Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 07:16 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Shed-Why are you selling the JB4? Is it going to be produced?
anyway for anyone interested, i have for sale a JB Stage 1. PM me if interested.
Coming from a reflash tune to a piggyback is very noticeable. The BMS is a great product for a plug and play tune, but my TTI reflash is obviously the stronger of the two. I am not sure if the JB4 will be produced yet since they are working on other projects that has more interest.

@loophole & FOWL
I was suprised with my stock dyno numbers as well on 93oct. It made 214whp (SAE) 220whp (STD) in stock form.

These were my results with the PPE test pipe, charge pipe, TMD & drop in filter.
BLUE- stock tune
RED- BMS stage 1 +5 PSI

I have not tested the JB4 on the dyno, but it seems to like +6 psi according to my datalogs.

Last edited by Sheddy; 06-06-18 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-06-18, 04:06 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by loophole35

I have no doubt in my mind that the modified turbo hits 24 PSI but likely tapers down after 5000RPM. Not a big deal. It’s still making over 400HP at the flywheel (getting very close to double the stock HP).

Sheddy showed 220HP and we’ve seen other post of stock cars around 210 or less. Sheddy’s car looks to be a bit of a unicorn because he is making much more power that BMS is advertising on the stage 1.

If our our cars are using the same size injectors as the 2GR then isn’t RR still using the stock injectors with their supercharger?
Our modded turbo could probably peak 26psi but that’s not what I’m saying it ain’t staying in the 24s on the top end. Usually you need to turbo swap if you wanna run that kinda boost over 5k rpm. Bare in mind our compressor blade might look big but the compressor turbo itself is still relatively small, atleast the exhaust manifold turbo side looks beefy. It appears as if trd upgraded the tg20 by swapping the compressor side of the turbo, increaseing it’s size while leaving the exhaust manifold side stock.

Id be willing to run with 220whp stock @ +17% crank, could have been perfect weather conditions and not heat soaked with a ton of fans. Those numbers where confirmed being stock and they’re is no such thing as a unicorn, I guarantee I’m putting down just as much as sheddy if not more.

Im sure rrracing is still using the stock injectors however they have two more injectors and two more cylinders. Also the supercharger isnt making much more than 400whp. They could probably enlighten us on the injector size if we asked though

Old 06-06-18, 06:36 PM
loophole35
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

No our hot side looks big but the measurements TTi took show it to be smaller than a GT28 turbine. The turbo spools easy but eventually the hot side will become a bottleneck. You need to balance the two sides for a good all-around turbo. If we increase the hot side to make boost longer the boost will come on later. Of course there are tricks to get around this but they decrease reliability.
Old 06-06-18, 08:54 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

No our hot side looks big but the measurements TTi took show it to be smaller than a GT28 turbine. The turbo spools easy but eventually the hot side will become a bottleneck. You need to balance the two sides for a good all-around turbo. If we increase the hot side to make boost longer the boost will come on later. Of course there are tricks to get around this but they decrease reliability.
Im specifically talking about the compressor side of the turbo itself excluding the turbine inducer/exducer blades. Yes you absolutely need both sides to be balanced in terms of turbines, TRD went into the TG20 upgrading the inducer/exducer turbines but also upgrades the compressor turbo (inducer turbine housing) while leaving the exhaust manifold turbo (exducer turbine housing) untouched. Again it’s either our injectors holding us back or our modded turbo compressor (not turbines) running out of efficiency past 5k rpm due to size. I would think it’s the injectors, if not then we need to do an actual turbo swap or wait for the TG20. 24psi past 5k rpm with our engine should be more north of 400whp not 345... expecially if we already do 330 @ 19.5 psi. Either they’re quoted 24psi @ 345 isn’t really 24 psi or it’s actually hitting 24psi top end but the injectors aren’t able to keep up inefficiency
Old 06-07-18, 07:37 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

I am sure the TG20 Spec B is using a much larger hot side and wastegate section to hold the boost longer.
Old 06-07-18, 12:27 PM
loophole35
Pole Position

Did a little digging on the fuel system in our cars. I can not find the flow rate of the DI but the port injectors are 67 to 82 cc (4.1 to 5.0 cu. in.) per 15 seconds. Now before you start yelling that those are small all aftermarket injectors are measured at 43.5 PSI for 60 seconds. Now the fuel pressure on the port side is variable from 28 to 121 PSI there is not specified pressure used for the flow test but if we just assume minimum and maximum this specs allow 60 second flow rate could vary from 268cc to 682cc.
Old 06-07-18, 09:42 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

This is a picture of our stock exhaust turbo manifold. It looks to be the same size as the trd version. We know for a fact that the compressor housing is bigger because we visually confirmed that while back. However I can’t definitively say the exhaust turbo manifold is bigger. Obviously the turbines would be upgraded but I think the tg20 used the stock exhaust turbo manifold while upgrading the compressor side entirely
Originally Posted by Sheddy
I am sure the TG20 Spec B is using a much larger hot side and wastegate section to hold the boost longer.
Old 06-07-18, 09:49 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

This is the kind of flow test we need performed on our injectors. That the only real way to come up with the exact answer.
Did a little digging on the fuel system in our cars. I can not find the flow rate of the DI but the port injectors are 67 to 82 cc (4.1 to 5.0 cu. in.) per 15 seconds. Now before you start yelling that those are small all aftermarket injectors are measured at 43.5 PSI for 60 seconds. Now the fuel pressure on the port side is variable from 28 to 121 PSI there is not specified pressure used for the flow test but if we just assume minimum and maximum this specs allow 60 second flow rate could vary from 268cc to 682cc.
Old 06-08-18, 12:23 AM
808NXF
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS200TFOWL

This is the kind of flow test we need performed on our injectors. That the only real way to come up with the exact answer.

