Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 11:52 PM
matttev
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see you guys talking about fuel. Do you guys recommend anything other than 91 octane for a 2017 with a stage 2 tune?
Old 01-13-18, 05:20 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by matttev
I see you guys talking about fuel. Do you guys recommend anything other than 91 octane for a 2017 with a stage 2 tune?
93 or true race gas. I would not use e85 or mixtures as it requires more fuel. On the subject of the exhaust ports. The Honda motors went to the integrated manifold back in mid 2000’s on the v-6’s and a bit later on the 4 cylinders. Toyota also have done this on the new 2GR (2GR-FKS) this motor is in the new Camry, Tacoma, RX and GS. A turbocharged version will come in the LS500 likely designated 2GR-FTS. Interestingly the FKS has not found its way into the RC or IS.
The following 3 users liked this post by loophole35:
matttev (01-14-18), PATCHEZ (01-13-18), Sheddy (01-13-18)
Old 01-13-18, 08:11 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Doing a tune up before the dyno tune on Monday. Decided to change the plugs since I’m at 34k .

Old 01-13-18, 08:31 AM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Is it stage two or stage two+? If it’s stage two then I’d use 91-93 oct. don’t use race gas, 100-110 would be overkill and if the ecu isn’t adjusted for it then it would just be a waste of race gas and money. If you have stage two plus then advise tony’ the tuner, he announced we could use ethanol mixtures if we changed spark plugs
Old 01-14-18, 10:56 AM
matttev
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS200TFOWL
Is it stage two or stage two+? If it’s stage two then I’d use 91-93 oct. don’t use race gas, 100-110 would be overkill and if the ecu isn’t adjusted for it then it would just be a waste of race gas and money. If you have stage two plus then advise tony’ the tuner, he announced we could use ethanol mixtures if we changed spark plugs
Stage 2. Using 91 right now. Not sure where to get 93 tbh
Old 01-14-18, 11:57 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Once you inform Tony about your premium fuel type (91 & 93 oct) he will adjust the settings accordingly.
The following users liked this post:
matttev (01-14-18)
Old 01-14-18, 04:10 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

In California, we only get 91/pisswater because of emissions unfortunately.
matttev (01-14-18)
Old 01-14-18, 05:50 PM
matttev
Rookie

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
In California, we only get 91/pisswater because of emissions unfortunately.
That's unfortunate
Old 01-15-18, 08:51 AM
PATCHEZ
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck on the dyno sheddy
Sheddy (01-15-18)
Old 01-15-18, 01:07 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Today’s dyno tune didn’t go as expected since it was more of a learning session. This is the first IS200t that he is tuning and we found out that there’s a lot of factory ECU limitations which prevents us for making more power and torque. We started off with a baseline run- 230whp 232wtq and the best for the day was 236whp 250wtq. The reason why BMS makes so much more torque and mid-range power is due to the fact that it fools the ECU, so those limitations are pretty much bypassed. We ran out of time on the dyno to further tune, so he will be heading back to Puerto Rico and he will try to do more testing on a local 200t before we do any more work.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Sheddy:
Nuke (01-15-18), TTITony (01-16-18)
Old 01-15-18, 03:14 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sheddy
Today’s dyno tune didn’t go as expected since it was more of a learning session. This is the first IS200t that he is tuning and we found out that there’s a lot of factory ECU limitations which prevents us for making more power and torque. We started off with a baseline run- 230whp 232wtq and the best for the day was 236whp 250wtq. The reason why BMS makes so much more torque and mid-range power is due to the fact that it fools the ECU, so those limitations are pretty much bypassed. We ran out of time on the dyno to further tune, so he will be heading back to Puerto Rico and he will try to do more testing on a local 200t before we do any more work.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Well that’s still good seeing he could atleast do something. I think it’s all about r&d you’ll need hours on the dyno. I really feel like you need a catted downpipe like you said our platform favors back pressure. Your tq is really low even for a stock tune it’s already around 245wtq, under rated at 280crank. How many dyno runs did you do?

Last edited by IS200TFOWL; 01-15-18 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 03:54 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS200TFOWL
Well that’s still good seeing he could atleast do something. I think it’s all about r&d you’ll need hours on the dyno. I really feel like you need a catted downpipe like you said our platform favors back pressure. Your tq is really low even for a stock tune it’s already around 245wtq, under rated at 280crank. How many dyno runs did you do?
With this tuning program it definitely needs time for R&D since the tables don't have any definite values . The boost table just has a bunch of numbers with no actual value such as psi or bar, so its hard to figure out what to add (kudos to Tony and TTi). He adjusted the fuel at certain areas, but then we were faced with another table that will re-adjust the changes, so in all theres a lot of protection/limitation on the stock ECU that avoids you from really getting those parameters locked in. With a bit more time and research he will be able to figure out the tables and then we will try it again. We had 3 hours on the dyno and made around 5-6 passes since most of the time was spent figuring out the tables and then writing the file. I did see a drop in torque with the de-catted down pipe, but it did pick up some power up top, also if you look at the runs they were all done at a higher rpm and our car makes peak torque really early in the rpm range. We did have a discussion that if we are unable to find a way around the limitations or get a better tuning program we will then try to do a custom tune with the BMS since it makes a lot of wtq and we will adjust the a/f ratio up top to help with peak whp.
Old 01-15-18, 07:24 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sheddy
With this tuning program it definitely needs time for R&D since the tables don't have any definite values . The boost table just has a bunch of numbers with no actual value such as psi or bar, so its hard to figure out what to add (kudos to Tony and TTi). He adjusted the fuel at certain areas, but then we were faced with another table that will re-adjust the changes, so in all theres a lot of protection/limitation on the stock ECU that avoids you from really getting those parameters locked in. With a bit more time and research he will be able to figure out the tables and then we will try it again. We had 3 hours on the dyno and made around 5-6 passes since most of the time was spent figuring out the tables and then writing the file. I did see a drop in torque with the de-catted down pipe, but it did pick up some power up top, also if you look at the runs they were all done at a higher rpm and our car makes peak torque really early in the rpm range. We did have a discussion that if we are unable to find a way around the limitations or get a better tuning program we will then try to do a custom tune with the BMS since it makes a lot of wtq and we will adjust the a/f ratio up top to help with peak whp.
Yeah it sounds like your tuner just needs to become more comfortable tuning your car. When I hit the dyno I could do 10 runs in 30 minutes so you guys definitely took your time. I’ve watched tuners tune maps in less than 5 minutes in between each dyno. Sometimes tuners think they’ve gotta wait 30 minutes in between each run to let the car cool down but when it comes down to it any gains while it’s hot are going to be even better then it’s cold
Old 01-15-18, 07:28 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

We have two other tuners working on a handheld with they’re shop cars so I’m gonna wait it out. Unless trd spec A comes out tomorrow
Old 01-15-18, 07:34 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

We definitely took our time. He was also requesting maps from the program manufacturer to enable rev limiter and so on, but it didn’t get to us on time. In all it was a learning experience and I only spent $100 for 3 hours at the shop which was good since the tuner doesn’t want to charge me until he sees results.

Quick Reply: IS200t tune