Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-19, 04:48 AM
WhyHateTho
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chezgk
Getting on the Dyno now for some OV remote tuning. Let's see how this goes...

What's on your grill?
Old 11-16-19, 05:06 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by WhyHateTho
What's on your grill?
KC HiLites driving lamps. Baseline below (flashed back to stock, FTP charge pipe, TTi TMD) :

Old 11-16-19, 05:11 AM
WhyHateTho
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

KC HiLites driving lamps. Baseline below (flashed back to stock, FTP charge pipe, TTi TMD) :

Keep us updated champ.
Old 11-16-19, 05:33 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Third file fixed throttle CELs. Overlayed to stock.

Old 11-16-19, 06:10 AM
Thirst16
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those look like very small gains. I get that max power gains are just part of the equation, but still. I was expecting a little more. This seems similar to the JB4.
Old 11-16-19, 06:23 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thirst16
Those look like very small gains. I get that max power gains are just part of the equation, but still. I was expecting a little more. This seems similar to the JB4.
That was just to sort things out and keep you guys posted since throttle CELs were an issue to some. We're above that now. Will post final graphs later.
Old 11-16-19, 08:43 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

As it is rather late in this part of the world, a screenshot of OV's latest FB post would have to suffice as a results announcement. They've uploaded some charts over there as well. I promise to write something more detailed tomorrow/later.

Am I happy with how everything finally turned out? I sure as heck am. Cheers all.

Last edited by chezgk; 11-17-19 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-17-19, 10:36 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 103 Posts

As it is rather late in this part of the world, a screenshot of OV's latest FB post would have to suffice as a results announcement. They've uploaded some charts over there as well. I promise to write something more detailed tomorrow/later.

Am I happy with how everything finally turned out? I sure as heck am. Cheers all.

Nice. NX's are FWD right? So less gains for RWD for IS200T and RC200T/RC300.

I want to buy but still want to see other member issues resolved before biting the bullet.
Old 11-18-19, 03:49 AM
bartolini9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is clearly said above that's an AWD...

Yes, you have an option to buy NX with FWD only.
Old 11-18-19, 04:11 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Post Tune review

Originally Posted by tnilc
Nice. NX's are FWD right? So less gains for RWD for IS200T and RC200T/RC300.

I want to buy but still want to see other member issues resolved before biting the bullet.
Hi, my NX is AWD. You can expect bigger numbers with both RWD and FWD vehicles.

================================================================================================

Now, onto the tune review.

Some folks here might recall that I've had the following issues in the past:
  1. Flipped modes for 1.01G-C 02
  2. Weak low/mid-range due to my FTP charge pipe for 1.02
  3. Stock rev limiter for 1.02 despite 1.01G-C 02 having already bumped it up
With these in mind, I got into the remote tune session wishing for the following:
  1. Restored low/mid-range power lost from installation of aftermarket charge pipe
  2. Possibly increased top-end to take advantage of improved plumbing
  3. Safety margin to allow for bad gas
  4. Rev limiter raised back to 1.01G-C 02 levels
OV achieved all of the above and made the vehicle pull harder than even 1.01G-C 02. We got to hit 228 AWHP at some point, but I'm attaching below the chart that concluded our session, overlayed with the stock/factory tune's data in red.

While max figures are indicated, there are some things I wish to highlight that perhaps affect drivability more than the former:
  • At least 200 AWHP, the former peak, is now available from roughly 3800 to 6000 rpm.
  • The powerband widened a little towards the low-end and even more so towards the top-end. This makes staying in a lower gear longer before shifting into prime rev range possible, improving overall acceleration.
  • Rev limit increase to 6600+ rpm eliminates double upshifts at 6000 rpm, which happens when the vehicle decides to auto-upshift at the same time I do. I understand that this is not an issue with ISs.
  • I don't think dyno charts show this, but the vehicle seems to get to the top-end faster than before.
  • Throttle response is faster than ever.
I'll just go ahead and quote Mat's post-tune breakdown here:
Run notes: from graph >

2500 RPM torque gained > 47 ft lbs
3500 RPM torque gained > 26 ft lbs
4500 RPM torque gained > 24 ft lbs
5500 RPM torque gained > 45 ft lbs

Horsepower gains..
5500 RPM > 45 AWHP gained
5800 RPM > 52 AWHP gained
So, yeah. We pretty much saw gains everywhere. With this tune, my NX's the most fun to drive it's ever been. I'm also happy to have a perfect file to fall back to should future updates not work out for me - a "stable build" of sorts in software parlance.

Further notes and theories

It is without doubt that all of this wouldn't have been without Mat's skill. Having said this, a 50+ AWHP gain up top seems rather out of the ordinary, given the supposedly tiny stock turbo that comes with our 200ts. I theorize that the turbo muffler delete and aftermarket charge pipe played a role in this, since the factory part replaced by the latter had so much kinks and flow interruptions.

