Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-18, 03:31 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

If you’re saying the focus ST/328i can’t hold hold 18psi fbo,ethanol etc. Then we can agree to disagree. If the focus st had a 10.1 compression ratio it would produce 300whp @ 18psi, rather than 275whp @ 9.3 c/r. Now, hope you have a better understanding for compression ratios. After everything is said and done. The biggest question at play is whether the 8AR turbo can hold 18psi fbo/e50, which would produce atleast 300whp. I 1000% believe our turbo can hold 18 psi based off of the performance of similar sized turbos. One thing I’ll mention, if TTI showed 270whp on a dynojet with only 91-93 oct/exhaust then I would consider that to be an aggressive tune however I still think there’s a lot of torque missing

Last edited by IS200TFOWL; 01-30-18 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 03:53 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sheddy
This was posted on a VW forum, about the 1.8t with the K03 turbo.

Post by slimjim8201 » 06 Mar 2008, 00:46

The turbocharger is too small. It cannot move enough air to create much more power than you are already making.

Boost pressure is merely a byproduct of forcing air into the engine. The engine acts like a big restriction in a pipe, the more fluid you force through it, the higher the pressure differential. The engine is becomes less restrictive as the speed rises. If you push the same amount of air through a restriction and gradually reduce the degree of restriction, the pressure differential will decrease as well. This is what you are seeing with your boost pressure response.

The factory engine designed to provide low-medium turbocharging with quick spool characteristics. This turbocharger is perfectly sized to provide the best response for this engine at about 180+ HP. Boost pressure is limited to about 12 psi throughout the rev range to provide an even torque curve, good fuel economy, and component longevity. By allowing the turbo to move the maximum amount of air possible at all engine speeds, you end up with a boost pressure profile (and torque curve) like you have now. You have essentially maximized the performance everywhere for this specific turbo/engine combination. While your peak HP hasn't jumped significantly, the overall area under your torque curve certainly has.

Please don't roast me, but i've said this before as well and still do believe so.
Now there are other factors (other than boost) that would allow us to make more power so that's where we need help.

I am not sure maybe Tony from TTI can give some information about this.
why would you compare a 1.8l to the 2.0l even if it has the same turbo the 2.0t gains would be a lot more than the 1.8l. Also the compression ratios are different in addition to the k03 being a slightly smaller turbo than the 8AR as well as the k03 is a single scroll. To be honest the k03 turbo isn’t even a good comparison to ours.

Last edited by IS200TFOWL; 01-30-18 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 06:24 PM
Ricoo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My interesting dyno results. Content with the numbers, little disappointed with the results. FBO stage2+ & BMS stage 1. constantly hitting 20+psi with the bms stage1. ultimately it tappers down to 15psi where it holds. no significant affect on the top end compared to the other results. do get a little nice whiplash action between 3.5-4k rpms thanks to the bms (i think). 1st run on normal 2nd & 3rd run with sport mode.
The following users liked this post:
Sheddy (01-30-18)
Old 01-30-18, 06:28 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Guys, good job explaining things in layman's terms. I come here occasionally to see the updates. Hope all the mystery gets resolved so I can mod my car. Since i have no clue about Turbo's, I will be the laggard in this endeavor. Again, thanks to all, I enjoy reading this thread. Be civil to one another, we're all on the same team. Cheers!
The following 3 users liked this post by EXE46:
GSiGuy (01-31-18), IS200TFOWL (01-30-18), JoelsLexIS (04-05-18)
Old 01-30-18, 06:37 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ricoo
My interesting dyno results. Content with the numbers, little disappointed with the results. FBO stage2+ & BMS stage 1. constantly hitting 20+psi with the bms stage1. ultimately it tappers down to 15psi where it holds. no significant affect on the top end compared to the other results. do get a little nice whiplash action between 3.5-4k rpms thanks to the bms (i think). 1st run on normal 2nd & 3rd run with sport mode.
nice dyno! I feel like adding the bms stage one ontop of a reflash adds +5wtq in exchange for -5whp
Old 01-30-18, 06:50 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

