Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 05:39 PM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmunger17
I just got my 380 GotTuned turbo installed last week and have been running the D3 tune for about a month and a half now. When turbo was first installed it sounded great (you can hear more turbo spooling), but was a little worried when I stepped on it and didn’t give me full boost, likely because the engine hadn’t adjusted to the new turbo yet. A quick reflash later and a day or so of normal driving and I was back to good boost numbers. Now I’m just waiting on the D3 turbo upgrade tune to get some good power down.

Note: I have injen intake, catless down pipe, and charge pipe with D3 93 octane tune and will frequently lose traction in 3rd and 4th when downshifting from 8th!

lol you're waiting on me to give them my car back, it'll be a little bit idk when ill have time to drop my car off.
Old 09-29-21, 06:07 PM
Cmunger17
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NikNikNik
lol you're waiting on me to give them my car back, it'll be a little bit idk when ill have time to drop my car off.
Hahah I’m in the Dallas area and said if they could find a shop they’re more than welcome to beat the hell out of the car, but they didn’t respond lol. I just can’t make it up to them sadly.
Old 10-06-21, 07:34 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
Question

I just got my 380 GotTuned turbo installed last week and have been running the D3 tune for about a month and a half now. When turbo was first installed it sounded great (you can hear more turbo spooling), but was a little worried when I stepped on it and didn’t give me full boost, likely because the engine hadn’t adjusted to the new turbo yet. A quick reflash later and a day or so of normal driving and I was back to good boost numbers. Now I’m just waiting on the D3 turbo upgrade tune to get some good power down.

Note: I have injen intake, catless down pipe, and charge pipe with D3 93 octane tune and will frequently lose traction in 3rd and 4th when downshifting from 8th!
Sorry I saw this just now. Great to hear it's running well for you. I've been in talks with GotTuned for a "380-lite" version, with the 44/52 turbine of the 380 paired with the 330's 45.4/62 compressor (vs the 380's 49/62), for the following *theoretical* reasons:

- Compressor inducer and turbine exducer stays close in size to maximize the flow potential of either component. (1.03 ratio)
- The ratio of major diameters (compressor exducer to turbine inducer; 1.19 on the upgraded turbo, 1.10 on the factory turbo) stays fairly close to the ideal 1.15 (from lots of online reading and by no means authoritative).
- Larger compressor exducer allows the same boost to be achieved at lower shaft speeds, relative to the stock turbo.
- Larger turbine, while heavier, provides greater flow capacity and torque to drive the compressor.

Incidentally, the major diameters (62/52) would be close to those of the IHI VF52's (60/48) that's popular in the Subaru scene. The minor diameters, however, are smaller. (45.4/44 vs 46.3/48) My decision to proceed with this would ultimately hinge on either D3 or vF successfully providing control of boost and fueling, but I've tried to do as much homework as I can in the meantime.

Some questions, if you don't mind:

- Did you notice increased lag with the bigger, heavier 44/52 Mamba turbine wheel that GotTuned installed? If so, by around how many rpm?
- If you log using Techstream or one of those OBD2 apps, what max. MAF g/sec reading does your 200t see, now that the turbo has been upgraded?
- The turbo comes from Poland. Did you have to pay duties?

Thanks!

Last edited by chezgk; 10-06-21 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-06-21, 07:54 AM
Cmunger17
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chezgk
Sorry I saw this just now. Great to hear it's running well for you. I've been in talks with GotTuned for a "380-lite" version, with the 44/52 turbine of the 380 paired with the 330's 45.4/62 compressor (vs the 380's 49/62), for the following *theoretical* reasons:

- Compressor inducer and turbine exducer stays close in size to maximize the flow potential of either component. (1.03 ratio)
- The ratio of major diameters (compressor exducer to turbine inducer; 1.19 on the upgraded turbo, 1.10 on the factory turbo) stays fairly close to the ideal 1.15 (from lots of online reading and by no means authoritative).
- Larger compressor exducer allows the same boost to be achieved at lower shaft speeds, relative to the stock turbo.
- Larger turbine, while heavier, provides greater flow capacity and torque to drive the compressor.

Incidentally, the major diameters (62/52) would be close to those of the IHI VF52's (60/48) that's popular in the Subaru scene. The minor diameters, however, are smaller. (45.4/44 vs 46.3/48) My decision to proceed with this would ultimately hinge on either D3 or vF successfully providing control of boost and fueling, but I've tried to do as much homework as I can in the meantime.

