Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 10:36 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheddy
You’re welcome!
I’ll definitely recommend reaching out to BMS regarding that connector, it’s not the first time I’m hearing about the fitment issue. Enjoy!
Hmmm I thought it was my imagination, but one of my connectors won’t actually click but it seems to hold with no issues. Might have to ask for a replacement too.
Old 01-27-19, 11:15 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Yea see what happens. I doubt they will have spares though but wouldn’t hurt to ask. I know the connectors were the reason for the product delay so the fitment is not perfect but it still does the job.
Old 01-27-19, 11:32 AM
WhyHateTho
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

Hmmm I thought it was my imagination, but one of my connectors won’t actually click but it seems to hold with no issues. Might have to ask for a replacement too.
Same issue here. My replacement didn't click, but holds.
Old 01-27-19, 05:16 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm so standoffish about a piggy back system like BMS JB4 since I got the Scorcher and it showed zero results. I really wish a local (american based) company would put out a full tune for the 8AR engine.
Old 01-27-19, 06:18 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

I haven’t tried the Scorcher but I had good results with the BMS and TOMS piggyback systems. Let’s see what OV and RR Racing have in store...
Old 01-28-19, 01:12 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

I read a post on the OV tuning website about tuning the RC350 that was very in depth. It sounded really promising. But I have found nothing about the 8AR engine. I messaged them and they stated they plan on releasing a tune for it but there was no time line mentioned.
Old 01-28-19, 01:21 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
I read a post on the OV tuning website about tuning the RC350 that was very in depth. It sounded really promising. But I have found nothing about the 8AR engine. I messaged them and they stated they plan on releasing a tune for it but there was no time line mentioned.
Yep.. hotly anticipating... hopefully, they come good.
Old 01-29-19, 12:39 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Default Thought you guys may be interested in this...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...nals-look.html
The following 2 users liked this post by skyshadow:
nan88 (02-03-19), Pacific13 (01-30-19)
Old 02-04-19, 08:55 PM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Cool pictures!
Old 02-05-19, 08:07 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,629 Posts

per those photos it looks like carbon build up on the intake valves is going to be a real thing as this car ages a bit. at 60k miles those valves look pretty caked.Those intake ports on the head are caked too. i thought port injection hybrid system would help mitigate this a lot better. i wonder if flooring the car/driving it aggressively helps as i understand under load the car switches to port injection. or do i have that backwards. i forgot.

be simple and reliable or compete w/ the big boys and share similar issues.
Old 02-05-19, 08:28 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
per those photos it looks like carbon build up on the intake valves is going to be a real thing as this car ages a bit. at 60k miles those valves look pretty caked.Those intake ports on the head are caked too. i thought port injection hybrid system would help mitigate this a lot better. i wonder if flooring the car/driving it aggressively helps as i understand under load the car switches to port injection. or do i have that backwards. i forgot.

be simple and reliable or compete w/ the big boys and share similar issues.
in theory port injection would solve the DI carbon build up issue but it really comes down to how often it is used. I have been searching for data that indicates the type senario and length of time the port of injection would be used and have been unsuccessful. Also I recall reading some where that the eco switches between fuel injection cycles depending on load and speed to save fuel.
Old 02-05-19, 08:32 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

This is the best I could find

8AR-FTS 2.0L turbocharged inline four cylinder direct injection engine that can run on both Otto and Atkinson cycles. The 8AR-FTS engine has Lexus’ ESTEC D-4ST (Economy with Superior Thermal Efficient Combustion Direct injection 4-stroke with Turbo) fuel injection. With separate twin injectors for both direct and port injection, ESTEC D-4ST could perform high-pressure direct injection into the cylinder and conventional intake port injection, or direct cylinder injection only, according to engine speed.”

If I am understanding this correctly, during heavy throttle accelation both port and DI injectors are used, so that means a little bit of a heavy foot is called for every tank full to help avoid carbon build up
Old 02-05-19, 02:24 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

^Good little paragraph, From that you could theorize...

We know the Otto to Atkinson cycle changing is a valve timing gimmick, It's not a true (mechanical) Atkinson cycle. Essentially they are leaving the intake valve open for part of the compression stroke to decrease cylinder compression thus resistance against the piston and the rotating assembly as a whole. Why am I saying all this... Well from an engineer's standpoint, leaving the intake valve open during compression could cause port injection type engines to fuel flood or fuel starve randomly. One cylinder would throw away it's fuel (out the intake valve) while another would get too much (other cylinder's fuel). This is important because, I would wager that whether the engine is in Otto or Atkinson would determine if it's in port injection or direct. Just an educated guess though, I have nothing from Lexus backing that is when the two are used. But, we do know that Atkinson cycle is used when the engine is trying to be more efficient.

I do not think it uses both under full throttle though. The perks of DI are increases in performance from higher compression paired with timing very close to top dead center. This is because pre-ignition or "pings" can not happen without fuel. With DI, Fuel is added with spark or very very near the same time. If the ports were already full of fuel mixed air going into the cylinder, the point of DI would not be.
Old 02-06-19, 12:06 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
^Good little paragraph, From that you could theorize...

We know the Otto to Atkinson cycle changing is a valve timing gimmick, It's not a true (mechanical) Atkinson cycle. Essentially they are leaving the intake valve open for part of the compression stroke to decrease cylinder compression thus resistance against the piston and the rotating assembly as a whole. Why am I saying all this... Well from an engineer's standpoint, leaving the intake valve open during compression could cause port injection type engines to fuel flood or fuel starve randomly. One cylinder would throw away it's fuel (out the intake valve) while another would get too much (other cylinder's fuel). This is important because, I would wager that whether the engine is in Otto or Atkinson would determine if it's in port injection or direct. Just an educated guess though, I have nothing from Lexus backing that is when the two are used. But, we do know that Atkinson cycle is used when the engine is trying to be more efficient.

I do not think it uses both under full throttle though. The perks of DI are increases in performance from higher compression paired with timing very close to top dead center. This is because pre-ignition or "pings" can not happen without fuel. With DI, Fuel is added with spark or very very near the same time. If the ports were already full of fuel mixed air going into the cylinder, the point of DI would not be.
I was under the impression from my research that port injection occurred during low performance or while cruising? DI usually happens during high load by itself with no port injection. I could be wrong though, I’m seeing conflicting reports here on CL.
Old 02-07-19, 04:51 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

I will run it up to the Foreman tomorrow but you have to remember, some of our biggest power improvements where when we switched to DI. It bit us in the *** and we had to start using port again to wash the valves. We left port for performance, port is not our performer.

Quick Reply: IS200t tune