Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake Education.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-03, 05:00 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intake Education.....

Ok I have questions on intakes. How does the intake work exactly? What is the difference between one with a ECU chip and one without it? What are the positives and negatives of adding the intake? Can an intake be installed by the average Joe or will it require professional installation. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
Old 04-18-03, 05:28 AM
Tranman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, an open element intake system basically just removes the restriction of the factory airbox. Factory airboxes are made to make the engine as quiet as possible (for normal everyday people), that's why you see single or multiple baffles on the way to the intake manifold. Those baffles make the engine intake noise even quieter.

Also, since there is less restriction that obviously means that you are also getting more air with alot less stress. So the engine can breathe better..thus make more power and more gas mileage. However, since the factory ECU was tuned with the factory airbox in mind, it may not efficiently dole out the correct fuel mixture for the extra incoming air. So that's why the ECU chip comes it, it modifies the signal so that the ECU will be able to give the right amount of fuel for the air. This may also be achieved using a fuel controller (HKS S-AFR or Apex'i S-AFC) and tuning it on a dyno.

There isn't really any negatives about adding the intake system other than the extra noise at WOT. Of course, if you are performance orientated like most of the people on this board, you'll enjoy the sound..I know I do

The intake can be installed relatively easy. I installed mine in under 20 minutes...really easy. However, add some more time if you're going to be installing the ECU chip.