Now, don't get me wrong; I replaced the charge pipe as insurance, firmly believing that it will do nothing in the way of performance. I only started thinking about it when I noticed a decrease in low/mid-range in exchange for better top-end pull. Could it be that the increased total internal volume of the charge pipe, as a result of fewer kinks and despite having identical in/out diameters, delayed boost buildup, as there was a bigger space to pressurize? Did the smoother path work favorably up top, reducing compressor-side resistance - the compressor is connected to the turbine, after all - and increasing flow capacity?

I can't say for sure, but OV was definitely able to take advantage of my setup.

Last edited by chezgk; 11-18-19 at 04:18 AM. Reason: clarity
The following 4 users liked this post by chezgk:
bartolini9 (11-18-19), rawzkee (11-18-19), RC350s (11-19-19), Thirst16 (11-18-19)
Old 11-18-19, 04:49 PM
tnilc
Instructor

================================================================================================

With these in mind, I got into the remote tune session wishing for the following:
  1. Restored low/mid-range power lost from installation of aftermarket charge pipe
OV achieved all of the above and made the vehicle pull harder than even 1.01G-C 02. We got to hit 228 AWHP at some point, but I'm attaching below the chart that concluded our session, overlayed with the stock/factory tune's data in red.

While max figures are indicated, there are some things I wish to highlight that perhaps affect drivability more than the former:
  • At least 200 AWHP, the former peak, is now available from roughly 3800 to 6000 rpm.
  • The powerband widened a little towards the low-end and even more so towards the top-end. This makes staying in a lower gear longer before shifting into prime rev range possible, improving overall acceleration.
  • Rev limit increase to 6600+ rpm eliminates double upshifts at 6000 rpm, which happens when the vehicle decides to auto-upshift at the same time I do. I understand that this is not an issue with ISs.
  • I don't think dyno charts show this, but the vehicle seems to get to the top-end faster than before.

So, yeah. We pretty much saw gains everywhere. With this tune, my NX's the most fun to drive it's ever been. I'm also happy to have a perfect file to fall back to should future updates not work out for me - a "stable build" of sorts in software parlance.

It is without doubt that all of this wouldn't have been without Mat's skill. Having said this, a 50+ AWHP gain up top seems rather out of the ordinary, given the supposedly tiny stock turbo that comes with our 200ts. I theorize that the turbo muffler delete and aftermarket charge pipe played a role in this, since the factory part replaced by the latter had so much kinks and flow interruptions.

Now, don't get me wrong; I replaced the charge pipe as insurance, firmly believing that it will do nothing in the way of performance. I only started thinking about it when I noticed a decrease in low/mid-range in exchange for better top-end pull. Could it be that the increased total internal volume of the charge pipe, as a result of fewer kinks and despite having identical in/out diameters, delayed boost buildup, as there was a bigger space to pressurize? Did the smoother path work favorably up top, reducing compressor-side resistance - the compressor is connected to the turbine, after all - and increasing flow capacity?

crap how did I not see the AWD part. Haha. I just jumped to the numbers and graphs.
Old 11-18-19, 04:54 PM
tnilc
Instructor

reading on my phone. So to clarify your only mods are TMD and charge pipe? Not sure if I missed any other mods since I’m on my phone.

I’m on a RC300, with TMD, PPE catless downpipe, invidia midpipes, and injen intake. I’m on a BMS stage 1 tune but still run stock axle backs. I’m excited at the possibilities.
Old 11-18-19, 05:24 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

crap how did I not see the AWD part. Haha. I just jumped to the numbers and graphs.
Haha no worries, mate. Totally understandable as I'm sure a lot of people have been waiting for info for quite some time now.

reading on my phone. So to clarify your only mods are TMD and charge pipe? Not sure if I missed any other mods since I’m on my phone.

I’m on a RC300, with TMD, PPE catless downpipe, invidia midpipes, and injen intake. I’m on a BMS stage 1 tune but still run stock axle backs. I’m excited at the possibilities.
As far as engine mods go, yes, the TMD and charge pipe are my only mods. Not even an intake or an aftermarket air filter. Mathew told me we could likely get to 60-70 AWHP gain with a downpipe and full exhaust, but the latter isn't something I want to do, and options for the former are too prohibitive at the moment, with the cheapest being over $1000. Having said these, there's a high chance you'd see higher gains on the RC than I did on mine.

As no turbo upgrade options would likely be coming for the NX, I think this reflash is the end of the road as far as my vehicle is concerned. Not too shabby, definitely, and plenty adequate for the kind of roads we have here. Maybe a Lotus Evora IPS (same transmission as the NX and transverse 6AT Toyota V6s) A/T valve body and Quaife helical diff in a few years - who knows. Ah, I digress.
Old 11-19-19, 12:11 AM
tnilc
Instructor

I hope there's more to hear from OVTune before that Black Friday Sale ends.
Old 11-19-19, 12:50 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I hope there's more to hear from OVTune before that Black Friday Sale ends.
Black friday sale??

Quick Reply: IS200t tune