If Tti put down 260whp on a mustang dyno then it might be 270+whp on a dynojet. 270whp on a dynojet with 93oct and only a full exhaust is definitely credible. I just can’t wait to see it on a dynojet here in the US If Tti could push even 1 psi more that would be everything. If it held 16-17 psi it would probably put down another 10whp giving us somewhere around 280whp on a dynojet. That would be impressive
Old 01-30-18, 07:02 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Thanks for posting your results! What psi do you have the BMS set as? I was able to see 280wtq with just the BMS due to the fact that it bypasses the torque limitations set by the ECU. I think by having both tunes you’re picking up a bit more in the higher rpm range. I did speak to the tuner about getting a re-flash developed for the use of the BMS Stage 1 if we can’t get the limitations fixed.
Old 01-31-18, 06:12 AM
daniellina
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by IS200TFOWL

nice dyno! I feel like adding the bms stage one ontop of a reflash adds +5wtq in exchange for -5whp
That might be truth i did 245whp and around 272-276 wtq.with the stage 2+ almost the same with the stage 2. The most noticeable difference in between the 2 of them is how power is delivered.
Old 01-31-18, 06:56 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by daniellina
That might be truth i did 245whp and around 272-276 wtq.with the stage 2+ almost the same with the stage 2. The most noticeable difference in between the 2 of them is how power is delivered.
If we can get a customized tune to work with the BMS Stage 1 we can try and get a bit more peak WHP by adjusting the AFR. You can see on this graph where the AFR dips into the 10's.

This is an example from when i took my car to get dyno tuned. The tuner leaned out the AFR a bit and it caused an increase in power.

Last edited by Sheddy; 01-31-18 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-31-18, 07:19 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes some leaning out needs to happen at the top end and a little richer on the low end may go a long way to improving the overall performance of this motor.

@Sheddy do you have the torque curve avalible for that dyno above?
Old 01-31-18, 07:27 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by loophole35
Yes some leaning out needs to happen at the top end and a little richer on the low end may go a long way to improving the overall performance of this motor.

@Sheddy do you have the torque curve avalible for that dyno above?
Unfortunately i don't have the torque curve results for these runs since we were having issues with the torque limitation tables on the program. The tuner was upset that he couldn't get good results that he even deleted the DRF files from the computer.

EDIT- This was one of the few pictures i took. The results bar is blocking the torque curves.

Last edited by Sheddy; 01-31-18 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-31-18, 08:32 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

That's unfortunate. Was this all done at stock boost settings?

Also I'm curious about the extremely lean AFR's our cars have till 5K. I wonder if that is actually due to the VVTi system dialing in overlap?
Old 01-31-18, 09:08 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

That's unfortunate. Was this all done at stock boost settings?

Also I'm curious about the extremely lean AFR's our cars have till 5K. I wonder if that is actually due to the VVTi system dialing in overlap?
I believed he made a very very minor adjustment to boost resulting in torque increase, but he was more concerned with the torque limiter and AFR tables.

This was on the stock tune and you're right about the car running super lean till around 5k. Our engine's VVT-iW system is unique since it uses VVT-I on the exhaust side, so i am guessing that when its engaged we should see an increase in boost pressure.

Old 01-31-18, 09:20 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sheddy
I believed he made a very very minor adjustment to boost resulting in torque increase, but he was more concerned with the torque limiter and AFR tables.

This was on the stock tune and you're right about the car running super lean till around 5k. Our engine's VVT-iW system is unique since it uses VVT-I on the exhaust side, so i am guessing that when its engaged we should see an increase in boost pressure.

*SNIP*
Dual VVTi is nothing new the 1,2,3GR all had it along with 1.2UR and I think 1,2ZZ had it as well. What is new with our motor and the 2GR-FKS is the wide angle VVTi. Previous VVTi was limited to I believe 20° of advance or retard the wide angle allows 35° now. That gives the freedom to have the engine run in Atkinson cycle and Otto cycle.
Sheddy (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18, 09:55 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Dual VVTi is nothing new the 1,2,3GR all had it along with 1.2UR and I think 1,2ZZ had it as well. What is new with our motor and the 2GR-FKS is the wide angle VVTi. Previous VVTi was limited to I believe 20° of advance or retard the wide angle allows 35° now. That gives the freedom to have the engine run in Atkinson cycle and Otto cycle.
Got it.

The VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing intelligent Wide) allows the valve timing to be changed smoothly according to the engine operating conditions. This is achieved by turning the intake camshaft relative to the drive sprocket in the range 75-80 ° (in the crank angle).

The VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing intelligent) system allows the valve timing to be varied smoothly according to the engine operating conditions. This is achieved by rotating the exhaust camshaft relative to the drive sprocket in the range 50-55 ° (in the crank angle).

Even though we are running lean in the lower RPM range it is where we are making those peak torque figures, then we get that dip.

For those who still may not understand HP/TQ and dyno readings.

Last edited by Sheddy; 01-31-18 at 10:27 AM.
Pacific13 (02-01-18)

Quick Reply: IS200t tune