Some questions, if you don't mind:

- Did you notice increased lag with the bigger, heavier 44/52 Mamba turbine wheel that GotTuned installed? If so, by around how many rpm?
- If you log using Techstream or one of those OBD2 apps, what max. MAF g/sec reading does your 200t see, now that the turbo has been upgraded?
- The turbo comes from Poland. Did you have to pay duties?

Thanks!

Wow I’m curious to see how that turn out! As for your questions, no noticeable increase in lag thanks to D3’s tune. Off the line our car tends to struggle from 1k rpm to about 3.5k and it doesn’t look like this is going anywhere anytime soon, but it doesn’t seem worse compared to the smaller turbo and once it hits 3.5k there’s enough pressure in the turbo to put some power down. There’s a notable difference in rolling starts at around 25-30mph and you can definitely feel the power increase. I haven’t logged anything, but I can see if the D3 tuner device can record this. And no duties, just $90 for shipping and about $20 for using a credit card. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 10-07-21, 09:21 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow I’m curious to see how that turn out! As for your questions, no noticeable increase in lag thanks to D3’s tune. Off the line our car tends to struggle from 1k rpm to about 3.5k and it doesn’t look like this is going anywhere anytime soon, but it doesn’t seem worse compared to the smaller turbo and once it hits 3.5k there’s enough pressure in the turbo to put some power down. There’s a notable difference in rolling starts at around 25-30mph and you can definitely feel the power increase. I haven’t logged anything, but I can see if the D3 tuner device can record this. And no duties, just $90 for shipping and about $20 for using a credit card. Let me know if you have any more questions.
My D3 tune for the enhanced throttle in Sport+ is insanely responsive and fast accelerating from a stop. It caught me off guard by a lot and I was like...whoaaa...AWESOME lol

I've seen some people with other cars with tunes add things like the pedal commander throttle controller to their cars. I wonder if something like this would be able to be installed with the D3 tune or if it's a risky move? Anyone want to test it out? lol
Old 10-11-21, 06:13 AM
tyxben
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler

Hi guys, I been running gottuned hybrid 380 for almost a year, currently on JB4 custom tune, attached log file for your reference. Previously VFtuner is unable to make proper gains with their maps according to my tuner, in fact Matt did a remote tune with my tuner, the end results is much worse than JB4. As you notice from the maps, the throttle position shut down from position 100 to 50 even I was on full throttle, i do not know how the ECU detects, either it is torque? boost or delta in RPM change, etc. It just limits the throttle opening where it will not make good power. Just hoping the latest OV tune/d3 managed to crack the ECU and unleash the beast. the hybrid def eliminate the stock turbo lag and make it very responsive, my club members test drive and confirmed my findings. (some on Toms, some using other tune kit)
Attached Files
File Type: csv
P25_M2_R4_210710_2105.csv (189.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-12-21, 10:47 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tyxben
Hi guys, I been running gottuned hybrid 380 for almost a year, currently on JB4 custom tune, attached log file for your reference. Previously VFtuner is unable to make proper gains with their maps according to my tuner, in fact Matt did a remote tune with my tuner, the end results is much worse than JB4. As you notice from the maps, the throttle position shut down from position 100 to 50 even I was on full throttle, i do not know how the ECU detects, either it is torque? boost or delta in RPM change, etc. It just limits the throttle opening where it will not make good power.
Thanks for sharing your log. I opened it in MegaLogViewerHD and tried to organize groups as close as I can to my usual format, shown below. Interesting how you get a huge throttle drop close to redline. Based on my understanding of how the JB4 works, it intercepts the boost signal and dupes the ECU into thinking it's at lower boost, prompting a higher wastegate duty cycle to compensate, hence "ecu_psi" being lower than target and actual boost. The boost psi numbers seem rather low, but that could just be units lost in translation with the JB4.

Would you have access to Techstream software? One of the more accurate ways to see how much additional air the new turbo is feeding in is by logging RPM, Vehicle Load, Vehicle Speed, Boost Pressure Sensor, Target Boost Pressure, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Accelerator Position. For the safety side of things, it's worth including Knock F/B Value, Knock Correct Learn Value, Ignition Timing Cylinder #1, too. A decent OBD2 splitter may be necessary to log with JB4 plugged in. A sample log from my NX is attached below. While the throttle units between our logs may differ, the one on mine doesn't drop as much. Our ignition timing values on the top end are similar. There's quite a huge difference around 4370 rpm, though. (13 degrees advance on mine, 6 degrees advance on yours)

Originally Posted by tyxben
Just hoping the latest OV tune/d3 managed to crack the ECU and unleash the beast. the hybrid def eliminate the stock turbo lag and make it very responsive, my club members test drive and confirmed my findings. (some on Toms, some using other tune kit)
Similarly, Mat did a remote dyno tune on my NX as well. While exploring vfTuner, I found a table that applies a multiplier table to timing values across the load and rev range (verified via several logs). The figures were pretty high from the custom OV tune, so I brought them a little closer to factory figures for safety. I reckon this table was the primary reason I was happy with the low end, pre-boost response.

