Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-03, 08:50 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have decided to move forward with the sound proofing. I will be purchasing the "brown bread" material and will do the install myself. Bitkahuna has some excellent step by step pictures of his install and I will use those as my guide. I will do this in the next couple of weeks when I get more time and I will share my experience with you guys to let you know the results. I will do the whole trunk and probably under the rear seats. I really hope this does the trick (BTW, I can always go back to my OEM equipment and try to find some quality tips that I would like - and take a loss in selling my L-tuned exhaust
Old 05-26-03, 09:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

There's SOME lessening of the drone by soundproofing but I must point out before you do all that work (and spend the money), that it's not dramatic. You can always do more soundproofing than I did of course, maybe two layers, or more Vcomp or Lcomp or try to get more under the carpet in the footwells of the rear seats (I didn't do that).

Good luck!
Old 05-27-03, 08:06 AM
SPORTS
Driver

Thanks Bit,

I am planning to put a layer of brown bread AND a layer of the Lcomp in the trunk and under the seats. The brown bread cost is not that prohibitive but the Lcomp sure is. I am debating doing the job in stages (see how the brown bread works alone and than maybe install the Lcomp in stage 2). In your opinion is it more important to insulate the trunk area or the rear seat area? I may only put the Lcomp in only one of the two locations. The only draw back of this dual stage install would be the extra work.

Mario
Old 06-21-03, 07:16 PM
sld
Driver

I was thinkin bout the L-Tuned exhaust also for my GS300, but as you can see by my sig, I have a lot invested in audio equipment. I'd hate to have a drone effecting my audio sound. I might just get some tips.
Old 06-21-03, 07:46 PM
SPORTS
Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sld
I was thinkin bout the L-Tuned exhaust also for my GS300, but as you can see by my sig, I have a lot invested in audio equipment. I'd hate to have a drone effecting my audio sound. I might just get some tips. [/QUOTE

Remember, the drone is very bothersome to me but others don't feel the same way. I do actually like the sound overall. It is all personal taste.
Old 06-28-03, 01:26 PM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision

Originally posted by INHOCJP
I also LOVE the sound of my L-Tuned. FYI, it was actually Bit's write-up on his L-Tuned exhaust that convinced me to purchase one. Although the exhaust probably hasn't given me a noticable HP boost, my car sure sounds more powerful No regrets here, it was money well spent.
INHOCJP,

Hey I see you have Ltuned exhaust and a GS300, I'm considering the same conversion and wanted to know how easy was it to install and was there any improved looks in the back. I want an exhause on my GS300 that sounds a little healthier but not too load. Is this a good definition of what you received when you switched over? BTW, what do you have on your intake to compliment the new axhaust?

Thanks,

rocklings

Old 06-28-03, 01:27 PM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision

Originally posted by INHOCJP
I also LOVE the sound of my L-Tuned. FYI, it was actually Bit's write-up on his L-Tuned exhaust that convinced me to purchase one. Although the exhaust probably hasn't given me a noticable HP boost, my car sure sounds more powerful No regrets here, it was money well spent.

What is a drone and is there any other exhaust systems on the market that minimize the effect?

Last edited by rocklings; 06-28-03 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-28-03, 10:01 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision

Originally posted by rocklings
[B]INHOCJP,

Hey I see you have Ltuned exhaust and a GS300, I'm considering the same conversion and wanted to know how easy was it to install and was there any improved looks in the back. I want an exhause on my GS300 that sounds a little healthier but not too load. Is this a good definition of what you received when you switched over? BTW, what do you have on your intake to compliment the new axhaust?

Thanks,

rocklingsB]
Rocklings: The install is really simple. The l-tuned is a direct replacement for the stock exhaust, so it bolts on pretty quick. I had a local muffler shop do the install for me (since there was a 1 week wait to get it done at the nearest dealership). It took them about 15 minutes to complete the job.

The sound is great. Not too loud, but definitely a big difference from stock. There's a nice "woof" on start up, the exhaust souds nice when I hit the gas, and it also sounds pretty good when idling. I wanted an exhaust that would add a little "grunt" to my GS, but not be obnoxious sounding. The drone issue has been discussed a lot. Some owners have had problems w/ the drone effect, which is basically a sound effect that sounds like a constant "humming" noise. Sorry for that weak explanation, but its the best I can do. The drone is most apparent when driving at a constant speed w/ the RPM around 2000-2500. To be honest, I personally haven't experiencd this problem, or maybe it just doesn't bother me.

