Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installed HKS Exhaust today

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-03, 12:10 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed HKS Exhaust today

I just got done installing the HKS exhaust for my GS3 and I have to say that this exhaust is LOUD..........a little too loud for my taste. So I ask you is there any way to quiet this exhaust down? I like the look of the exhaust and dont really want to install and buy a different exhaust that will be quieter , just want to know if there is anything i can do to quiet it down. I have heard people talking about baffles or something, does anyone know if this works, if it will work with the hks exhaust and how to install it if there is such a thing. Please help me quiet this exhaust down thanks, rich
Old 04-04-03, 01:56 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HKS is a very nice exhaust but it is not too loud compared to other aftermarket exhaust out there. I currently have the HKS and I think it's one of the best exhaust I haved so far. The Blitz NA Exhaust looks nice but it was way too loud. A lot of droning noise and you can really hear it inside the car. Plus, you loose a lot of low-end hp but you can feel if when you punch it. I then swapped it w/ the Borla, the Borla is nice, very little droning but that's it. Not sure about any gain or not. Then comes the HKS Power Extreme. The HKS sound level falls inbetween the Blitz and Borla. But the droning sound level is the same as the Borla. You do not loose low-end hp which I think is big plus. Anyways, try searching for a silencer for the exhaust, that's the only guess I have. Good luck and congrats on your new exhaust.
Old 04-04-03, 02:36 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Question silencer?

does certain aftermarket co. make silencers for exhausts? My friend had a tanabe exhaust..it was for a celica..but it had one
Old 04-04-03, 03:12 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

cong28 thanks for the advice on the silencers. Any idea where to look for one? I have checked several of the bigger websites for something along the lines of the silencer but no luck. I am going to email the HKS company next week and see if they have any suggestions. The noise inside the cabin is quite a bit more than stock but once I put a few layers of dynamat down the noise from the exhaust should be marginal. I dont have the PE though I have the hiper or hi power. Do you think there is a difference in the two? I am planning on installing the WIN kit soon so that will go along better with the exhaust. I will update if I find anything to quiet the exhaust down just a bit.
Old 04-04-03, 04:01 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

Did I say Power Extreme, I ment to say Hiper I was thinking about the Greddy Power Extreme. Anyways, HKS does not make a silencer for our exhaust. Look for an aftermarket company that makes silencer and see if it fits the HKS exhaust, other then that, I have no clue to start looking but the web.
Old 04-04-03, 04:24 PM
JWgs430
Rookie

hks does make silencers for the hiper exhaust. i put two on and the sound went down significantly, but i have a gs430. the v8 may have a different exhaust tone.
Old 04-04-03, 06:30 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

I could have swear HKS told me they didn't make them...oh well, you got your answer. By the way, how much did it cost for the silencers?
Old 04-04-03, 10:25 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I had some friends come over to give me their opinion and while one of my friends revved the engine I was outside listening and it was not loud at all outside, but inside it is extremely loud. I actually love the tone it has outside the car so I guess now its time to do the system and install all the dynamat to make it quieter. Im not going to install silencers now because this exhaust sounds MEAN . I am EXTREMELY happy with this exhaust. I am so glad I didnt go with any other exhaust because I think this exhaust is the total package . thanks for the help guys

rich
Old 04-04-03, 10:40 PM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HKS does make silencers, here is the link to them

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1364

With the HKS Hiper exhaust for the GS you can use either one of the 120mm silencers.

I have had the HKS Hiper on my GS400 and it was perfect the way it comes. When I had it on my GS300 it was good too, but did have a bit of a drone in the 2500-3100 rpm range. The silencer will reduce it quite a lot. If you keep the stereo up or just keep the car cruising at above 3000, its fine. If I get a chance I will try to get a sound clip of it with the silencers.

Will
Old 04-04-03, 10:51 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

How long have you guys had the hks installed on your cars? Have you ever had a problem with the exhaust? I listened to the exhaust again tonight and I love it even more. Its a beautiful sound.
Old 04-04-03, 10:58 PM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had a problem with my HKS Exhaust. I had the exhaust for 2 years and 2 GS's before I sold it with the last GS. I will probably be putting it on my current GS, but may be going with another HKS system that is more spec'd for turbo.

Will