Boost control on vfTuner has been rather difficult. I've tried various permutations of changes on the different boost tables provided in the software and only found one table capable of effecting a change to target boost. Even then, target boost would seem to converge to a fixed value in the upper rev range. If I cut boost to just 0.5 bar / 7+ psi all the way, target boost would still increase towards 6000 rpm. If I set it to 1.3 bar / 19+ psi all the way, target boost would decrease towards 6000 rpm.

There are several happy D3 customers in the last few pages alone, though most comments pertain to increased low/mid throttle response, which I don't have much problems with, rather than boost control. I fear that neither vfTuner nor D3 can control upper boost targets at the moment, else we would have seen a log/screenshot from either party by now.

I'm sharing the above screenshot as a final note. At peak torque, the direct injectors are spraying less than 7 ms per cycle, which seems to be regarded as the fueling limit for DI motors. At 6250 rpm, they're spraying just 5.228 ms per cycle, while fuel pressure oscillates around target with ease. With ample fueling headroom, there's likely plenty of power to unlock - if we could only control boost targets to take advantage of the larger turbos.
Old 10-13-21, 04:43 AM
tyxben
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tuner has a boost gauge installed during tuning(i read 1.55 and it holds 1.3-1.4), confirmed that JB4 trick the ecu to boost higher, so to say the boost readings are in-accurate. (check out
)

My friend is running a custom hybrid using ecu tune via some software, it indicates 1.3-1.4bar constant, and 0-100mph i am ahead by half/1 car lenght or so, his pick up is much faster by half a car lenght. His boost are holding 1.3bar constantly. The biggest hurdle will be the closing of throttle body where other logs in jb4 using stock turbo follows the pedal and throttle (almost par value). We will have to determine which parameters we hit that are too close for comfort that ecu limit my throttle body
Old 10-13-21, 02:14 PM
Spyder84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Received the email update from D3Performance.
Will be updating, when I get the chance.

Last edited by Spyder84; 10-13-21 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-13-21, 06:01 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spyder84

Please do share a log of MAF, RPM, Vehicle speed, and Absolute load if it's not too much trouble. Logging via Techstream also allows Boost Pressure Sensor and Target Boost Pressure to be logged.
Old 10-13-21, 07:09 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Let me know when you do it, does it delete your stock tune file?

I am in CA, unfortunately when you get smogged you have to be on your stock ECU tune. I want to make sure my stock tune doesn't get erased.

I asked D3 if it's possible to extract the stock tune so I can keep it somewhere safe but have not received a reply yet.
Old 10-13-21, 07:16 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Actually, I suppose I could go back to stock, then do the update, back up the stock file again and then change the maps...
Old 10-15-21, 09:59 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

I did the update on mine (2016 GS200t) and I like it. I think I notice a few improvements but overall, between the transmission, throttle and boost tuning, it feels as if there is a much larger engine in the car based on the responsiveness and overall low end punch that the engine can deliver. I remained with the stock shift points instead of the available 6400rpm points since I am not sure if there is an actual benefit with such a small turbo. I mainly stay below 5500 rpm where the engine seems to pull best.
Old 10-16-21, 04:31 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
I did the update on mine (2016 GS200t) and I like it. I think I notice a few improvements but overall, between the transmission, throttle and boost tuning, it feels as if there is a much larger engine in the car based on the responsiveness and overall low end punch that the engine can deliver. I remained with the stock shift points instead of the available 6400rpm points since I am not sure if there is an actual benefit with such a small turbo. I mainly stay below 5500 rpm where the engine seems to pull best.
Flashed the updated high octane enhanced throttle tune, definitely seems to deliver the power more smoothly and a bit more quickly than the older flash.

Old 10-17-21, 09:54 AM
tnilc
Instructor

I still haven't updated yet, I will probably try next weekend.

If anyone knows how to export the stock base tune, let me know. I want to keep a file safe somewhere. If you're in California, you do too. lol

Quick Reply: IS200t tune