noisy, but not bad at all. Install is very easy as long as you don't play with the e-brake . Opinion----Thumbs up if not for looks alone.
Old 03-31-03, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Big congrats on the upgrades. Glad you love the TC too.

I contemplated the SRT intake (a lot) but in the end I went for the K&N one for half the price. One big difference it seems is that the K&N intake is definitely not loud at all until the car gets to about 4000rpm at WOT - then it sounds just plain awesome. I recall the SRT is a bit louder starting at a lower rpm level, but I might be wrong there. Anyway, we can compare intake noise at the next meet maybe.

Again, congrats.

I got new shoes for my car today... (shhh)
Old 04-01-03, 07:42 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, the intake is definetly loud, but I like it. I'm going to the track Fri night and I'll see exactly what kind of gains I get since I went a couple of weeks ago when the car was still stock.

I saw a K&N FIPK intake on ebay about a month ago for our cars. I really thought about it but decided I wanted the piggy back ecu. So far, I don't notice a big change (aside from the sound), but we'll see at the track to measure exactly.
Old 04-04-03, 02:01 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

hey, check back here and let us know if you think the piggyback makes for a difference over time
Old 04-05-03, 07:21 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bravo261
hey, check back here and let us know if you think the piggyback makes for a difference over time
Look a few threads up. I just happened to post my numbers from the track AFTER the mods.

Sorry, I didn't see your response before posting it.