Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 03:04 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision

After my recent suspension upgrades, I am really considering the L-tuned exhaust system. I have read the posts dealing with this topic but I have a few more questions. Outside of the 'sound' difference and aesthetic changes what are the benefits and/or drawbacks of this system? Is the stock exhaust heavier or lighter (in weight)? Is there really a 5-6hp increase with the l-tuned? Some say there is actually a loss of power on take off - comments? Does it affect fuel efficiency in a positive or negative manner?

I am a little concerned about the sound at 2000 rpm but I am awaiting the sound clip comparison from another member of this forum - I hope it helps. If that is not helpful I will try to hook up with Hameed to hear his car as he lives only an hour away.

I just don't want to waste the money if it is only sound oriented, I can achieve the aesthetic improvement by installing tips only.

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-14-03, 07:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts
Default Re: l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision

Originally posted by SPORTS
Is the stock exhaust heavier or lighter (in weight)? Is there really a 5-6hp increase with the l-tuned? Some say there is actually a loss of power on take off - comments? Does it affect fuel efficiency in a positive or negative manner?

I just don't want to waste the money if it is only sound oriented, I can achieve the aesthetic improvement by installing tips only.
The L-Tuned mufflers are probably HALF the weight and size of the factory mufflers. I'd guess 5lbs vs. 10lbs each.

Don't buy an exhaust for the HP gain - it's not worth it. I felt (but it could have been wishful thinking) that the L-Tuned exhaust made my GS a bit quicker. It certainly didn't develop a loss of power, no way. I don't believe it affected fuel efficiency either way. Worrying about fuel efficiency with a fairly expensive mod like an L-Tuned exhaust seems silly to me. Mod a civic if that's your concern.

If you only want the aesthetic improvement, sure, go for tips only. I personally LOVE the sound.
Old 04-15-03, 06:05 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Default Re: Re: l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision

Originally posted by bitkahuna
The L-Tuned mufflers are probably HALF the weight and size of the factory mufflers. I'd guess 5lbs vs. 10lbs each.

Don't buy an exhaust for the HP gain - it's not worth it. I felt (but it could have been wishful thinking) that the L-Tuned exhaust made my GS a bit quicker. It certainly didn't develop a loss of power, no way. I don't believe it affected fuel efficiency either way. Worrying about fuel efficiency with a fairly expensive mod like an L-Tuned exhaust seems silly to me. Mod a civic if that's your concern.

If you only want the aesthetic improvement, sure, go for tips only. I personally LOVE the sound.

Thank you for the response, I will debate it some more whether this mod is really something I personally would enjoy to the extent that would justify the money.
Old 04-15-03, 10:13 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision

I also LOVE the sound of my L-Tuned. FYI, it was actually Bit's write-up on his L-Tuned exhaust that convinced me to purchase one. Although the exhaust probably hasn't given me a noticable HP boost, my car sure sounds more powerful No regrets here, it was money well spent.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 04-15-03 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-18-03, 06:51 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Default GOING AHEAD WITH THE L-TUNED EXHAUST

I have decided to go ahead with the L-tuned exhaust afterall. After reading all the posts on it, speaking with some members and the fact that I am getting an excellent deal from my local Lexus dealer on the purchase and install, I really look forward to this next mod.
Old 05-22-03, 06:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Mario,

How do you like the L-tuned exhaust? We have to get together sometime.

Check your email and PM's and post a reply to this thread please
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=83973
Old 05-22-03, 06:17 PM
SPORTS
Driver

Hameed

I have already posted a reply to the 'Canada Meet " thread. I look forward to the meet - if you want to get together before that, I would like to see your car with all the new mods in person. As far as my latest mod the L-tuned exhaust, I still have mixed feelings. I love the sound at the start and when punching full throttle but I find the "drone" at 1800 - 2000 RPM's very annoying. I was thinking of getting rid of the exhaust after 3 days. I have had lots of correspondence with Paul (Bitkahuna) and he was awsome with sharing his thoughts. I am exploring the option of soundproofing the car but I am still undecided. I really like the look of the car with the new exhaust and tips. (I wish I could have just found the L-tuned tips only)

Mario
Old 05-22-03, 08:20 PM
rwerth7
Driver School Candidate

Default L-tuned exhaust

Bit is right on. The sound is great. After a couple of days you won't imagine driving w/o the sound.
Old 05-23-03, 01:23 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hameed

I have already posted a reply to the 'Canada Meet " thread. I look forward to the meet - if you want to get together before that, I would like to see your car with all the new mods in person. As far as my latest mod the L-tuned exhaust, I still have mixed feelings. I love the sound at the start and when punching full throttle but I find the "drone" at 1800 - 2000 RPM's very annoying. I was thinking of getting rid of the exhaust after 3 days. I have had lots of correspondence with Paul (Bitkahuna) and he was awsome with sharing his thoughts. I am exploring the option of soundproofing the car but I am still undecided. I really like the look of the car with the new exhaust and tips. (I wish I could have just found the L-tuned tips only)

Mario
Thanks for responding to the Canada meet thread, Mario!

Yes, let's try to get together soon so that you can see my car. Here is a link to my gallery https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...at=500&thumb=1

Yes the noise from the L-tuned exhaust between 1900 - 2100 rpm is very annoying. I will be doing some sound insulation this summer.
Old 05-23-03, 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Hameed
Yes the noise from the L-tuned exhaust between 1900 - 2100 rpm is very annoying. I will be doing some sound insulation this summer.
A TC upgrade is the better way.
Old 05-23-03, 12:22 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Sounds like a plan!!

I would have to factor in a tranny cooler as well. It looks like it will be closer to $500 - 600 for the whole thing. I have to wait some more. I just ordered 6000k HID's to upgrade my fogs and next will be the wood trim kit.

Last edited by Hameed; 05-23-03 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-23-03, 08:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Hameed
Sounds like a plan!!

I would have to factor in a tranny cooler as well. It looks like it will be closer to $500 - 600 for the whole thing.
$500-600 for TC, cooler, and install? Pass the crack pipe. More like U.S.$1500!
Old 05-23-03, 09:49 PM
SPORTS
Driver

As per our previous conversations, the TC and tranny cooler was my next planned mod but I will monitor the information on this site some more prior to going ahead with it. I still have concerns over possible "side effects" of the TC to the other components of our "wonderful machines".

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mario
Old 05-24-03, 06:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

$500-600 for TC, cooler, and install? Pass the crack pipe. More like U.S.$1500!
Yeah, it certainly sounds as if I was on crack!! )

I won't be doing that upgrade for a while............. Have to do rims/tires first after the car is paid off by next year. Like Mario said, I am also concerned about the possible negative side effects of the TC upgrade. (mainly transmission issues)
Old 05-26-03, 10:40 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I love the sound at the start and when punching full throttle but I find the "drone" at 1800 - 2000 RPM's very annoying. I was thinking of getting rid of the exhaust after 3 days.
I think that the "drone" is the dirty little secret of aftermarket exhaust that no one really wants to talk about. When i first had my Borlas installed, the low rpm drone got my attention right away and turned my smile into a frown. My wife starting complaining before we even got out of the neighborhood. I too had my Borlas removed in 3 days and I even tried a custom Magnaflow setup until I eventually went back to OEM mufflers with aftermarket tips. At the time, no one was talking about the drone and I thought that I was having it because I only have a GS300. Some people seem to be able to ignore it but I think that all perspective buyers should be aware of it.

Quick Reply: l-tuned exhaust upgrade decision