Let's hope it's not a fueling limitation since we'd be SOL if it is. As you can see from the 8AR-FTS D-4ST injector staging graph released by Toyota, port injectors are only used in low and mid load conditions. Top end conditions rely solely on Direct injection, therefore, if our injectors are maxed out there would be little we could do. Oh and in case anyone is wondering, upgraded after market Direct injectors pretty much don't exist.

However, there still may be hope. Here is another graphic from the Toyota GT-86 forums that I thought might be of value since the GT-86 uses the same D-4S technology.

Makes me wonder what our dual injectors are really doing during a given condition. Knowing this and knowing if tuners could manipulate when each set of injectors pulse would shed light on how much more potential this platform might have.
Old 06-08-18, 04:55 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

That staging makes no sense from an emissions perspective. DI is better for idle emissions. And yes tuners SHOULD be able to manipulate when the port injectors are active.
Old 06-11-18, 12:14 AM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Originally Posted by 808NXF
Let's hope it's not a fueling limitation since we'd be SOL if it is. As you can see from the 8AR-FTS D-4ST injector staging graph released by Toyota, port injectors are only used in low and mid load conditions. Top end conditions rely solely on Direct injection, therefore, if our injectors are maxed out there would be little we could do. Oh and in case anyone is wondering, upgraded after market Direct injectors pretty much don't exist.
However, there still may be hope. Here is another graphic from the Toyota GT-86 forums that I thought might be of value since the GT-86 uses the same D-4S technology. Makes me wonder what our dual injectors are really doing during a given condition. Knowing this and knowing if tuners could manipulate when each set of injectors pulse would shed light on how much more potential this platform might have.
There are plenty of aftermarket injectors that can be implemented given you have the money you’ll waste for r&d. Anything Is possible for the 8arfts. Not to sound cocky but our engine is the successor to the 3sgte. They’ve taken the old mr2’s up to 500whp on stock internals big turbo and fuel upgrades. The same will be doable for us hopefully some more tuner shops will get they’re hands on our engines
Old 06-11-18, 12:53 PM
808NXF
Driver School Candidate

There are plenty of aftermarket injectors that can be implemented given you have the money you’ll waste for r&d. Anything Is possible for the 8arfts. Not to sound cocky but our engine is the successor to the 3sgte. They’ve taken the old mr2’s up to 500whp on stock internals big turbo and fuel upgrades. The same will be doable for us hopefully some more tuner shops will get they’re hands on our engines
The 3sgte fueling system is quite different from ours considering it only uses port injection. You can do all the R&D you'd like on injectors, but it wouldn't make a difference with our current tuning options. Fortunately last week OVTuned released their end user tuning option which claims to have full D-4ST fueling control in addition to more than 200 other maps and tables. I'm pretty excited for the possibilities, even thinking about buying the master tuning suite but $3100 is a little steep right now.
Old 06-12-18, 12:01 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Originally Posted by 808NXF
The 3sgte fueling system is quite different from ours considering it only uses port injection. You can do all the R&D you'd like on injectors, but it wouldn't make a difference with our current tuning options. Fortunately last week OVTuned released their end user tuning option which claims to have full D-4ST fueling control in addition to more than 200 other maps and tables. I'm pretty excited for the possibilities, even thinking about buying the master tuning suite but $3100 is a little steep right now.

Look, injectors are injectors. You’re making it complicated. PI works off of DI. In lamest terms the fuel is pushed out of DI and basically just redirected to a different port within the cylinder creating PI. Why would you even gamble $3100 lol OVtune doesn’t actually have any impressive dynos but have at it. If you’re in the market buy a proven tune from Taiwan like JRC, they’ve hit 255 whp with only a downpipe and intake tube

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-12-18 at 06:06 PM. Reason: knock off personal comments
Old 06-12-18, 01:05 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Let's not get another moderator warning please.

I would like to see JRC's tuning results. I've tried contacting them regarding testing their tune but they seem to be busy.
Old 06-12-18, 01:55 PM
808NXF
Driver School Candidate

Look, injectors are injectors. You’re making it complicated. PI works off of DI. In lamest terms the fuel is pushed out of DI and basically just redirected to a different port within the cylinder creating PI. Why would you even gamble $3100 lol OVtune doesn’t actually have any impressive dynos but have at it. If you’re in the market buy a proven tune from Taiwan like JRC, they’ve hit 255 whp with only a downpipe and intake tube

Our 4 cylinder engine has a total of 8 injectors (4 low pressure port injectors and 4 high pressure direct injectors). Each injector, regardless of type, is controlled electronically via the ECU. The port injectors are located pre intake cylinder valve outside of the combustion chamber, whereas the direct injectors are located post intake valve and their nozzles squirt directly into the combustion chamber. Despite what you think, there is no redirection to different ports. Now remember that these injectors are electronically controlled? We’ll if you payed a little more attention to detail you would have seen that I posted a fuel staging graphic, made available by Toyota, which represents when our different type of injectors are activated based on speed and load conditions. At the highest load conditions, only direct injectors are in use NOT port injectors. Now do you see why upgrading port injectors will do little for top end power? Maybe TTI or JRC already has a solution for this and that would be great leading me to buy those.

On a side note OVTunes poor dyno numbers could very well be lack of experience with the platform and is not a direct reflection of their tuning product. I’m excited because it’s yet another product on the market pushing development of our platform.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-12-18 at 06:08 PM. Reason: check pm

Quick Reply: IS200t tune