As for looks, the upgrade was a no-brainer. The stock tips look pretty weak. If you do a search for l-tuned in the picture gallery, you'll find some pics of GS's w/ the exhaust installed. If you need some close ups, let me know and I will take some pics and send them to you.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 06-28-03 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-29-03, 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

To add to INHOCJP's comment on drone... it's most apparenty between 1800-2100 rpms with part throttle. That's when the exhaust seems loudest because other noise is low at that point (unless the stereo is crankin'). One simple solution is to drive in '4' or M-4 so the tranny doesn't go to 5th, which is really only needed on the highway anyway.
Old 06-29-03, 01:40 PM
rocklings
Driver School Candidate

INHOCJP & BIT,

Thanks for the reply...it makes my decision a lot easier

rocklings
Old 07-02-03, 05:37 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking The dreaded L-Tuned drone

A search for “drone” will bring up 3 pages of posts – several of them by me. I was pretty pi$$ed about the 2K drone for awhile but circumstances are different now and I haven’t heard it in ages. Where did it go? Did I just get used to it?

The answer is … it’s still there, and no I didn’t get used to it.

Two things happened to make it a non-issue. A torque converter and I drive it differently. I e-shift practically 100%, usually starting in 2 and seldom going above 4 unless I’m really on the highway. Most of my driving is urban and unless I’ll be at 50 or 60 for more than a minute or two, I’ll keep it in 4. I drive very “spirited” (fast) and I like the acceleration I get by controlling when the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur – so I shift manually.

It’s not really just the 2,000 rpm, it’s 2k in 5th that makes the resonance apparent. It is most noticeable when the engine is passing through 2K in top gear (5), slowly accelerating – not fast enough to kick-down – that’s when it drones. I just don’t do that anymore.

My driving style isn’t for everyone but I can tell you that without the 2K drone the L-Tuned exhausts sound fantastic. In fact, for my tastes, I’ve probably got the best sounding GS4 on the planet! When I say that, I include the SRT intake with a modified cold air box. It’s been on a dyno twice and there’s not much I’ve heard that sounds better at wot! It really GROWLS!

In fact, I related a story about how guys came out of the “woodwork” at Dallas Mustang when I (tried) to dyno it there. They loved the sound – didn’t know that it was a Lexus until they came into the dyno area – they thought it was a Cobra or blown SVT, etc.

It really does sound MEAN! Whenever someone drives it away (service, etc.) I never go inside until after I listen to it going away – awesome!

That’s my story an I’m stickin’ to it.

Last edited by garnet92; 07-02-03 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-03-03, 03:27 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Re: The dreaded L-Tuned drone

Originally posted by garnet92
My driving style isn’t for everyone but I can tell you that without the 2K drone the L-Tuned exhausts sound fantastic. In fact, for my tastes, I’ve probably got the best sounding GS4 on the planet! When I say that, I include the SRT intake with a modified cold air box. It’s been on a dyno twice and there’s not much I’ve heard that sounds better at wot! It really GROWLS!

In fact, I related a story about how guys came out of the “woodwork” at Dallas Mustang when I (tried) to dyno it there. They loved the sound – didn’t know that it was a Lexus until they came into the dyno area – they thought it was a Cobra or blown SVT, etc.

It really does sound MEAN! Whenever someone drives it away (service, etc.) I never go inside until after I listen to it going away – awesome!

That’s my story an I’m stickin’ to it.
I love your story!!

I too have the L-tuned exhaust but without the SRT intake and the TC, and I also think my GS is the best sounding car on the planet!!

I do the exact same thing as you when I take my car for service, I don't go inside till the car has been driven away!!!
Old 07-03-03, 08:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Hameed, you're making a big mistake coming to Deal's gap. When you see the GS's there with intakes and TC's, you're gonna be calling someone to buy!
Old 07-03-03, 10:55 PM
DontHateSc
Rookie

please define drone... your best friend DontHateSc.
Old 07-04-03, 03:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Hameed, you're making a big mistake coming to Deal's gap. When you see the GS's there with intakes and TC's, you're gonna be calling someone to buy!
That's partly why I am coming to Deal's Gap - to hear, feel and see what all the hype is about around the TC and intake!! :

Originally posted by DontHateSc
please define drone... your best friend DontHateSc.
Very simply, annoying, irritating, grinding on the nerves and ears.................. . To sum it up, unpleasant noise.

Last edited by Hameed; 07-04-03 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision